Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: a few questions about bannock

I like bannock use to make it a lot when I went night fishing for catfish. Mandatory fire provided the heat.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Heres another great recipe for Bannock.

MULTI GRAIN BANNOCK:

1 Cup Barley flour
    1 Cup Wheat flour
    1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
    1 Cup White Sugar
    1/2 to 1 Cup Raisins or other dried fruit
    1 1/2 Cup Buttermilk (only if you have some on say your first day.)
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 tbsp. Coarse Ground Salt
    1 tbsp. Cinnamon
    1 tbsp. Cloves
    1 tbsp. Nutmeg
    Jesus is my king.

Sarge - Move to Survival Food
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

This is the recipe that I use for my students that I take out on primitive living trips.

BANNOCK
    2 Cups Flour
    1 Stick Butter
    3 Tablespoons Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
    1/2 Cup Powdered Milk

Mix all ingredients together until mixture is like sand. Place in zip-lock bag. You can use it all at once or a little at a time. And it will last a long time as long as you keep the bag zipped.

Makes about 1 pound.

When you are ready to use, mix with a little water until it becomes a dough. Cook and eat when cooled.

ENJOY!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Sorry folks, but I look at bannock as something more along the lines of dessert. I also make it with a very simple recipe.

First get yourself some flour, as much as you want.

Then get yourself some cinnamon sugar, enough so that it's visibly mixed in and equally distributed throughout the sugar.

Then mix water into it until you've got a nice dough going on. Now I greased up a frying pan with just a little bit of butter, but if you're out in the wild I'm sure you'll get by either without butter or by substituting animal fat for it.

Like everyone says, cook until golden brown and booyah, you've got what I call the dessert version of pita bread. mmmmm, I'd make some for breakfast tomorrow if our gas lines weren't out of commission. By the way, this recipe makes it taste quite a bit like fried dough that you get at carnivals and the like.

Enjoy,
    -Austin

Grass bender

Anyone ever made bannock exclusively with items foraged? Flour from grinding roots, etc?

We always made two kinds of bannock. The first we made without sugar, in the oven in small one inch round patties...we called them biscuits. We made another and we added sugar with a bit more water and we put them in a spoonful glob on the pan....we called them shortcake. Then we had about the same thing with lots of water and a couple eggs and fried the mixture on a hot skillet and we called them pancakes. I think the stick is the thing that turns it into bannock.

one day ill be free

has anyone made bannock from the flour made from cattails,...and what happens if you remove the baking powder from the mixture, ie flour and water?

Hmmmm...while somebody is baking up an answer for you, how about heading over to the Introduction Section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel