Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trapping Questions

TrappinGal, very informative post, and Great Pic's!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tacmedic View Post
    Is there any time you would use a longspring trap over a coilspring trap or vice versa? Or does it not really matter?
    I still have some long springs but I don't use them any more. I've found that coils are a little easier to set. I started out on coon with longsprings when I was a kid.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

IMO, its all about personal choice when people chose a trap. i like longspring for coon but coilspring for coyote.

i had some #1 Northwoods for coon but they easily pulled out of them so i culled them from my line.
    i now go with #11 Sleepy Creek dj. i like the 4.5 inch jawspead on coon.they have helled bobcats for me as well.
    I'm sweet as sugar but tough as nails.

i like my body traps because if i catch a small coyote i can still let it go and let it live a few more years if its a baby and its not harmed.
    2.i set my traps with a trap setter because my dad always said that an animal can smell human on the trap and try ot avoid it ,dont know if thats true or not but i learnt that way.
    3. i stretch my furs with boards but would like to try wire sometime because most ppl say its easier.

Trapping gal do you have any info on trapping foxes like what kind of a trap to use and were to put it . always wanted to trap them,

Blog Entries

Wow, love this thread, its my favorite and Trappin Gal you got the vote, great posts and pics and very informative.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Great looking shed! Very nice and orderly, and clean. It looks like you have a great respect for the animals you harvest and act as a professional in all ways. Nice work- you seem to be a fine representative for trappers. Keep up the good work
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Nicely done, TrappinGal, and excellent answers. Most of the trappers I know (they're getting fewer and farther between) have also gone over to the coil spring pretty much exclusively.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"