Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: anybody on here keep bees?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    ...or threaten to spill the beans.
    Spill what beans? I'm an innocent man....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

That's the story I'd stick to.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Smile Back to the Bad Little Bees

Don't know where you are but we have very few in the southern part of WV. I kept bees for a few years when I was a kid. First thing make sure you are getting the yellow Italian and not the smaller black. You won't get stung if you don't get in front of the hive. You can order a new queen if you need. Don't dump the queen in, she's packed with a sugar tunnel and the other bees need to eat the sugar and free her themselves. She kills the present queen mates once with a drone, drone dies and she kills all the other queens still in cells. You need the hive body, a couple of supers, racks and I would recommend starter comb and between the hive & super a rack like a grill to keep the queen from laying eggs in the honey, smoker, hat, veil, gloves, tape the usual. Take a book to tell you what you need to know so call the extension agent for the county you're in. Bees are in short supply because of disease and only now are coming back. You should get top dollar for the honey, get lucky and they may swarm and give you another hive full. Won't get stung handling a swarm but the agent will tell you all about that including feeding, watering etc. Birds I know nothing about
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

$300.00 that's three hundred dollars? That's a ripoff. Do like I said and call your county extension agent. He should be glad to help you get set up. You probably could catch a swarm or he surely knows somebody honest. Hives & supers are easy to make if you are handy, just have to be almost on the money for the racks. CALL YOUR EXTENSION AGENT post or pm me if you need to know anything. I kept a dozen hives and sold the rest.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

ty coot, im gonna get ahold of Ed Smolder today and see what he can offer in the way of advice.Hes our counties extension agent. Im in Jackson county, right against the ohio border.
    I'm sweet as sugar but tough as nails.

make sure u get a queen or the population wont last too long.

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

Default Bee Keeping

I worked here 1975 -76, bees everywhere during warm weather. Stung twice, both times my fault.
    http://www.dadant.com/
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

Coursing for bees is fun. Worse part is following them and ending up at somones hives. The bears usually beat you to the honey before you can collect it in the fall also.