Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: an absolute must read

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    This kind of gives all the impression of one's self.

Here goes.

I have always been the loner, don't depend on anyone. That way, you don't get let down. I can function very well in a team, if the team members all have the same common goal, and they take is seriously.

I am an alpha male.

Like wareagle, people give me a wide berth as I am not a friendly looking guy. Well, I'm just not friendly. No tats just the 100 yard stare.

I am known as the guy that gets the job done. So, that is what I would do. You need a ditch, I'll get it made, you need wood, done. You stand over me and try to give me orders with your hands in your pocket, we gonna have a little talk.

I don't play the little horseplay games that some young men play. If I'm going to use my strength, it's serious.

I am also a warrior as volwest and wareagle are. No better, no worse.

If ryaninmaine shows up with his 5 brothers and 5 brothers in law, I will be packing my bags. Too many family members, ya piss one off and the whole clan comes looking for you. Tensions are going to be high and control is paramount.

So, if you wanted me in the group, I'd come in. If you did not, I'd go on my way down the trail.
    I am with FVR on this, I also am a get it done type, and I am a warrior when it is needed. I like to work with my hands, I also cook, and could learn to hunt again if needed. I don't like to lead so that ain't my spot.
    I need to be part of a team to be happy, as long as that entire team works, when the loafers come out I get upset fast. I am not good at explaining myself so I will stop here.
    -Sam

I thought you did just fine Sam.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am friends with Sam, I think if something went down I would mosey my way over to his place (also my best friends place) and I would bring my rifle, my foodstuffs, and my little BOB. I have medical skills, I am very familiar with the area and know where to fish and find game. I am 6'2" but I am a nice guy. so i am the medic/hunter/fisherman.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

Just read these posts. We're are not even closed to a surivial Scenario and already we have varied differences of opinon.

In a crisis, with little food, very little sleep, tension high, things will get worse Hopefully it would get sorted out in a very short time.

The anicents had a system or social structure , Warriors, hunters, gathers. medicine men/women (healers, soothsayers) the very old for wisdom, the very young to be taught. All required to make the community work.

I have spent my time as a Warrior ( USMC Infantry 1961-1970) and enforcer (LEO) and now at an age where I can do neither physically, however I do and can pass the lessons learned on to those that desire or require this type information from an old warrior.

My ulitmate role would be a type of Dog soldier tethered ( physically or mentally) to an area allowing the women and childern to escape harm.

No hero complex. just reality on not being able to travel fast or long distances. If that is required I would become a burden instead of an asset.

Everyone in the group would have a role, either by choice or assignment. The ability to recognize what each one can contribute is what makes a leader. Not the most fierce, not the stongest. The loner maybe the best scout. The small quite one maybe the best hunter.

In times of Crisis I have seen large men crumble, and the least expected one to emerge to take charge. I have seen charge nurses lose it and the newest LPN step up, the most fierce fail as they charged headlong into something that should have been thought out.

But then I have seen large fierce men come to the forefront as that was what was needed at the time.

Some of the best Marines I have known would/could excell in combat, but would fail in garrison

The very best excelled in both.

Semper FI
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

very good article... and good replies also... FVR brought up a good point, with families, the "buggin' out" scenario becomes vastly more complicated...

I was living with my Dad/step-mom in East Texas when Hurricane Ike came through... talk about mass chaos... we lived 1/2 mile off the main evacuation route from SE Texas (and SW Louisiana)... and traffic was bumper to bumper (even with "contra-flow" traffic - using both lanes to head north). On top of that, lines at the gas stations and wal-mart were ridiculous. Too make matters even worse, FEMA or "some" government agency was buying up all the rice from distributors... I was told by a Wal-Mart employee that it would be "2 or 3 weeks" before any more rice came in.

The point being... you have to be "ahead of the curve" because when the SHTF, the unprepared masses are going to create chaos.

GOOD THREAD; INTERESTING TOPIC...

Unfortunately, me living three miles by land from a large Air Force Base terminates me in most doomsday scenarios. I have a BOB for small situations that will only temporary. I have been one to recognize the probabilities of long term B/O's that require the run and gun mentality. The "Wolverine" scenerio plays out with madness and poor ratio of survival. Civil upheaval lends itself to stealing and pilliaging. I believe a home sitrep with preps and contacts make more sense in the longhaul. Also easier to carry 500 pounds of rice from the back of the basement to the front.
    "Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind.”

— Thoreau

In 1978 (I think) our community was hit by a cyclone. Extensive damage across miles and miles. We worked 18 hour days when the temp never dropped below 100F. Then went home and worked on our own homes. Everyone pulled together and worked better than I had ever seen. Folks were bringing something to drink out to all the utility crews and no one was complaining because their service was out. It was a true SHTF scenario and only community spirit put the town back together.

Everyone thinks SHTF is some civil unrest when, in fact, it's as close as the next tornado, cyclone, hurricane or earthquake.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Cool

Can you imagine the people on this thread alone all together trying to make it? haha. One big happy family. =)

Seriously though, it is amazing how people will come together when there is a large disaster and there are enough with skills to help the others survive (or teach them) that really makes the difference.

