Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Group Survival 101.

[QUOTE=volwest;4737]Alright...you guys are going too fast for me.

Let's talk about this Alice pack a little bit...
    How heavy is it ? How many liters ? No bladder ?
    External frame is not my cup of tea, but it has advantages for sure...$50 is not that cheap but Alice packs are pretty reliable. I wonder what the others think about it...
    Let's wait a little on the pack...
    QUOTE]

You don't know what an alice pack is?????????

Quote Originally Posted by volwest View Post
    I am making you leave ?
    lolllll

Are you going to slam the door too ?

Owl_girl,
    I never felt smothered by Sarge...and i am glad you didn't either...my statement was a generalized one, and we do not constitute a generality.
    I thought my answer to you saying that i was incorrect was a apropos, but if you see a passive aggressive response, it was not meant to be.
    Just a clarification on my points of views. Just like i took this answer from you : "I certainly didn’t say you weren’t bringing anything to the forum."

But then again, maybe you consider your own clarification as passive aggressive...

So...in light of my notes on Sarge making too many waves, i will remove them from my posts...

Thank you for your input.
    You are not making me leave. You are just annoying and I have doubts about any useful information have to bring to the table. So please respond in at least 4 paragraphs that will have nothing to do with this so I will quit reading after the first couple of sentences.
    Last edited by ryaninmichigan; 09-04-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Blog Entries

Cool Yo Brother Wolf!

Quote Originally Posted by ryaninmichigan View Post
    You are not making me leave. You are just annoying and I have doubts about any useful information have to bring to the table. So please respond in at least 4 paragraphs that will have nothing to do with this so I will quit reading after the first couple of sentences.
    RiM, don't let this "numpty" run you off, he's not worth it, and doesn't run this forum! I'm asking you to stay and, if you would, qualify that remark you made that got WE riled up. As a member of this pack you have the right to be heard! Besides, FVR is correct, as Survivalists we need to have thick skins, right?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool What game, VW?

Are you sure you want to play that game RIM ?
    As a Military man you should not only know what the A.L.I.C.E. system is , but also the S.P.E.A.R. system, & The M.O.L.L.E. system as well? RiM asked a legitimate question, don't be condescending.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Default my skin is thick enough

My skin is thick enough. When I said “I am the most dangerous thing in the woods” It was not meant as a statement of violence. The fact is a good man and his rifle need not worry about anything in the woods. That is all.

Blog Entries

Cool Respectfully....

My skin is thick enough. When I said “I am the most dangerous thing in the woods” It was not meant as a statement of violence. The fact is a good man and his rifle need not worry about anything in the woods. That is all.
    I would find that true to a certain extent, there are some things anybody in the woods might have to fear, correct!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Here is a little info. on the:

All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment aka ALICE pack.

Don't ever call it a backpack recruit or I will kick your ***.

All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment (ALICE) introduced in 1974 was made up of components for two types of load: the "fighting load" and the "existence load". The ALICE system was designed for use in all environments, whether hot, temperate, cold-wet or even cold-dry arctic conditions. It replaced all prior systems for both the U.S.

There are and were two models. The trad. ALICE pack able to carry 50lbs of gear. The second was named the Rucksack, it was also an ALICE pack but carried 70 plus lbs.

How do I know this, I carried both. On reg. humps the ALICE was packed. On LRRP's the Rucksack was used along with what we called the arsepack. The arsepack was what we used when we dropped our gear and made the final approach to recon the area.

Prior to 1974, ALICE pack was not in existance, the US military used what was called the M-1956 lightweight load carrying equipment pack or they carried the The M1967 Individual Load Carrying Equipment (called Modernized Load Carrying Equipment MLCE).

By the end of 1975, the M-1956 and M-1967 were completely phased out and the ALICE was used. All three packs were seen in useafter 1974 until the end of the Vietnam war.

Now the French did not use ALICE packs. They used Rucksacks that were sized in liters. Example, 35, 40. 50 litre waterproof bags. Granite, they probably know what they are, they just were not mil. issues.

