Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no knives allowed

Default Yay for google!

Quote Originally Posted by carcajou garou View Post
    Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru
    I like your signature

Default my knives

Have two Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie knives with San Mai steel that I have used for over 20 years. Don't believe it is possible to break one. Thet will flex 40 degress and go back to true. Not cheap but you pay for what you get. Check out the Cold Steel video. Keep one in the trunk of my wife's car, the other in my main kit in mine. Carry a folding Gerber lockback at all times (goes in my pocket when I put on my pants along with my NAA .22 lr Mini-revolver) Don't go any place without either of these. The main kit also has a small sheath knife, another lockback, a Leatherman Wave tool, and a Swiss Army knife. Also includes a small diamond hone and ceramic and metal crock sticks. I think a large knife (or small axe or hatchet) is probably your most important tool in a wilderness survival situation. For me the Trailmaster works as well as a small camp axe for anything up to and including small trees and is more versatile. The nylon sheath has a pocket on the front for the Swiss Army knife and a strech nylon pouch on the back for a small hacksaw blade, a flat spear point, and flat harpoon head. I would rather plan ahead than have tp improvise. Have enough stress in my life already.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Also, I'm one of them thar primitive nuts. I sometimes just like the basics, yeh it might be harder, but that's the fun.
    Likewise.

After roughing it...having luxury items at your disposal is like staying in a Holiday Inn.

Simple, the world we live in is a throw away world - I could find enough junk to make another knife or whatever even if I had to build a field expedient forge to do it with ! Even a sharp piece of glass can be used as a knife.....

Hacksaw blade or pallet strapping, with edge sharpened on pavement.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...hacksaw-blade/
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Necroposts.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by Lamewolf View Post
    Simple, the world we live in is a throw away world - I could find enough junk to make another knife or whatever even if I had to build a field expedient forge to do it with ! Even a sharp piece of glass can be used as a knife.....
    Need to change your name to Lazarus, you raised up a dead thread!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

One with the Wilderness Rangefinder's Avatar

DSCF7035.jpgWouldn't be the first time... I dressed out a good sized Muley doe with this "knife". I did the basic stupid--watered a bush and wasn't paying attention when my knife slid off my belt. I buttoned and buckled, and moved out. Several hours and miles later, I dropped my doe. Guess what--no knife. Realized in an instant where I would find it, but wasn't excited about back-tracking so far before I could even start dressing.BUT, plenty of chert in the area, found a chunk to work, and chipped a quick edge. It doesn't look like much, but for a 10 minute napping job it made quick work of that doe. I Saved it all these years simply because of that.

Banned

Dammit, if I suddenly found myself without a Knife I suppose I'd have to wait until Walmart opened. That would be a real inconvenience ....LOL
    Last edited by crashdive123; 02-10-2014 at 12:37 PM.

I've mentioned this a couple of times before but for the sake of the new folks....I saw a BBC documentary a few years back about flint and chirt knives compared to modern day. Turns out a flint knife can achieve a cutting edge thickness of 3 microns across. A modern scalpel is 7 microns.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    what would happen kiddies if when out with your "one tool to survive" your precious was broken or lost, tell me what ya'll would do then.
    everyone here seems to have a mojor fetish and dependance on their little piece of steel, so i would like to know how you would survive w/o

always be prepared
    Why is it with posts like these where someone challenges everyone to a hypothetical, that so many post that it couldn't happen to them because they are uber prepared? The question is what would those people who rely on their knives as the one tool to survive suddenly found themselves without one in a, I would assume wilderness survival situation.

These threads go something like this:

No knives allowed. I would have a knife! Yeah, but lets say that circumstances put you into a situation where you didn't have a knife. I would have a knife!!! Ok, but, the thread says "No knives allowed". I would use the prison shank I sewed into my leg. I am never without my knife and don't want to participate in you scenario but oddly feel compelled to post in the thread anyways. Also you are stupid for not having a knife in this thread!!!!

I live in an area where suitable stones do not naturally exist. There are discards of old settlements. But, assuming we are talking about not finding steel or glass to use, I would have to go with what the native Tequesta and Calloosa Indians used bone, shell, and sharp teeth.

I carry a two blade Case XX trapper, a Spyderco Waved Endura, a Leatherman Super Tool and a 2 blade with scissor grooming tool EDC. You could probably improvise a cutting edge on a credit or rewards card (I use a credit card in a pinch to apply vinyl store graphics to windows and signs. The transfer tape, with is a low tack masking tape, quickly puts a sharp edge on the card that I have cut myself with before. We have cellphones and watches with glass on them and the phone may have been rendered useless in an accident. Metal belt buckles, keys and other things that might be on our key rings.

Either way preparedness isn't a reliance on tool fixation. Miyamoto Musashi defeated Sasaki Kojirō using various tactics. He was late which Sasaki thought was very disrespectful and became angry about. But, by being late Musashi had allowed the sun to sink behind him. This put the sun into Sasaki's eyes after his first arrogant attack. Musashi didn't get out of the boat with his sword. But, with a sharpened wooden oar. This apparent unarmed state probably made Sasaki overconfident. Allowing Musashi to draw him into an unguarded position and killed him quickly with the oar. Musashi had also calculated the tide so that it carried him away from the island and Sasaki's angry friends.

Or as was posted earlier a statement to the arrogant thought that this can not happen to me. Saru Mo Ki Kara Ochiru! Even monkeys fall from trees!