View Poll Results: Best Survival Projectile Weapon?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firearm (specify type)

39 69.64%
  • Air Rifle (bb or pellet?)

1 1.79%
  • Bow and Arrow (specify type)

4 7.14%
  • Blowgun

0 0%
  • Sling/Slingshot

8 14.29%
  • Other (specify)

4 7.14%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Best Projectile Weapon for Survival Applications?

retired American

There is no doubt a firearm is the best survival weapon if you have the option. In Thailand they are difficult to obtain legally and totally illegal for foreigners. The favorite hunting implemets here are crossbows and slingshots. I have killed much small game effectively with crossbows but no luck with slingshots but the locals are deadly with them and they are compact, easy to master(for most people) and ammo is lying all over the ground. All in all, though, I agree a spear is the best all-around survival weapon. It is powerful and can bring down fairly large game and ina pinch serves as a great hand to hand weapon. Also easy to make and material usually readily available.

Definately a .22lr for my needs would be the choice.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

I still like the 1022 for a all around use gun.

If I had to carry one gun, on the move, for an extended period (as in end-of-the-world) I would say a 10/22. The ammo is light enough that you can carry a thousand rounds in your pockets. I keep meaning to buy one, but then I start looking at the AR's...

As far as my regular BOB, I have 1 box of ammo for my handgun, which is great for personal defence, but would suck at hunting. In my pack I have a couple of rat traps, fishing gear, and a folding slingshot. With as much small game as there is in my area, I expect I could eat pretty ok. (I dont "practice" enough with any of them, though.)

If it is a "bug-in", then things change significantly. 12 gauge, a couple of handguns, and a carbine in .45 just for fun.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is merely to serve as a warning to others.

I voted for sling/slingshot for one reason if SHTF for an extended period of time (years) ammo will not be easy to obtain. The sling has been used for eons and is a reliable weapon in the hands of a skillful user. Ancient armies used slings. When I lived in Idaho in the early 80's there were a group of illegal immigrants that lived on the same property I rented. One day I saw them coming in from the sage brush with three rabbits weapon of choice they threw rocks to kill them nothing more. Needless to say I was slightly impressed. My second choice would be able to make my own bow.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

"Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Lots of small game around here. My ruger 10/22 LR carbine is the rifle for me. Easily takes small game, and can take large game if absolutly necesssary. With a 3-r power scope, bull barrel, thumbhole stock, its an amazing gun for survival, plinking and just plain hunting.

I voted bow and arrow.

Reasons: All parts can be made in the field. Quiet and effective. Can be used for game and fish. Compared to a long gun it's non threatening.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I voted bow and arrow.

Reasons: All parts can be made in the field. Quiet and effective. Can be used for game and fish. Compared to a long gun it's non threatening.
    It also requires a considerable amount of time to become good enough with it to be effective. You could starve to death in the process.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

For survival, a 22LR rifle.

My carry gun when hiking is a S&W Chief's Airweight .38, it's very light weight and that counts for a lot.

As much as I have to agree with the .22lr (10-22 my preference) being the best projectile weapon. I really need to bring up the Atlatl. It can be used to throw darts, arrows and light spears. It is relatively easy to make and master. It predates the bow as a distance weapon.

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    As much as I have to agree with the .22lr (10-22 my preference) being the best projectile weapon. I really need to bring up the Atlatl. It can be used to throw darts, arrows and light spears. It is relatively easy to make and master. It predates the bow as a distance weapon.
    Sarky,, Thanks for your comment on the Atlatl. Peaked my interest, so I googled it and came up with the following sites of interest.

http://www.worldatlatl.org/

http://www.atlatl.com/

http://www.primitiveways.com/atlatl_branch.html

Of course there are many more.

Must admit I knew nothing about it before (and still don't), but is a concept that I am going to read up on. Looks like a great addition to the "tool box" , a time tested hunting weapon.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    It also requires a considerable amount of time to become good enough with it to be effective. You could starve to death in the process.

I do see your point.

However, the question is:"What projectile weapon do you think is "best" for a survival scenario? The weapon would primarily be used for gathering food, and perhaps personal protection in a pinch".

So, I answered the question for myself.
    Last edited by rebel; 01-01-2009 at 11:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    I do see your point.

However, the question is:"What projectile weapon do you think is "best" for a survival scenario? The weapon would primarily be used for gathering food, and perhaps personal protection in a pinch".

So, I answered the question for myself.
    The majority of people can pick up a rifle or shotgun and have a reasonable expectation of using it effectively. Unfortunately very few folks can pick up a bow, slingshot, atlatl, spear, rabbit stick, rock or whatever and be expected to use it with effect.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I feel comfortable using a long bow for survival, I voted bow and arrow. I have made my own bow and arrows, but I did cheat. I had the help of power tools, and I didn't use all self made/collected materials. The string, glues, arrow shafts and finishes were all purchased. I just started making a new long bow with an Osage stave. As for proficiency, I usually harvest 2 or 3 whitetails each year, this year was 3. And I used mostly self made equipment.
    This year my goal is to harvest a turkey with a long bow.

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    The majority of people can pick up a rifle or shotgun and have a reasonable expectation of using it effectively. Unfortunately very few folks can pick up a bow, slingshot, atlatl, spear, rabbit stick, rock or whatever and be expected to use it with effect.
    I agree with you about the majority of people being better off with a firearm.

Maybe I mis-read the question. I thought the question was asking which I would choose for myself.

Other than a firearm I’d go with the slingshot. Years of practice keeping squirrels out of my birdfeeders has paid off. Hard to make one in the middle of nowhere though.