Thread: Most durable shelter

Default Most durable shelter

About six months ago, my brother and I were up north for the weekend. We had built a shelter just using branches and boughs off a large cedar that had fallen during a storm the week before. It was a dome type shelter kind of like the one bear made in man vs wild. I even made shingles out of the bark of an old rotten birch.
    Anyways, my parents had just gone up north this past weekend and were walking on the trail when they noticed our shelter deeper in the woods. They said it was still standing, not only that but it was still really sturdy and usable, like it was a week old. Just not as green and a bit weathered.
    I've built many shelters before, but this was my first 'dome' type. i'm surprised it has lasted this long.

what is the best, most durable shelter you have made?

Blog Entries

Cool Mors Kochanski

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    About six months ago, my brother and I were up north for the weekend. We had built a shelter just using branches and boughs off a large cedar that had fallen during a storm the week before. It was a dome type shelter kind of like the one bear made in man vs wild. I even made shingles out of the bark of an old rotten birch.
    Anyways, my parents had just gone up north this past weekend and were walking on the trail when they noticed our shelter deeper in the woods. They said it was still standing, not only that but it was still really sturdy and usable, like it was a week old. Just not as green and a bit weathered.
    I've built many shelters before, but this was my first 'dome' type. i'm surprised it has lasted this long.
    In Mors Kochanski's booklet "The Two Kilogram Survival Kit Field Manual" he shows how to make a shelter using a combination of saplings and man-made materials. Sounds like "Man vs. Wild" paid off for you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

When I was 11 me and my brother made one like that, it was strong enough to climb on. People would drive by and take pictures, the authorities even came out to make sure no one was living in it lol

I lived in a dome mixed with an A-frame like shelter this past april. I lived compleatly primeitive except for my ax, knifes, shotgun, pan, minimal fishing gear, some coardage, small pack, and my clothes... If you call that primeitive.

not to rain on your parade baxter being from the same area but why did you leave your shelter standing, curios on your actions, personally(not saying better) i practice leave no trace ethics in the woods, some ppl have never been taught that and you cannot condemn a man for what he does not know.

always be prepared

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Domes do tend to be the strongest, and longest lasting, just because of their classic arch. That is not to say that more long lasting shelters cannot be made, for for a quickie shelter, the dome is the winner if you have the time and material.

The down side is that they can be harder to heat in extreme cold, due to the larger volume of air to warm up, as opposed to a debris shelter. But they are my favorite shelters if I plan to stay longer than a few days.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Baxter your shelter sounds like the one I would try if there was some birtch bark around here it is a great material it can realy waterproof a roof. leaving it up will let you know how long you could expect it to last might even try to wear it out when you get the chance.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.