Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best tinder for ferrocerium

i don't go anywhere w/o my firesteel being attached to my belt
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

You could have said dime size a bit sooner!

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default my own experiment

I have been pondering this for a while as well. I plan on making a fire piston out of PVC based on some plans I got... The plans leave a place for tinder in the handle. I was thinking about making tinder out of dryer lint soaked in petrolium jelly. Then I found out that dryer lint stinks when you burn it, that concotion works well and burns like cotton balls in petrolium jelly. Next though, I am thinking of wrapping the lint and petrolium jelly combination in cotton from cotton balls. I plan on having the balls come out to the size of paint balls, I figure that should be a good combination of fuel for long burn and dry tinder for an easy catch. For the tip of the fire piston I plan on using cotton or char cloth.

What do you guys think?

I think you should go over to the Introduction section and tell us something about yourself.

I don't understand why you want to spend time on a fire piston but it's your time, I guess. There is just a lot on a fire piston to break down when a simple flint or rod can get a fire going just about every time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by ironranger View Post
    What do you guys think?
    I think it sounds cool and I think you should maybe wander on by the introduction section and say yer hellos etc.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

I've never noticed a smell from the dryer lint when it burns.....other than a burning smell. The stuff goes up so fast, I don't think it has time to smell.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I suppose it depends on what you have been drying. It you have fuzz from synthetics then it probably would. Cotton fuzz shouldn't.

Or those shorts I was talking about in another thread.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Okay. Looks like a laundry lesson is in order. 1. Wash 2. Check. 3 Repeat 1 if needed. 4. Dry. Got that?

You guys probably just drug them along behind the sub on a rope. Sort of an ocean version of a clothes line.

They did laundry on those things??????? Hmmmmm.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As I always say, the towel load is the best.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    Here's a 4" x 1/2 inch firesteel.
    Hey Gray Wolf, you stole that off my website!
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

What?! A media theft has occurred? On this forum? Sir, you are despicable! How dare you steal pictures off the world wide web and place them on here. This joint has class! Well, not much but a little!

Quote Originally Posted by RobertRogers View Post
    Hey Gray Wolf, you stole that off my website!
    RR, if I knew that (snicker) I would be advertising for you!

BuT nice plug RR.
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 07-25-2008 at 11:29 AM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Well nobody can say I never gave this website a hand...
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf2u2 View Post
    I get things ready to get a fire going. I pick tinder from the area I am in. Everything from the paper thin bark to fluff off the cattails and what ever I can find!

. . . . Don
    Would there be a list of tinder that can be obtained from the field and used the same day that can catch a spark from a ferro rod? I guess milkweed pod fluff (at the right time of year) would qualify. What else? Birch bark? Shredded birch bark? Thanks.

Tinder fungus.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Resurrection of the dead with a 10 year old thread??

At least we are still serving a purpose.

As Rick suggested, there is the famed tinder fungus that is usually only found in the northern climes. If you encounter birch in the south you are not lost, you are in someones yard or park and the trees are ornamental, ask to use their phone and call for a ride. If you are in the north you can always shave birch bark into a fine frizzled mass to catch a spark.

There is also the bark of the red juniper if you are in the midsection of the southeast. That bark can be processed like birch bark for use as tinder.

About anywhere nationwide one might find "fat-wood", the resin filled core of a rotted pine stump. That can be shaved or scraped for powder that will ignite.

Punk-wood is also available in may locations. It is the soft spongy wood one finds in large logs on their way to returning to wince they arrived. Be careful and do not mistake termite eaten wood for punk wood, they are not the same.

Punk wood can be used as is to catch and hold a spark, especially a nice hot ferro rod spark. It can also be buried under edge of the campfire and baked into "char-punk" which will catch even a weak spark such as one might knock off the spine of their knife using a flint shard.

There is also the paper from the nest of a wasp. In the south they are all over the forest and all one need do is follow a wasp home to find his nest. They seldom stray far from home.

Or you could always scrape some of the lint from your cotton sock, or even your Tee shirt or the cuff of your jeans. And check for pocket lint, that works too. If you carry a pocket knife daily there is usually some stuck down in the space where the blades fold.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Resurrection of the dead with a 10 year old thread??

. . . .
    I figured why not. Thanks for info.

There are hundreds, if not thousands of natural tinders that will catch a spark. Some may smolder and can be blown into a flame, while others will burst into flame. The "best" is to go out and experiment and find out what works for you in your area.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel