Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To keep patience and cool

Default To keep patience and cool

To successfully come out from a situation of sheer test one must have patience and cool head other than the emergency tools. Though it might seem to be a simple thing to discuss but I have felt that on situations of real test it becomes really a challange to keep the cool and patience.

Yeah, I agree. One of the pastors at my church was in some water, fell down and started panicking. He says he thought he was going to drown until some kid yelled at him, "Stand up!" He was in water shallow enough to stand, but unless someone pointed out he could just stand up he may very well have drowned. In most emergency or "emergency" situations, the difference between life and death is sometimes more a state of mind. Above all else: never panic!

Telling someone not to panic in a life/death situation is easier said that done, but it really is necessary if you want to survive. I think our first instinct is to panic, but a cooler head has to prevail if we want to live.

I don't have any issues with maintaining composure during stress situations. It rarely 'hits' me until well after the situation is managed and I have time/space to process it emotionally.

Yes, after the situation is over is when alot of people can`t hold it together any more.

This would be my biggest problem. I am not a person that really does well in any stressful situation. Hopefully I never have to fend for myself in the wild because no matter how prepared I would be I would probably freak.

I have seen many people keeping their cool as if nothing have happened. I must say they are good at it and while I need to learn the art.

I would add this: You don't really know someone until you've known them in a time of extreme stress.

Anyone can be nice, calm and cool during good times, but their behavior in bad times gives you a glimpse into their real self. Any friends or family that panic at the drop of a hat is not someone I would choose to take into a remote wilderness situation.

At 20 years old, I was quick to panic, by 30 that was only partially so, and at 40 I no longer panic over anything, I may lose my temper, but not my cool. Maybe calmness in the face of extreme adversity comes with experience?

Quote Originally Posted by echos View Post
    Yes, after the situation is over is when alot of people can`t hold it together any more.
    I've seen that in others, and myself.

One time, prolly 10 years ago, I was towing a yatch with a small workboat, the yatchs anchor came loose, a 45 pounder, it fell 8 feet into my boat and hit me in the back of the head.

It was a glancing blow, I was seated far forward of where I normally sit, I was trying to improve my sightline, if I was sitting in my normal spot the anchor would have landed directly on top of my head.

Immediately after it happened, once it was determined I was uninjured, I was laughing and joking with the dozens of witnesses, and I gave the 'experienced' skipper an f-word lecture on properly securing an anchor.

The funny part is, about 20 minutes later, by myself, when it really sank in just how close I came to losing my life, I kind of went to pieces, I got the shakes real bad and shed a few tears.

So, I agree, in the moment I stayed calm, but in the aftermath I kinda' lost it a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by arppt01 View Post
    I have seen many people keeping their cool as if nothing have happened. I must say they are good at it and while I need to learn the art.
    IMHO, it's nothing more than a state of mind, the definition of bravery is doing what needs to be done while just as scared as everyone else.

There's nothing wrong with being terrified, just don't let it dictate your actions.

Quote Originally Posted by arppt01 View Post
    I've always been the person that got depended on so there's really no room in my life to not be calm during a crisis. I'm also not a very expressive person when it comes to emotion.

One of the most interesting things about people who stay calm is how sometimes it's the people who freak out over the most mundane things who remain calmest during extreme stress. But it's like one of my favorite old sayings ...."It's not the lions and tigers that get you down, but the damned gnats!"

Well I tend to panic and stress myself out easy all the time. But I will say that once you have kids and they get hurt I seem to be the one in our house that doesn't panic right away. I usually access the situation first. So maybe I 'm wrong, maybe I would do better than I think when push comes to shove.

Quote Originally Posted by vicki2 View Post
    "It's not the lions and tigers that get you down, but the damned gnats!"
    That is very true, we like to worry about cougars, bears, wolves and snakes, because they are more 'romantic', but the one animal that kills many people each year in the U.S. is the mosquito, West Nile virus isn't in the news much anymore, but folks are dying from it by the hundreds.

DEET is more likely to save your life than bear spray.

Chiggers, noseeums, horse flies, wasps/hornets, ticks and sand fleas have ruined more camping trips than any mammal.

I don't know. Humans have ruined their fair share of camping trips. (Especially the ones complaining about everything).

Quote Originally Posted by Minwaabi View Post
    I don't know. Humans have ruined their fair share of camping trips. (Especially the ones complaining about everything).
    He he he, that is a good point, it may explain why I tend to camp solo, the longer the trip, the more likely I am to be solo.

Yes, I may still complain, but with no one listening except myself I keep the whining to a minimum.

Good point about West Nile. I have a friend who has serious medical problems because it wasn't diagnosed when she first contracted it. Two years later, she's in and out of the hospital constantly with serious stuff related to the disease.

I've had Lyme's three times ...and while antibiotics get you through it, you always have the blasted thing.

ive never been in a actually survival situation so i wouldnt now my first reaction altough i now to keep calm

I do what i need to do and never try and lose hope

if you feel your loseing your cool, take a break and think of something relaxing, have a deep breath and then carry on

Default Assess everything around you

In a danger situation/emergency/crisis (I've been in a few in a number of settings) I've found that sort of taking a step back and quickly looking over the entire situation helps one not only stay cool, but act competently dealin with whatever the situation is. One of the reasons I mention this is because someone posted about how some people always stay...you know, way cool, be aware of anyone who seems so cool that nothing is bothering them. Give them a job to do, you might be staving off shock for them. Encouraging anyone involved in the emergency to help creates a positive sense of team work and makes less work for each person. some people might say ...hey! who put this yo-yo in charge? but for the most part...at post-crisis time, people are going to reflect back and say "man (he or she) is cool!)

Patience usually just means the ability to wait for a situation to happen or resolve itself, and really, what does that require? Nothing. That's why most of us don't have patience, we really aren't geared to do nothing. Patience can definitely be learned, but if you don't have some, I'd recommend don't take up fishing or hunting
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"