Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: live for a year

Banned
    Blog Entries

Do you have a rough location picked out......? By the way some here have spend long periods alone in the North Woods. And some here have had friends go in, and never come out.

If I was going to do it today, I would just lease a real remote cabin. Or better yet, buy remote land and build your own cabin, that way at the end of one year you would really have something. That is what I did a long, long, long time ago. Good luck on your quest, a Dream is a wonderful thing to have, better than money, or fame.

What if you dream for money and fame? What then?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    What if you dream for money and fame? What then?
    Then you should read Siddhartha and/or Burning Daylight. I never met a dying man who wished he had more money and/or more fame. A lot of Famous people self'abort, actors and recording artist.

Blog Entries

Cool Uh, Bibow...

Quote Originally Posted by Bibow View Post
    i was'nt dissing old coot i was just saying people are making alot of comments about age when i made that list i kinda meant wrote it in 5 minutes ( should probably not have written that and choose better words) it's been somethhing to think about in my head for the past few months i have decided that i would if i ever did go bring a small and large pot with a lid that i could use for a fry pan if i really needed to. snare wire and a large water container. oh yeah nothing against you ol coot thanks for the advice
    I don't give a rat's hind parts about how old you are. We've got members here about your age who have done more already in the bush than most of the other members, you included, just dream about. It's your ridiculous approach to this whole thing. I like the outdoors too, usually in the late spring to early fall. The rest of the time I don't go out into the bush save for short outings. I like to enjoy myself, not try to make my own "life & death" situation. Your list spells "Numpty" to me. You come across as very immature & irresponsible. Remember how you started this thread out about the 2 Numpty's with just their knives & the clothes on their backs? They didn't even make the 30 days they were trying to make & had to give up in less than half that time. They wouldn't listen to this group either. Like I said, I don't care about the numbers of your age, just the ones that demonstrate your I.Q.. Does the name "Alexander Supertramp" mean anything to you? How about "Chris McCandless"? I don't know where abouts you live or are planning on going, but I don't give much for your chances.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-27-2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: oops.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

non-senior senior member Assassin Pilot's Avatar

for all concerned adults: being only a few years older than him I can assure you all he is simply daydreaming and does not plan on doing this anytime soon. no need to rip on him.

ontopic, the list Crash gave it pretty good. you would really need more shelter materials (tarp, ropes, etc), emergency supplies (first aid, medicine, etc), hunting stuff (ammo, snares, etc), and tools (knives, saw, etc). would it really even be fun if you were cold and hungry the entire time?
    "He who throws dirt is losing ground"

Default Long time survival

I am new to this so may not be doing this right.Well anyway here goes. If you were going to live in the wilderness without anything except the bare necessities what would you take? Besides rifles,pistols?,knives and ammunition. Remember just the bare necessities.Like the old time Mountain Men.

Default Oh NO!!!!!!

Hey firefly,how about going to the intro thread,and telling us a little about yourself,like your age and do you have any practical experience in the woods to begin with,no one on this forum is going to give up any info on what you should take to the woods to live off of, until they have an idea of what experience you have!
    Last edited by nell67; 07-27-2008 at 09:05 PM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

Cool HA! Another teenager!

Quote Originally Posted by firefly_242_8 View Post
    I am new to this so may not be doing this right.Well anyway here goes. If you were going to live in the wilderness without anything except the bare necessities what would you take? Besides rifles,pistols?,knives and ammunition. Remember just the bare necessities.Like the old time Mountain Men.
    (Mountain man voice)Wal, I'll tell ya Pilgrim, I'd take my overcoat made out of the hide of that "Griz" that I kilt last year by grinnin' him to death; just like 'ole Davey Crockett does. In my bag 'o possibles I carry my pemmican, Deer jerky, Hard-tack, and about a dozen Twinkies I got from that feller in Indiana. 'N cuz I'm a tough 'ole buzzard I'd drink my water out of a "wide-mouth Nalgene bottle". I'd keep my ha'r cut right down to the scalp ta keep the Wild Pawnee & Ranger Rick away, hopefully; & of course my 'ole Jack-a$$, "Newby-Numpty", would be took along ta carry all my other gear, including the wool Blanky I got from another Mountain Man by the name of FVR, who traded it off the Souix for an old Hawken that had pretty much rusted away. Ok?
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-27-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: oops
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

LMAO @ Sarge!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

You are so bad!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Apology

Sorry about just butting in forgot my manners .

Go watch jeremiah johnson and you'll be set. Just kidding

I'd probably bring a Walmart, and a House if I was to go live out in the woods for a year.

Default Survival

I know it sounds idiotic asking about surviving in the wilderness with just what the old men had. But I have read some things that have scared the bejesus out of me. And I am old enough to know better but it isn't just one or two people with the same thinking. If you HAD to survive in the wilderness what bare necessities would you take?

Banned
    Blog Entries

One problem might be that people say surviving, "BUT" in there mind they are thinking "THRIVING" and having fun. Surviving is what lucky concentration camp victims did.

Blog Entries

Cool You got to be kidding!

