Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Potato Question

Default Potatoes in tires

I was always told that growing any food in tires was bad big time as they would leach into the food. If that isn't true, sure would make my raised bed project easier. Also, I didn't know about the pinching back the flowers. Great!!!! Always something to learn. Thanks.
    LindyLu

Chris and all here is another method of potatoes in a container. Its like a compost box with one side left open. as the plant grows another board is placed on the open side and dirt is filled in. here is the link
    http://www.stumbleupon.com/toolbar/#...-potatoes%252F
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

dammit people! When I see a thread titled "potato question" I expect to click on it and find a picture of Mr. PotatoHead with his hand up, so I can say "go ahead Potato, ask your question..."

I am very disappointed...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Nice post, Karl. You'll have to excuse the riff raff. Someone left the forum door open again.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just for you Trax.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopeak View Post
    What is the reason that you keep covering the plant (Stem and leaves) with soil as it grows? Does it defer flowering...? Does it make more runners...?

What why keep covering the plant..? And can this be overdone...?What if you never let it flower....?
    the leaf sites produce rootlets when covered with soil,the rootlets produce the potato
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

....and if you don't mound them up (like I didn't last year) some of the runners will spread out about 15 feet, taking root where you leas expect it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I tried using a 5 gallon bucket last year and failed miserably. This is a timely post. I'll have to try something along these lines this year.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I liked the tire stacking method that some posted about last year. My wife however, does not share my idea of what an attractive garden is.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thats, OK rick I thought I smelled a breeze. Anyone have any opinions on placing the potato box near the compost boxes beside turning over the earth in the wrong box.

I may regret asking about opinions.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I like the idea of the potato box. As far as next to the compost bins.....shouldn't be a problem.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Opinions, huh? I's my opinion if you built a round box then all you'd have to do is roll it over to harvest the spuds then roll it back again to keep it growing.

We are growin Kennebeck potatoes (good for storage) in 35 gal plastic trash cans. washed and rinsed them, drilled holes in bottom, 6" dirt, potatoe eyes (4 per can) and 3" dirt. As the plants grow, add dirt or mulch leaving tops above dirt line. Add after approx 5" of growth. Keep going till plants die off, roll out the potatoes. (we hope).
    Tweelia

I have started my sweet potato's in the house and have just got some vines started . But what do I do with the vines ? Do I cut in to the Sweet Potato were the vine is at , or just take the vine and put it in the ground ? ...Please Help.... I have never raised sweet Potato's before . I am just going off what I remember from my Grandpa and what he did . Is there a site for me to go to ?
    Do it with what you got and you want need what you don't have

Quote Originally Posted by Smok View Post
    I have started my sweet potato's in the house and have just got some vines started . But what do I do with the vines ? Do I cut in to the Sweet Potato were the vine is at , or just take the vine and put it in the ground ? ...Please Help.... I have never raised sweet Potato's before . I am just going off what I remember from my Grandpa and what he did . Is there a site for me to go to ?
    I did sweet potatoes for the first time last year. I would recommend that when you put them in the soil, transfer them the same way you would any other seedling that you transfer. As it grows, mound it up as others have stated.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Looks like my sweet potato problems (I was able to harves about 12 pounds) were rooted in not having enough space for them to grow. The little (read not nearly big enough) raised bed I used was next a patio. The vines crossed the patio and had very little area to take root as they grew.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Just for you Trax.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Yes! There at the back of the room...Mr PotatoHead? Go ahead with your question...
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Why do potatoes only have three fingers and people have four? And who stole my legs?