Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What weed?

Question What weed?

If Rick got to do it why can't I?

There is a type of weed that I see everywhere but no one seems to know what it is. I've tried googling it but I come up with nothing. It has a hairy stem and it smells like carrots. It grows very high, I've seen it up to 8 feet atleast. If any of you know what it is, is it edible? Here are a couple of pitures of it...

Whole without the roots
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Close up
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Thanks
    Daniel
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Banned
    Blog Entries

Looks like a limb off a cheap fake Christmas tree.

My brother said the same exact thing. Lol
    ~Rocky Balboa

Whereabouts did you find it? Country, State, Town?
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    Looks like a limb off a cheap fake Christmas tree.

Now that there Hopeak is fricken funny! Best post yet!

Wild Carrot. That would be my PRELIMINARY guess. I'd like to see the root and the flower just to make certain. The hairy stem and odor of carrot is pretty distinctive. The early leaves resemble Poison Hemlock except Wild Carrot has a hairy stem. The roots of first year Wild Carrot can be used just like carrots.

Go over to the plant database, I posted some pictures on Wild Carrot there including the flowers.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thats what i thought. we call it queen annes lace here. ive never seen it 8 ft tall though.

im not sure though because i went out and looked at ours and the plants arent near that bushy.

heres a link to a site where you can see some pics. theres one there of the foilage as well.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/qal.html
    I'm sweet as sugar but tough as nails.

Default Not wild carrot / queen annes lace

It's here in the US. I've seen it all over the southeast, though this particular one pictured is from Elberton, Georgia. It grows just about everywhere and it doesn't have any flowers. It's not wild carrot / queen annes lace. While searchng though, everything comes up with that. I guess because I put carrot in for the smell.

Daniel
    ~Rocky Balboa

i have no idea then.

Same thinking here on the wild carrot/queen annes lace (that's what we call it here too) but I've never seen anything near that tall either. Funny, when I saw the title for the thread I seemed to remember asking that same question to a LEO who pulled me over on the highway when I was about 19. I may have repeated though, like Weed? What weed?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

.... to me it looks like rosemary, not quite, but close, which can get tall, and does have a scent, though, not like carrots. It doesn't look like carrot to me, or parsnip.

They're all members of the parsley family, and they have compound form leaves. This plant definitely does not have compound leaves, not to my eyes. If you Google "Parsley family" you'll see a lot of sources with all the plants in the family, none of which look like that.

Consequently, for you cooks, this is why parsley and carrots go good together.

Here is a list of weeds from that family: http://www.wildflowers-and-weeds.com...s/Apiaceae.htm

could it be wild asparagus?

heres a pic.

http://www.arkive.org/media/79712109...-asparagus.jpg

nope, definitely not that. Asparagus doesn't have a hairy stem, and while the leaves look slight from afar, they're actually like fern fronds, very complex.

I have two people in a class of mine that are avid gardners. One of them even worked at a nursery. I'll ask them tomorrow if they recognize it and let you know if they can tell what it is.
    ~Rocky Balboa

If you tell us that came off a fake Christmas tree I'm going to be upset!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If that's what it is then money doesn't grow on trees, but weeds in my yard.
    ~Rocky Balboa

That weed looks like Marestail to me. I'm not certain since it looks a little lush for marestail, but I'd say it is.

Welcome aboard, rightcoast. If you would, how about going over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Your outdoor experience, what you like to do, etc. Things like that.

That is Polyethylenicus christmasticus
    Last edited by RobertRogers; 07-30-2008 at 09:27 AM.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

You are da man, RR! I should have known that. Hopeak proves once again that old men (no offense to old men) have a handle on it.