Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who's most likely to survive

Blog Entries

Cool Like WE says...

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    I don't agree with that hop the experienced homless person could teach me the ropes of innercity reliance on food banks and shelters, but put them in a survival situation i don't think they would survive is the help they relied upon was taken away..
    I spent 4 years on staff at a "Rescue Mission" & found out that some were there out of nessessity and others because they shunned social respomsibility, others because that's where their parole from prison led them. Many of them had "street savy", but what they were best at was taking advantage of people in order to keep from working; not all, but a lot of them. Ihave more respect for people like Les, bear, and even TBWN than a lot of those people.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I very much doubt it.

You've come far pilgrim.

: Feels like far.

Were it worth the trouble?

: Ahh what trouble?
    Last edited by FVR; 08-25-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Blog Entries

I refrain from judging the urban outdoorsman.

I know not their story, have not walked in their shoes.

I treat them all with respect and dignity. They are a part of society that many shun. Who am I to pass judgement?

Blog Entries

Cool Ahhh...

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I refrain from judging the urban outdoorsman.

I know not their story, have not walked in their shoes.

I treat them all with respect and dignity. They are a part of society that many shun. Who am I to pass judgement?
    ...but I HAVE heard their stories, I have experianced some of them as well, and I will only say that most of them, by their own admission, do not wish to take their rightful place in society, but still wish to glean whatever gain they might get without trading any labor. Although some of them might advertise that they are willing to work, most of them will not. The only reason they put up those signs: "Will Work for Food" is because direct panhandling is against the law in many states. Call me old-fashioned, but I believe that "the laborer is worthy of his wage".
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

this is my experience with one
    I was going to lunch at burger king in phx. buddy comes up and asks for money cause he's hungry i tell him i will buy him lunch he says he would rather have the money, i bought him lunch anyways.

i technically have been homeless several times my self in my twenties when i lived in Arizona, but i still had a job saved up money bought a truck and slide in camper was given to me by a guy who taught me to ride bulls. we would go around the circuit and find ranches that would trade work for food and a shower sometimes a bunk in the bunk house. i was skinny and my estranged family horrified that i was homeless and a drifter but i was free and doing what i loved but relied on no government subsidies, so i personally figure these ppl can help themselves if they truly wanted to. i spend my time donating and volunteering for animals wild and domestic they are truly helpless and at our mercy.

Blog Entries

Cool Hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    this is my experience with one
    I was going to lunch at burger king in phx. buddy comes up and asks for money cause he's hungry i tell him i will buy him lunch he says he would rather have the money, i bought him lunch anyways.

i technically have been homeless several times my self in my twenties when i lived in Arizona, but i still had a job saved up money bought a truck and slide in camper was given to me by a guy who taught me to ride bulls. we would go around the circuit and find ranches that would trade work for food and a shower sometimes a bunk in the bunk house. i was skinny and my estranged family horrified that i was homeless and a drifter but i was free and doing what i loved but relied on no government subsidies, so i personally figure these ppl can help themselves if they truly wanted to. i spend my time donating and volunteering for animals wild and domestic they are truly helpless and at our mercy.
    Absolutely! BTW, WE, I have nominated Norm for the official "Wolf-Pack" mascot. Any Moose that can snore and fart gets my vote! Anyone else for or against? Any other nominations?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I just accept them for what they are, homeless.

I don't try to get them jobs, don't try to change them, don't give money, but if I have extra food, water, or gator, will always hand it out.

I'd do the same for a friend or any stranger on the street.

lol actually norm is also our official mascot at the wild life centre he"s on my business cards and fridge magnets

i understand your position fvr and always respect your opinion here, but maybe i am cut from a different cloth i work hard for what i have and will not give it out to ppl living their choosen lifestlye. now that being said the alcohloic have a saying "there, for but the grace of god go I" i know that i am not to far away from being homless maybe something could happen to me also but i feel that there is enough work out there right now that if you wanted to work you could, i started my constuction career thru manpower sweeping sidewalks, but that got me on site to talk to the subtrades then i moved up from there. if work ran out in ontario i would move to alberta or back to arizona where ever the work is so i can take care of my responsibilities.

Blog Entries

Wareagle,

You're a manpower guy to. I have promoted them more and more. When I got out of the USMC, first thing manpower then onto construction sites.

Then when we closed the printing bus., while looking for a job, manpower again.

I don't listen to those who complain about not getting a job. Manpower is awsome and you can gen. get a wage of 11 to 13 bucks an hour and work alot of OT. It can help you get by.

People don't realize how fast you can lose it all.

As far as the homeless, honestly it is my selfishness that allows me to just give to them. Just makes me feel better about myself. It's my liberal side.

But I will tell you that I DO NOT suffer from Class guilt, white guilt, handicap guilt. I like many have worked damn hard to get to where I am.

It's called "SURVIVAL."
    Last edited by FVR; 08-25-2007 at 12:36 PM. Reason: added comment

in Ohio i would use manpower to find a second job, just labour stuff working in a freezer stacking ice cream on pallets that kind of stuff, i thought about this yesterday watching the labourers clean the jobs site we are building a teachers college right now i am in the boiler rm doing a 4 wall hung boiler domestic /radiant heat system not working to hard but consistent, but watching the labours work harder than me and for probably 1/4 of the money i make and i do feel privileged but i came from there so i understand like i said i give to the animals maybe it's a way to pay them back for feeding me for 38 yrs.

I just read an article in "the Backwoodsman" magazine that pertains to this thread. The article "Poor Boy Camping" by James Ballou, talked about how hobos and homeless people getting along in the great outdoors with limited supplies and virtually no money. But, I think it really comes down to how resourceful the person is and their mindset. Homeless or not... it is the one that survives is the one that can adapt to the situation at hand.

The article "Poor Boy Camping" really made me think and look at everyday items that I come in contact with. How can I use that if this was to happen? Ask yourself this when you take a walk in the woods, trip to the store, or when you take the garbage out and the bag breaks... the coffee can that you threw away can be used as a stove, a shovel, used to boil water, a bucket to gather food, etc.
    "The ability for a person to prevail in a survival situation is based on three factors: survival knowledge, equipment, and will to survive. All are important, but the most important is the will to survive." -Greg Davenport

Quote Originally Posted by mbarnatl View Post
    But, I think it really comes down to how resourceful the person is and their mindset. Homeless or not... it is the one that survives is the one that can adapt to the situation at hand.
    ...and how that person utilizes his/her resourcefulness skill set, if in a manner we see as using survival skills or in a manner of taking advantage of others, which we may find morally reprehensible, but if it's a homeless person, our opinions are the least of their concerns. Either way, they're surviving.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"