Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preparing bear meat

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Bowcatz View Post
    Bear meat is known for carrying trichinosis. It is the same parasite carried by swine (another greasy, fatty meat) and lives in the muscle tissue. Make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked before eating it. You'll have flu-like symptoms when you are infected with trichinosis at first. It's killed many an explorer in the North Pole who relied on polar bear meat when nothing else to eat was available and rescue was months away.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis Here's a link that explains the disease and the parasite well enough to encourage you to thoroughly cook the flesh before eating it.
    yeah.. thats more than enough motivation for me..

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

If you're in a survival situation, especially during colder months, you want all the fat you can get.

Bear meat is excellent in my opinion, but like every other wild meat, you should cook it well. I don't tend to like my meat grilled well done, so I end up making stews and soups more often than not. Bear makes great stew.

Again with the trichinosis! Cattle, pork, devon, and especially rabbit can have trichinosis.
    You eat raw meat you might get it! Cook the meat done and tender, and you will have no worries!
    In a survival situation, you won't worry what kind of meat it is as much as getting it's protien, and that is a fact.
    I know many an early explorer who lost his life from the canned goods they ate, (the lids were soldered) and they died of lead poisoning. However on the otherhand as a people who live all year long above the Artic Circle, seem to be some of the healthiest people in the north.
    Much of their food intake is raw, or near raw meat and fat, and bear is on their menu when the bear mistakenly wonder too close to the hunters.
    Trichinosis is an issue, but then it comes back to where the critter has been feeding, and what it eats.

Bear meat is very good, but it depends were it feeds and you hunt.
    Garbage in garbage out
    To thyne self be true

Try shredding it (like pulled pork) and then put the bear and tons of barbeque sauce in a crock pot and slow cook it. I've had bear this way. Yummy.
    This message sent on 100% recyclable electrons.