Now in Europe I believe they use something called a Bergen? But then in the US we now use the ACU MOdular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment (MOLLE) II Assault Pack.

Enough pack info for ya?

Had to do a little research on the SPEAR.

The S.P.E.A.R. SYSTEM™ (Spontaneous Protection Enabling Accelerated Response) is a scientifically researched & medically reviewed personal defense measure that exploits the body’s natural responses to violence and danger. This survival mechanism, dubbed: Startle-Flinch Response has been scientifically integrated into a series of neuro-muscular drills that teaches individuals how to convert their instinctive reactions into protective and combative tactics.

Hmmmm, may need to read up on this as this is def. after my time. I still believe in the chewing on the throat theory.
    Last edited by FVR; 09-04-2007 at 02:00 PM.

Not sure what you are asking. As far as wild animals? I would fear lack of water, injury, things out of my control but as far as animals where I am nope I fear no animal if properly prepared. I am not going to hunt bears with a 10/22 for instance……………

Blog Entries

Question Fear?

Not sure what you are asking. As far as wild animals? I would fear lack of water, injury, things out of my control but as far as animals where I am nope I fear no animal if properly prepared. I am not going to hunt bears with a 10/22 for instance……………
    I hear you RiM, but is fear the right term? If you check back a few posts I believe it was WE or someone who mentioned that heavy caliber rounds have been known to bounce off Moose antlers when they have their heads down and are charging. Hunters have been killed by bears that they have put several rounds into. Who was it that said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"?
    Here's an interesting fact. How do you know when a hunter is in a state of panic? When he throws away his pack and his RIFLE! Panic is the thing to think about. Keeping a level head no matter what, wouldn't you agree?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Yep panic and another word that fits well is respect. I do not fear them but I do respect their power. not to woudl be foolish

Blog Entries

Cool Um Hmmm.

I'll be what i want to be..."sarge".
    His question is just here to stir the ****...and i answered it 3 times already.

But i think FVR answered that one for me.
    (thanks)

Never heard of "Bergen"...sounds german though.
    No Problemo Freddie.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

VW,

British.

The word backpack was coined in the United States in the 1910s. Knapsack and packsack were used before; they now occur mainly as regionalisms in North America. The word rucksack is a German loanword mainly used in the UK: 'der Rücken' means 'the back' (the part of the body) in German. Alternative names include Haversack, and Bergen (from the manufacturer's name Bergans, used for a rucksack supported by an external frame, usually associated with the British Armed Forces).

Blog Entries

Talking Ach du lieber!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    VW,

British.

The word backpack was coined in the United States in the 1910s. Knapsack and packsack were used before; they now occur mainly as regionalisms in North America. The word rucksack is a German loanword mainly used in the UK: 'der Rücken' means 'the back' (the part of the body) in German. Alternative names include Haversack, and Bergen (from the manufacturer's name Bergans, used for a rucksack supported by an external frame, usually associated with the British Armed Forces).
    Guten aben Herr FVR, Vat ist Los? Spieken zie Duestch?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Ahh, okay.

I have seen the movie more than once... it is a very interesting scenario that most people would rather not consider. It shows how people have to first get a realistic view of their situtation, gain awareness of their resources, commit to a course of action, follow the course to the end after many necessary adaptations most of which involve knucklehead humane foibles.

I will watch again the next time I have chance, if for no other reason than I like Jimmy Stuart... a great, good and faithful American.

Hunter63, saying Hey and Welcome......
    FWIW
    You know this discussion took place 7 years ago, right?........
    Not that the timing make things less valid, it's just that most everyone involved has moved on.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I read through most of this thread and have one thing to say. I'll be out in the woods not to far away, but far enough that you won't find me. If you are outnumbered and under attack, I will come help. Other than that, stay away from me because you guys would drive me crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I read through most of this thread and have one thing to say. I'll be out in the woods not to far away, but far enough that you won't find me. If you are outnumbered and under attack, I will come help. Other than that, stay away from me because you guys would drive me crazy
    I agree to all of that but about you guys driving me crazy, I am already been driven crazy from my 4 siblings. I would rather be on my own or with only my closest friends.