Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Methinks we're being played.

Blog Entries

Cool Methinks we're being played.

Something's fishy here. All of a sudden we have a number of "Newbys" acting like "Numptys" & asking the same questions over & over again, yet igoring our requests for further information. PGVoutdoors asks that we either make the "intro" section a part of the "sign-up" process or "dump it". That would be Chris' decision, not mine or Rick's. However, when people come on here deliberately abusing the process then steps must be taken. I suggest that no member of the Wolf-Pack waste their time answering anybody who is ignoring a request for more info so we can better answer their question in the 1st place. Furthermore I will no longer waste my time on any "Newby" who asks for advice, then turns around and criticizes the person who gives it because it didn't fit in with what they wanted to hear. For all I know these are part of Brad & Adrian's camp followers...maybe. But whoever or whatever, I'm not playing. & if I get anymore profile messages like the one I just received a little while ago, I'm going to ban that person. Newby's; (those responsible) you've been warned!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Does it go the same with the Cat pack Sarge?

I agree with you Sarge,I think we ARE being played,really strange that soo many newbies coming in within such a short period of time,throwing out the same questions!

I kind of think that maybe the newbies should get a 24 hour "cooling off" period,in which they can only read the posts already on the forum,before they start posting,maybe a newbie section of must read threads.

I know it doesn't sound fair,since we didn't have to do it,but thats just my opinion.
    Last edited by nell67; 07-29-2008 at 03:15 AM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Starving Artist

at risk of opening a can of worms - who are Brad & Adrian?
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Dennis - They actually were the impetus for the Numpty sticky http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...read.php?t=378 They make an intro in post 11. In a nutshell, they came here said they were going into the wilderness for 30 days with nothing but their knives, all the while filming so they could sell vids on their website. They didn't quite make it that long.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sarge, does that mean I'm not allowed to toy with their little heads? Cuz I kind of liked the advice I gave that guy yesterday
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Starving Artist

I see, said the blind man. Methinks, if I'm bored, I should seek their vids on YouStupid.

FWIW - I appreciate the advice here - and take it with a grain of salt. I know about what i am capable of and where my shortcomings are, I read a lot, ask some questions, then go and try something.
    The only thing difficult about that is occasionally forcing myself to seize the opportunity to shut up and listen.
    Dennis K.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis K. View Post
    The only thing difficult about that is occasionally forcing myself to seize the opportunity to shut up and listen.
    I may have been guilty of that a time or two myself Dennis. I must say, to my knowledge you've shown the grace to not call someone a liar after they offered advice you may not have liked, which has happened here a time or two. ( I don't do it either, I just curse them under my breath and kick the computer, lol)
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Starving Artist

similar nonsense on the trombone forum - some kid (or more recently, some adult with an axe to grind) feels like they can "present their case..."
    Dennis K.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

Sometimes ya gotta remember - If you don't like the answer, don't ask the question.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I agree with you Sarge,I think we ARE being played,really strange that soo many newbies coming in within such a short period of time,throwing out the same questions!

I kind of think that maybe the newbies should get a 24 hour "cooling off" period,in which they can only read the posts already on the forum,before they start posting,maybe a newbie section of must read threads.

I know it doesn't sound fair,since we didn't have to do it,but thats just my opinion.
    Imagine you're not a member of the forum and you come here for the first time.

Maybe you see a thread you like to answer. So you go through the registration process, then wait for the email confirmation to come, then do the email confirmation, then you can post your answer in the thread, only to be told "sorry, come back tommorow."

Or, maybe you want to ask a question, and you do all of the above, only to be told to wait a day.

What are the chances you just go find a different forum or site?

The goal of the forum is NOT to be exclusive, it is to be inclusive. If you do not care to answer a new person's post, do not answer it, you're under no obligation to do so. But so long as they're not spamming (ie, posting links, selling shoes, etc) then they can post their questions, even if they're simple, because, everyone has to start somewhere right?

You'll see it if you stay around long enough, the person who started out posting the dumb questions in say 5 years becomes the one answering them, and the hard questions too. One forum I was a member of for 9 years I saw such things numerous times. One guy in fact I gave career advice too, and he took it, and now he's doing quite well, and I got to see the whole length of his transformation from knowing nothing to being an expert.

