View Poll Results: Best Survival Projectile Weapon?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Firearm (specify type)

39 69.64%
  • Air Rifle (bb or pellet?)

1 1.79%
  • Bow and Arrow (specify type)

4 7.14%
  • Blowgun

0 0%
  • Sling/Slingshot

8 14.29%
  • Other (specify)

4 7.14%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Projectile Weapon for Survival Applications?

I would have to say for myself, it would depend where in the world I would be and what I was doing.

There were times I wished I had a canon. Other times I was glad I had my SAK with me.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Blog Entries

MY FLINTLOCK is my FAVORITE WEAPON!!!! But for survival my Ruger .22
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    In a survival scenario, I'd have to go with a slingshot. Ammo can be grabbed off the ground or recovered (steel ball bearings make an incredible impact). They are light and easy to carry. It is also a fairly easy weapon to gain a comfortable degree of proficiency with <snip> A miss with a slingshot or bow and your prey may not even know it was a target, leaving a better chance for a follow up attempt.
    I like this idea. Have you actually hunted with a slingshot? Is there a particular type you would recommend? I had one once, but over time the elastic tubing got brittle and broke.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    The new CHARGER by Ruger, It is a 10/22 Handgun. With Leupold 2.5X8 Extended Eye Relief scope and ten cases of .22LR. Thats 50,000 rounds, and ten extra magazines.
    I have a 10/22 and was thinking about getting a Ruger Mark II or III. Is there a reason why you would go for the Charger before one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    I like this idea. Have you actually hunted with a slingshot? Is there a particular type you would recommend? I had one once, but over time the elastic tubing got brittle and broke.
    Personally, I've never hunted with one. In my youth, like most kids, I did use one. I used to know a few people who were fans of them for hunting though. They used ball bearings as ammo and the delivered power for the range was pretty impressive. I used to have one similar to these, a 'wrist rocket'. Although the ones we used appear to have had better tubing. If the tubing broke, we would replace it with strips from car tire inner tubes (dating myself) or bicycle tire tubes. A steel ball bearing with the diameter of a nickel can take down, stun, or seriously damage some fairly large threats, quietly.

The primary reason I chose slingshots and bows (crossbows are great, though not fast to reload) over a gun was the idea of recoverable or readily renewable ammo. I also consider weight a factor in a survival setting. I normally don't take a ton of ammo with me when I'm out. A full clip in the gun and at most two backup clips (I carry a .40 S&W Sig P229). I am not a fan of the .22 caliber outside of a range (.223 and .220/.224 are another matter entirely). Just my preference. I felt that the scenario presented favored a light weapon with ammunition that could be scavenged or recovered. Otherwise, a gun, hands down.
    Last edited by Fargus; 07-23-2008 at 11:04 AM.
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

I am confident in my abilities with my 22 rifle. I would probably not eat quite as well if all I had was a slingshot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Ruger 10/22, Ruger Single Six
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I suppose it boils down to defining exactly what 'survival' scenario one is going to be a part of. SHTF, where you have time to grab a well stocked BOB and head out in a provisioned vehicle? Lost in the wilds, rescue time unknown? Escape from some threat and being pursued? Wilderness living by choice? Desert survival? I'm sure there are many others.

I naturally would place a firearm as my preferred weapon. As stated though, ammo will not last forever. Except for perhaps a SHTF situation or a conscious decision to leave civilization behind and live off the land, one is not going to have 50k rounds of ammo at your disposal as someone mentioned. In those cases, I would have something with far more punch than a .22.

So, why are we grabbing this hypothetical projectile weapon then? Probably not for the two scenarios cited above, or else a .22 would be a poor choice overall (defense and game hunting). I tend to view a gun as a short term survival tool for any other situation. Yes, you probably will eat better, initially. No doubt. Then the ammo runs out.

Therefore, I'll stick to my guns and hold that almost any projectile weapon that allows one to restock or fashion ammo from the wild is preferable for a survival situation where one doesn't have preparation time or the ability to cart around or have cached a stockpile of ammo and the duration of one being in such a dilemma is unknown. Also, guns are noisy, even subsonic rounds. If one is in a situation where being undetected is an issue for survival, then a gun isn't a positive asset except as a last resort.

Found here, just as an info source:
    "Just how powerful are modern slingshots? That depends on the size of elastics used, the length of draw, and the size, weight, and shape of ammo. Using exceptionally strong bands with lightweight marbles or small pellets, will give you hot velocities close-in, but little carrying power at slightly longer ranges. Relatively light bands used with large "steelies" won’t deliver much velocity or carry far, but will impact mightily close up. With proper balance of bands and shot, though, these weapons will whistle a ball bearing through six to eight layers of tough cardboard, knock a forest grouse or jackrabbit kicking out to 25 yards or so, or drive a standard broadhead arrow as far as 125 yards or 1/2" deep into a red fir board! TRUMARK folding slingshots reach velocities of 200 miles per hour and project the ammo out to 225 yards."
    Last edited by Fargus; 07-23-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Blog Entries

Sling shots are for kids, real men use bows and guns
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Sling shots are for kids, real men use bows and guns
    That's just what Goliath was saying when this kid named David rudely interrupted him
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

David... Beo... both punks... lol...
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want

Blog Entries

Still mad bro, sad really sad.
    And I agree projectile vomit is the most deadly, it can cause multi firings by bystanders.

