Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow making

Default Bow making

I have a question for bow makers: is cherry good for bow making?
    Rokas
    Continue developing

Canid and FVR make bows (I'm sure there are others as well). Here's a couple of threads on bows until they get on and give you some info.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1443

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=2160
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Yes, it will make a bow of a lighter weight. If I was to use a cherry stave, I would back it with hickory.

If I was going to venture and make a non backed bow, probably go with a wide flatbow or even better, a pyramid design.

all fruit bearing trees/shrubs make good bows.
    unless its an extremely large cherry stave it will probably be all twisty and awesome...just trickier to make is all.
    hey, its just wood right!

i hve some you can look at here...
    Last edited by Rick; 07-12-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Can't Advertise in the Post

yeah, i would recommend backing the cherry aswell. fiberglass or bamboo would make a good backing aswell, and you can even use textiles like linen, though i'm not experienced witht the linen. i've even heard of people using burlap.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

And what should be front? what tree?
    Continue developing

Blog Entries

Rokas,

Hoss, the front of the bow is called the back. The part of the bow when you are holding it that faces you is called the belly.

When we speak of backing the bow, we are talking of putting a layer of something on the back or the front of the bow.

I rec. hickory as it is about the toughest material out there. Bamboo is great also, but it is a real beoch if you don't have a plane to get it flat. You can purchase a piece of hickory backing for el cheapo.

Have you made any bows yet? What kind?

Go to this site and start reading. Jawge is an outstanding bowyer and knows his stuff. He ventures in here now and then.

http://mysite.verizon.net/georgeandjoni/archer.html
    Last edited by FVR; 07-13-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Great link FVR, and canid he even has a piece on there about using burlap.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

well I made few bows out of nut tree, but it was made just from one kind of tree. I didn't make complex bow like from to woods or something like that. And why bow made out of to wood layers is better than made out of one? And I don't think that hickory grows in my country. It's like N.America tree so I could make belly from the hardest wood in Lithuania-oak. I think it should work.
    Continue developing

oak will work so i heard

yeah, a lot of oaks work great. i've been working a bit with american red oak lately and i like it. it's a good bit more forgiving than i've heard others claim, at least if you aren't afraid to break an egg now and then, so to speak. the only oak bow i've broken was a seperation of my riser from the core. i've had more trouble with my backing glass [i'll never use minwax's polyshades again, even west systems epoxy wouldn't bond well to it].
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

If you want it to last. skip the cherry, just buy some cherry stain, its cheaper anyways.
    Cherry will crack over time.

Hey Ziggie, how about shooting your way over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

if you realy do not want to add a backing you can always size the back with multiple coats of hide glue and let dry, and then waterproof with thin pine resin.

I am not a bow guy so I don't know what works, but this looks really cool! I have seen people take snake skin and back a self bow and it looked great! You should be able to use shed skin and color or stain it if you do not want to kill a snake. You could ask your local hurpaculturist at the zoo or a herp club close to you for shed skin. the shed skin is really soft and thin so probably you would need to put it over sinue or something. just a thought. You guys got me thinking about making a self bow now.
    Stephen K. Wood

Blog Entries

I've backed bows with sinew, fish skin, snake skin, intestine, canvas, hemp, rawhide, leather, bamboo, hickory, and air. My pers. favs are sinew and air. Many use snake over sinew to protect it from the elements, 6 or 7 coats of clear spraypaint works better and I just like the look of sinew.

Shed skins won't work because they are almost completely deteriorated when you find them. It's easy to just go and buy a set of snake skins for 50 bucks a pair, or better yet a good trade.

would willow be good to make a bow shaft out of?

it wouldn't be ideal [many of the woods i've used aren't, i'm currently playing around with poplar, which is terrible], but you could make a servicable selfbow or backed bow from willow.

thanks.. popular would be a pain because if its stiffness. and for making bows what string do you recommend . that mabye you could make thats easy and quick?

What is it with all this quick and easy stuff? In life there is fast, good, and cheap. You can pick any two you want. You can have stuff that is fast and good but it won't be cheap. You can have fast and cheap but it won't be good. Slow down and take some time to do things right. You'll find it's a lot faster in the long run.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.