So give the newbies a break. We all were newbies once, well most of us, one of two of you may have sprung out of your moms fully grown and well versed in the topics already.

awwww....way to put me in my place Chris! (gotta kick the computer again, now, these guys are gonna quit buying me computers &@*! it!)

...but I'm probably gonna keep toying with them, it's like Igor torturing things, it's my nature....

sand mountain al

Thumbs down imAnewbeee

i missed sumthin .i used to just half a-- hobie around with the idea of moven to alska in the middle of no were a liven a fine life .ever sense i was 10yrs old.needless to say i got caught up in the rat race , raisen my kids .any way 1 day i got up , was listen to the news on the way to work ,thought dam boy payattention look around every things going to hell .no mater how hard i work my kids arent going to have a chance .INLESS I TEACH them how to realy live .so then i found yall ,a few others ,i read ,ask any an every thing i could think of . i learn from yall ,i teach them .whats wrong with that ?im not tryin to piss any one off just wonderin .about newbees if im way off base then sorry .im old school guess dont beat around the bush put it out on the table . needless to say i think u folks are very smart , me , mine can learn alot from yall .an not be out in the cold thanks .great cite i hope i can learn , teach a newbee also .
    lifes great slow down and pay attention.be surprised what youve ben missing

I like Chris' post. That makes a lot of common sense. Non judgemental, compassionate, Good business ethic. All for one and one for all I say.

I agree with Nell too. There should be required reading as part of the registration process as a 'To Help You Get Started' kind of thing and that could be the title of the sticky or category. Redundant questions (to which the answers are already posted) take up bandwidth among other 'frustrations'. Encyclopedic information should be a part of any informative forum.
    Last edited by Ridge Wolf; 07-29-2008 at 01:48 PM.

Default yo mountainboy

What you said, I've got no problem whatsoever with. What's happened is a lot of people have logged in and asked questions that quite frankly, don't deserve a serious answer because none of the experienced people have enough information from the person asking to give them a well informed answer. And when it's done over and over and over, we get frustrated. I've been meaning on a couple of these guys myself the last couple of days, but honestly, if I'm asked a serious question that I can offer an informed answer on, I always will and I'll offer up where I got my information from.

sand mountain al

Arrow think i SEE

someone maken a joke of what we here r taking serious, enjoyable
    lifes great slow down and pay attention.be surprised what youve ben missing

im a newbie here and i have read alot and have asked some questions,none that i hope anyone has taken offense too because they have been previously asked.

thing is like with the trapping website i have, it does get aggravating to answer the same question over and over, But i think many times if the question has been asked before, some of the new members may not realize it, and they just dont know the basics and need help starting out

.i was actually going to post a thread about making butter but found one a few pages back and brought it back up.

what i did on my forum was to actually create an archives section with the most commonly asked basic questions answered in detail. those trheads are saved in the archives for future use by new members indefinitely.that way it saves you from having to answer the same questions repeatedly. the new members can be directed there.

even if a new person asks a repetitive qurestion, they may not realize its repetitive because if theyre new and just starting out, they are gonna be learning from the bottom up and arent gonna know the answers to many basic questions.

i have had to caution members on my forum that sometimes if they put off a new member by giving arrogant or condescending answers that theyre hurting the future of trapping because they may alienante somoene early on to the sport who has a legitimate thirst for knowledge on a given subject, no matter how basic someone else may think it is.
    Last edited by TrappinGal; 07-29-2008 at 04:32 PM.
    I'm sweet as sugar but tough as nails.

BTW, i found this forum by Googling survival forums.

Banned
    Blog Entries

, You'll see it if you stay around long enough, the person who started out posting the dumb questions in say 5 years becomes the one answering them, and the hard questions too. One forum I was a member of for 9 years I saw such things numerous times. One guy in fact I gave career advice too, and he took it, and now he's doing quite well, and I got to see the whole length of his transformation from knowing nothing to being an expert.

Which is a point I have made, or attempted to: You can end up with a lot of book learned, or google learned people, who have never been outdoors, but they can google up an answer. We have it here with young people who have never owned a firearm, or discharged a firearm, but are experts. You have people who have never had bears in camp, who are bear experts.....end rant.
    Last edited by Rick; 07-29-2008 at 04:41 PM.

how long does someone have to partake in any given activity to be an expert on that subject, in your opinion?