The slingshot idea is really growing on me. I would probably bring a gun too, but a slingshot is so small and lightweight, it would be easy to pack one in with the rest of the gear. Much less bulky than a bow or an air rifle.

As for guns, I'm becoming a fan of .357 Magnum/.38 Special. The cartridges are still fairly small for portability, but good bang. I've got a Ruger GP100, and I'm thinking of getting a lever gun in .357 Magnum to match. I have heard .357 can achieve velocities in the range of a 30-30 rifle cartridge in a long enough barrel.

Best recalculate and rethink. Unless you plan on eating bear and elk as a steady diet a 22 will kill anything in the continental US. More deer have been killed with a 22 than any other caliber. A brick(500 rounds) isn't that big and don't weigh that much. A 10/22 with a few extra mags. several bricks, my EK out of mothballs would take me a long way. If I ran low in your SHTF situation, which I think ain't gonna happen other folks would supply my needs. That's just down and dirty cause most men on this forum can make decent weapons, take what they need if so inclined. I would bring a few more goodies that have multiple uses, weapons being one of them and I keep a slingshot in the storage bldg in the wood just to run off dogs and other pests.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    More deer have been killed with a 22 than any other caliber.
    Using a .22 for deer is not legal in many states. I'd have to see some documentation backing up this claim. Many consider using a .22 on deer unethical. A discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    Using a .22 for deer is not legal in many states. I'd have to see some documentation backing up this claim. Many consider using a .22 on deer unethical. A discussion here.
    But remember the premise of the original question. Best projectile weapon for a survival situation.

**Officer, I was lost, injured, and terrified. All I'm doing is trying to stay alive. Thank God you're here to rescue me.

Rescue you? Heck son, I'm writing you a ticket for hunting deer with that 22 ya got.

Ticket? Well......OK.......but at least I've got a way out of here.

Son, it is against department policy to take riders in our patrol vehicles. Your appearance date is at the bottom of the ticket. Have a nice day.**
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree with many, .22LR rifle and for many reasons as often discussed elsewhere.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    But remember the premise of the original question. Best projectile weapon for a survival situation.
    I didn't forget it, I'm just dubious about .22 have killed more deer than any other caliber. Kind of a stat out of thin air. I really don't think anyone would choose to carry .22 for any form of personal defense in a survival situation (also part of the original premise). As far as using a .22 for survival hunting, I'm sure squirrels and birds would be in danger, but I'm tending to doubt the broad claim about that caliber's effectiveness for anything much larger, particularly a single shot kill. I sure there are some great marksmen on here, but eye shots on larger game aren't all that common. .22 just lacks the ballistics for dealing with a good cross breeze, rain, or even punching through light brush on a consistent basis. I'm not sure a .22 would even bother a wolverine or badger, much less a good sized cat at anything outside of close range. Can you kill good sized game with a .22, sure. Is it a good choice overall, I personally don't think so. That caliber's only advantage is the amount of ammo one can carry. If one doesn't get a first shot kill, thus requiring follow-ups, then even that factor is negated.

First, and I've posted this before, if it's a survival situation what are you going to do with a deer or elk carcass? That's a lot of meat that you are not going to be carrying with you. Better to acquire small game along the way, IMHO.

As for the .22 for protection. You better believe I'd carry it for that in a survival situation. They can kill you just as dead. Worse, they can leave you with a nasty wound that probably can't be dealt with in a survival situation, which could lead to a slow and painful death.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Most deer on the Mexican side of the border are killed by a 22. Cheap ammo is the main reason. With age, eyesight, shakes etc I can put a mag in a quarter off rest at 30yds with my scoped Ruger Mark II and haven't bothered to try with the 10/22, also scoped with a 6X fixed so I don't need glasses for either. Nobody knows how to hunt anymore. IMO a 30 cal is overkill for deer and we are talking plain ole SURVIVAL and forget about rules and regs 22 cal is illegal for deer that means your long range 222, 223 or 22-250 is only good for a groundhog. If you can't get withing 40yds of your game or less you might as well shoot a can of beans for lunch. Most deer are killed within 50yds by decent hunters. As for defense put a 22 in someone's ear or a 45, he won't know the difference. In my part of the country lots of deer are taken with slugs and muzzle loaders. I do know folks that feed their family with a 22. They need meat anytime he takes a 22 and gets a nice young doe. It ain't legal I know but he feeds his family. You get down to just surviving a firearm is nice to have but I am sure I could do reasonably well without one, until I found someone that had one I could "borrow". What I rambled on about just means it ain't the size of the gun, it's the man behind it. I am sure a man like Beo who favors a flintlock is as deadly, one shot one kill and even an older "gentleman" like myself can point shoot your shirt buttons at 20yds with my 45. IMHO out West or where long range shots are needed you are correct. In the deep woods you don't need the firepower. In a true honest survival situation it ain't the biggest dog that wins the fight, it's the meanest and around here if you dropped a deer in a survival situation with a loud firearm better dig in for 4hrs or more. I would bet you would lose your game, or at the least be forced to "share".

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/200...090007e67a.txt This is a link for this year about 2 teenagers killing 15+ deer with a 22 from a car. Take a look just for grins.