Quote Originally Posted by firefly_242_8 View Post
    I know it sounds idiotic asking about surviving in the wilderness with just what the old men had. But I have read some things that have scared the bejesus out of me. And I am old enough to know better but it isn't just one or two people with the same thinking. If you HAD to survive in the wilderness what bare necessities would you take?
    1st; like Nell said, get your hindparts over to the "Intro" section & tell us about yourself. Age, experience & geographic location at least. I'll not tell you again. 2nd, your question is "self-defeating". it implies that I know ahead of time that I'm going to have to "SURVIVE"! How dumb is that? Knowing ahead of time that I'd have to SURVIVE I would NEVER take just the BARE nessesities. What idiot would do that? In all liklihood, if I knew I was going to have to SURVIVE ahead of time...I wouldn't go! Sheesh! Read Hopeak's post again, he makes a most valid point.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Since you are still talking about it, here is my quick review of what you are planning to bring into the wilderness to survive for one year. Unless you are some sort of trained wilderness expert I believe your list is lacking. Lacking a lot. One knife not enough. Rifle (you said 30/30. I'd probably have a 22 with several thousand rounds) with 60 rounds. Are you planning on shooting large game for food? How are you going to preserve the left overs? 60 rounds is not enough. Without preserving, 60 rounds = 60 meals. One year alone in the woods = 1,095 meals (if you eat 3 times a day). Hatchet - you may want something a little more substantial to build a long term shelter. Wool blanket - How cold does it get where you are planning the journey? Is a wool blanket enough?. Pan &pot - how about water storage? The trash bags can work for a temporary storage container, but you're going for a year. I'd bring more methods to start fire, more rope, twine, para cord, etc. Here are a few things you left off. First aid supplies, satellite phone, solar charger, more substantial temp shelter, food, reference material, foul weather gear, ......... There is so much more. I admire your desire and determination, but your plan is one that will not turn out well. I asked before, what is the longest that you have stayed out in the bush with no human contact?

Keep in mind, this is a quick review. For planning a journey like this, I would spend many months training, preparing and planning.
    Crash you are wise. When I go for a 2 week hunting trip I start planning 2 months prior. We pack enough food for a month for the number of folks going. As for weapons. I carry a .22 rifle, .44 mag revolver, 12g. shotgun, hunting rifle of appropriate caliber and enough ammo to supply a small revolution. In other words I carry enough stuff to allow me to live for a good period of time. My average load for one of these hunts not including the food and other communal stuff comes close to 100 lbs. Thats only for 2 weeks. If I were going for a year it would take a couple of pick-ups to carry it all.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Default Bibow!

Sit down! Listen up.....you're asking people for their advice and then getting your nose all out of joint when they say things to you that challenges your original assertion. You aren't going to survive the winter anywhere in Manitoba --which is where we both are so I'm guessing that's what you're talking about--with one wool blanket. You'll die, you'll be a dead Bibow. Period. Going "bush" from lack of human contact is a real thing and it's a serious thing. If you sit back and add up the experience of the people who have offered you sound advice here, and the people who have agreed with them, you're looking at hundreds of years of experience. Now, I have some questions:

1. Asked by Crash already, but....do you know how to preserve meat? If not you are far better off with a .22 than .30-.30.
    2. For that matter--how much experience do you have gutting and cutting? You mess it up it could cost you a lot of meat.
    3. Do you know what you're going to eat besides meat? Think back to all the trading expeditions in the 1700's who went tramping off into the Manitoba winter and...died. The bush hasn't changed, you don't have a source of vitamins, salt, starch, minerals etc, you'll die just like they did.
    4. I worked in bush camps for the first half of my adult life,and yeah, age does matter because the more time you've put in on this old planet, the more experiences you've gathered. Get over it, partner. We had a name for the guys who...after sometimes only five or six weeks....were out there thinking the bush was their friend and took up to conversing with the rabbits and the squirrels. The name for them was "towners" because they had to be shipped back. You really think that's all the company you'll need?

Please do a search on some of the other threads so we don't have to keep repeating the same old here. AND, don't give up your plans, just apply some reality and some of the advice given here to those plans.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

On a lighter note.....If I was gonna live like an old time mountain man, I'd make sure I brought an old time mountain woman along.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Or a young Mountain Women

The OP was really broad.

Where am I going? Somewhere in my home state? If so why wouldn’t I go to my own cabin? Can I do that?

Am I alone?

How long do I have to prepare?

Can I drive there? Or do I have to walk?

All of these questions will change my “list”

With out you answering these I will make my presumptions and make my list.

F150 dual gas tanks
    Four-wheeler
    Four-wheeler trailer
    Trailer to haul four-wheeler.
    30.06 5-600 rounds
    12gauge 400 rounds
    22 long rifle 5,000 rounds
    Bow and arrows
    Clothes
    Vitamins
    Satellite phone. You did not say I couldn’t talk to anyone.
    50lbs of salt
    200 lbs of flower.
    25 cases of beer.

That is about it. Everything else is waiting at the cabin. I have spent two straight weeks there without talking to another soul. I enjoyed every minute of it.