Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: evolution of wild edibles

Gnats? Piercing mout parts that have been getting a blood meal from????? At the injection site you get an itch right? What caused it? Besides, like you said you'd probably need about 10,000 to taste em.

The adult horse fly will feed mostly on nectar and occasionally on pollen. The female of the species requires a blood meal in order to reproduce. Males are incapable of feeding this way as the lack the necessary mouth parts, called mandibles. The female will get this supply of blood from mammals, although some species have been known to feed on birds, reptiles or even amphibians.

I would stay away from any insect that is a blood feeder.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

so what do you suggest my friend
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Everything else.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Seriously though, if you or anybody else is going to take on learning about edible insects - the same approach that you took (are taking) for edible plants is a good one. Books, classes or clinics (if available). Start out with a few that are common to the area that you live and expand from there.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

not many books on eating bugs here i do have one on eating bugs but its more other countries than here, but that is what the web is all about, will be adding this to my aresenal though
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

grasshoppers are not bad cooked in a little tin . go to women of the fur trade and they show you what they eat for 3 day living off the land. It's a cool site they seem to have alot of members.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

i must admit that when i saw some tv show about foreign folks cooking up crickets they looked tasty all fried in oil and crispy. raw bugs never, but certain kinds cooked the right way, sure! and speaking of bugs, can anyone help me identify one i saw awhile ago, it was 2 inches long, had long lace wings, and 2 pincers(?) on its head that were 1 inch long each. i nudged it with a broom handle, and these pincers slapped together with lightning speed and thunderous force. scary little thing. i've never seen one up here in the northeast before, maybe it was an accidental import.
    ...gonna take a walk outside today...

Starving Artist

Be careful with grasshoppers. They may have an intestinal parasite that can infect you. Roasting 'em first.
    Dennis K.
    Not all who wander are lost.
    www.AnthemBrass.com

If you are serious about this...

I'd start with ant and/or termite larvae. If you can find them when they swarm then you'll have oodles of adult termites.

Skip the grasshoppers. Adventure Doc posted about an intestinal parasite unless you cook them. Otherwise get rid of wings and legs and cook them up. I don't have any problems with them cooked. I've never had them raw.

Moths and Butterflys are a big NO. Don't ask how I know but they have a powder on the wings that will prevent you from wanting any more. Not good, not good at all. Their bodies have small hairs. Also a big yuck. You will be spitting for a while afterward. Caterpillars might work but be aware of what you are getting. Some are either not palatable or sting! There are actually many species that can sting. The saddleback, buck moth caterpillar, and puss caterpillar with the Puss Caterpillar (yep. That's what it's called. Megalopyge opercularis) is probably the worst in terms of reaction.

Monarch caterpillars just taste bad because they eat milk weed and it contains an alkaloid. Consequently, the caterpillars are bitter.

Any of the bee/wasp larvae and/or pupae would be okay. Adults do tend to protect the young. I haven't tasted them so can't help you there.

Cicadas, big yeah! Good stuff. Here's a bunch of recipes if you want to try them that way. http://biology.clc.uc.edu/steincarter/recipes.htm

Centipedes, millipedes - Bite you brother. They can be nasty.

Flies are just illness carriers. I don't think I can do that.

Crickets are good. Here's some info on crickets. 100 grams of cricket contains: 121 calories, 12.9 grams of protein, 5.5 g. of fat, 5.1 g. of carbohydrates, 75.8 mg. calcium, 185.3 mg. of phosphorous, 9.5 mg. of iron, 0.36 mg. of thiamin, 1.09 mg. of riboflavin, and 3.10 mg. of niacin.

I have never had the stomach for beetles or grubs. Can't do either.

If you have a Mexican store or Asian store in your area either might be good to check out just to see what they have available. No slam to either culture but we don't tend to see insects the same way other cultures do.

Yes, I would like to see the pics!!

This might be the start of another create post (future wiki?) on just edible bugs and how to prepare them. Good post WE!!!!
    Last edited by Rick; 07-21-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default well smart boy

Since you said my vote doesn't count, this all just for information purposes, but I was gonna vote don't do it.

But if you really want to....bon appetit.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

When has any of us ever listened to him?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Papillon ate them in a French Guiana prison...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."