View Poll Results: Which is the better survival tool?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Swiss Army Knife

9 32.14%
  • Plier-Type Multi-Tool

19 67.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Army Knife or Plier Multi-Tool?

Default Swiss Army Knife or Plier Multi-Tool?

It seems like the current trend in survival is away from the classic "Swiss Army" type knives, towards the many various folding plier-type multi-tools. I have even found myself trending towards these mult-tools and away from Swiss Army knives.

My question is, does this really make sense? My Victorinox Swiss Champ is smaller and lighter than most of the plier tools out there, and yet contains more tools than any of them, and the tools are just as big. With the plier tools, you get some substantial pliers, but considerably fewer other tools. Are pliers that important to survival, that they justify eliminating other tools?

And this isn't coming from a plier tool hater. I have Leatherman, SOG, Gerber, and Victorinox plier tools as well.

So, thoughts?
    Last edited by sgtdraino; 07-20-2008 at 05:36 PM.

I prefer my Leatherman Wave.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have several SAK's I carry one in my keyring and use it more then I do the Leatherman I carry.

I never considered it a choice between the two. I carry both.

Each has its use and why limit yourself to just one!

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I prefer my Leatherman Wave.
    Certainly we have our personal preferences. I was just wondering if there was something I might be missing. Some reason why the plier tools seem like they're prefered.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaf2u2 View Post
    I never considered it a choice between the two. I carry both.
    Heh. Generally, I don't! I normally carry my Swiss Champ SAK with my SwissTool Spirit. And yet, there is a fair bit of redundancy between the two. I think I would like to carry the absolute minimum amount of stuff needed to get the job done.

I guess the reason that I prefer the plier type multi-tool is the pliers. I use the tool daily for my regular job, so I've just become very comfortable with it. As far as in the woods or camping, again I rely on the pliers quite a bit. Be it using them as pot holder. removing something from a fire, assisting in pushing a threaded needle through canvas, or a myriad of other tasks. For me, I guess it's just a comfort thing and what I've grown used to using.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The reason I perfer the plier multi-tool is for a reason Crash stated: removing something from a fire. A lot of times when I cook, I just open the top of a can and place it in a fire. When it's warm enough, I just use the pliers to remove it out to cool enough to eat.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

I love my Leatherman Charge. A bit on the heavy side, but it combines a bunch of useful tools that would weigh in more (plus take up a lot more space) if carried around individually. I've never cared for the Swiss Army brand. I had one many years ago (forget the exact model) and I found the build quality unimpressive. The steel of the blade didn't seem that great and it got loose with time. Also, it never really sharpened or held an edge all that well. I consider them more of a gadget than a useful day-to-day tool.
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

I use the tool daily for my regular job, so I've just become very comfortable with it.
    That makes sense. I'm curious, what sort of job do you have that you use pliers every day?

As far as in the woods or camping, again I rely on the pliers quite a bit. Be it using them as pot holder. removing something from a fire,
    Ah, now this is a good point. While a Swiss Champ does have pliers, I don't know that they're big enough to haul things in and out of a fire.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    The reason I perfer the plier multi-tool is for a reason Crash stated: removing something from a fire. A lot of times when I cook, I just open the top of a can and place it in a fire. When it's warm enough, I just use the pliers to remove it out to cool enough to eat.
    Very good point. I will also add that many of the plier tools have locking implements, and generally the implements on a SAK do not lock.

Interesting experience you had with SAK, Fargus. Personally I have always found Victorinox to be of the highest quality. On the other hand, I have generally found Wenger to be somewhat lacking. Perhaps your bad experiences were with Wenger SAKs?

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    That makes sense. I'm curious, what sort of job do you have that you use pliers every day?

I work in the pest control business. Opening access panels, equipment upkeep, digging and exploring around homes.....comes in handy.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
    I love my Leatherman Charge. A bit on the heavy side, but it combines a bunch of useful tools that would weigh in more (plus take up a lot more space) if carried around individually. I've never cared for the Swiss Army brand. I had one many years ago (forget the exact model) and I found the build quality unimpressive. The steel of the blade didn't seem that great and it got loose with time. Also, it never really sharpened or held an edge all that well. I consider them more of a gadget than a useful day-to-day tool.
    Thats the crux of the whole thing right there. All multi tools are basically a bunch of light duty tools in one package. They are handy but they have there limits. I've broke a few. You never really know what you'll run into like pulling a nail out of something after you have already broke the head off the nail. I always try to keep a pair of Kliens near by just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtdraino View Post
    Perhaps your bad experiences were with Wenger SAKs?
    May well have been. I no longer have the knife, so can't check. I didn't realize that there were two different manufacturers allowed the branding rights. It just soured me on SAKs. I've looked over the more recent offerings/models that I would guess are from Victorinox (I'll have to recheck) and am not really impressed with their features for my particular needs. The Charge is perfect for me. Thanks for the info on that though! I was probably unknowingly lumping models from both manufacturers together.
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I use a SAK everyday now. Before I retired I had a pair of Klein snips on my belt 24hrs a day. I could do anything with them, have worked for days with the snips as my only tool. I always have a SAK on me, but still have a dozen pair of snips around that I use. A SAK, Klein snips & Klein linesman pliers work for me. (took a year to stop wearing snips all the time)
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I'm with crash, I prefer my Leatherman Wave, to me best made . They're Extremely durable, with locking tools.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I can't vote. I'm biased. I think the multipliers like Leatherman are probably better, and I have the Leatherman Supertool. However, I've had a Swiss Army Knife that I bought when I was in the 3rd grade (I'm 26 y/o), and it is still in great condition. It has served me well over the years. It's in my pocket right now, as it is everyday, while my multipliers are off in my personal truck.

Ah go ahead. Jump out on a limb. Take a risk.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crazy that you should post this. Just today, I made the decision to toss the multi-tool and start carrying my Swiss Army knife again. As long as I've carried the tool in my pack I've yet had the NEED to use it. We can all find a reason to use what we carry but do you have a NEED to use it? I have an aluminum pot handle that is far lighter than the multi-tool and my P-51 can opener does that job just fine. Beyond that, I've just been hossin' dead weight around.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I carry both leatherman on my belt and swiss knife in my pouch . the leatherman see more use.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Crazy that you should post this. Just today, I made the decision to toss the multi-tool and start carrying my Swiss Army knife again. As long as I've carried the tool in my pack I've yet had the NEED to use it. We can all find a reason to use what we carry but do you have a NEED to use it? I have an aluminum pot handle that is far lighter than the multi-tool and my P-51 can opener does that job just fine. Beyond that, I've just been hossin' dead weight around.
    An aluminum pot handle?

Yeah. Mine is made by Primus. It came with my Litech cookware. It weighs like nothing.

http://www.wildernessdining.com/su733931.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah. Mine is made by Primus. It came with my Litech cookware. It weighs like nothing.

http://www.wildernessdining.com/su733931.html
    Ahhhhhhhhhh. I thought you meant the handle off of an old aluminum pot.