A good example of the differences and the gathering for the same cause is by one example I can think of that is in a movie form called "Defiance" about world war II and the Jews who bugged out into the wilderness. It won't be just the young heading for safe zones, but the elderly and other war vets of all ages with their families. In which, the same cause can be something that bonds even the most opposite people together and they find safety in numbers as the more men and guns they have, the better security. I think that is why so many survival groups are popping up across America and Europe as well.

It seems, its not just a few people who are expecting the worst on one Continent, but across the oceans and everyone just senses something may happen that they have to prepare for. Just roaming through the Internet at Militias across America there were listed "known" 514 militia across the United States alone. Texas had the most, Michigan was second, and every other State had close to 10 or more. Survival/preparedness groups are in the thousands across America. In such a good way, its good to see people coming together for even preparing for the worst to happen. Whether its an earthquake or a nuclear mishap, at least people are finding common ground and sense that survival is not just a want, its a necessity.
    Born to be Free.
    Be prepared to Survive Everything.
    Urban/Homestead/EMP/Health/Disaster Survival Preparedness Forum:
    http://www.bsoscblog/forum/

I hadnt read this thread yet, thanks AE for dragging it up. What happened to volwest? He must have been gone before I got here and he took all his posts with him. I looked his profile up and it says 22 posts but when I searched for them, it couldnt find anything.
    Last edited by Camp10; 09-12-2010 at 08:41 AM.

He became Voleast who became Remy who decided to leave and take his posts with him.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

For long term survival the man as an island / BOL hermitage model is not feasible. I think there's a reason our caveman ancestors formed tribes.

A single individual might actually perish the first time he becomes too ill to forage, breaks his glasses, breaks his leg, needs a doctor, needs a new knife, runs out of snare wire, runs out of ammunition, breaks his firearm, drops his pack down a ravine, gets a hole in his last water container, you see where I'm going with this.

Also, who will have and raise children, you know - to further our species, by themselves in the woods?

I read an article by a journailst who had started a self sufficiency project. Solar panels, water reclaimation, grew his own food, raised livestock, made clothes for him and his family (he had a small child). He got to the point he only went to town every 3 months. This was him living in a house, not in the woods, in a cave, or in a survival bunker, etc.

He finally came to the conclusion that even if he gathered enough resources to be completely self sufficient he would ultimately be a target for those around him. Also he did not possess all the skills needed to provide for certain contingencies while raising his family. He decided he needed a community of like-minded individuals in the end.

A short term solo bug-out to survive katrina or a regional power outage, etc seems doable. But not much more.

Blog Entries

Cool Read it again!

For those of you who think "bugging-out" is an option, you need to read this thread!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    For those of you who think "bugging-out" is an option, you need to read this thread!
    Not for you maybe but it has been done through out history and will continue to be done. It is an option and one that FEMA often dictates. It should be prepared for.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 01-22-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Not for you maybe but it has been done through out history and will continue to be done. It is an option and one that FEMA often dictates. It should be prepared for.
    AS, you live in Alaska...you've already "bugged-out!"
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Millers Reach is not to far from here where FEMA forced an evacuation due to forest fire and then let peoples houses burn down. There was one instance I know of that one guy left his place with waterpumps raining all over his place. Emergency services disconected his pump to use elsewhere and let his house burn down. That guy was prepared to stay and did not want to evacuate but had no choice.

FEMA did that? They usually don't even get involved until the President signs a Disaster Declaration and that's after the state petitions the feds.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    FEMA did that? They usually don't even get involved until the President signs a Disaster Declaration and that's after the state petitions the feds.
    He did sign off on it but just so you know. http://www.ak-prepared.com/plans/mitigation/mrfire.htm

AS - If you were there, you may have knowledge that is not in the reporting. It looks like from the link that you provided that FEMA rendered financial aid following the disaster. In other stories regarding the fire I could find no reference were FEMA evacuated anybody. Local fire departments and forestry officials yes. FEMA no. In fact, disaster wasn't declared at the federal level until four days after the fire started. Here's a few I looked at.

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-prod...wildfire-ever/

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles...news/news1.txt

http://www.fema.gov/news/event.fema?id=693
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There were actually two evacuations. The first was Millers reach road and then expanded to Big lake area. I never read anything about it and only looked that link up for Rick. Most of what I know was just what people were saying but materials were being donated to rebuild and the company I worked for volunteered its trucks and we drivers volunteered our time to deliver the trailers so I was getting some stories first hand.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 01-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    Millers Reach is not to far from here where FEMA forced an evacuation due to forest fire and then let peoples houses burn down. There was one instance I know of that one guy left his place with waterpumps raining all over his place. Emergency services disconected his pump to use elsewhere and let his house burn down. That guy was prepared to stay and did not want to evacuate but had no choice.
    Grrrr, Forced evacuation is un-American.
    Here's the must read.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.