Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: an absolute must read

Last edited by Sarge47; 07-31-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Last edited by Sarge47; 07-31-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Blog Entries

Question P-a-s

The above initials stand for "Post-Apoclyptic-Scenario, which I will refer to as Scenario "B" for short. Scenario "A" will be for "short-term" survival situations that rarely last over 72 hours, and are keeping more in line with what this site is actually all about. I think that there can be no argument here that just about every member of the Wolf-Pack here would come out pretty much okay during a "class A" scenario based on their knowledge, expertise, and equipment choices. It's the "class B" scenarios that are more unpredictable. "Bad guys" are able to asses the strength of any person or persons and act accordingly. Ergo, they take the well-equipped "good guy/gal" out of the equation by a well-placed ambush, or something like that. Surviving long-term is definitely a matter of luck as well as "being prepared." Duncan Long at the "Rubicon" web-site makes a good case for "trustworthy communities." The problem that I have is where does such a thing exist in this day & age? Mr. Long's text was released in 1989, a time when a lot more people could be trusted. Another glitch with "Communal-type living" is learning to live with one another; any of you "old married folks" will have a clue to what I'm talking about. I'm sure Volwest knows, since he works in Pyscology of some sort. As an example, we all get along here on this web-site seemingly okay, but what if we were all to move in together, even as a way of surviving, what would happen? Nobody here really knows that much about one another.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Question Right on!

Your welcome, VW. Something that's important in any survival situation where a group is involved is "resources". Using this group as a model I wonder how we might asses and utilize the resources displayed here?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

i have typed it in by hand and it jumps to where it should go an article on backpack fever

thank you dr volwest

i was really hoping that you would be able to read this article that i was trying to link to. it really changed my mind on the thoughts of b/o in a situation in will now use b/o as a secondary plan and make adjustments for a b/in maybe ryan in michigan should also try to find this site.

always be prepared

true
    i was looking at it based not so much on the latter part of the article about joining a comunity but rather on the begining of the article and the challenges faced when decideing to b/o

Blog Entries

Good article, pretty much true.

The bug out mentallity is great, for one or two persons, but when you are talking of families, it's just not feasable.

People don't realize that living primitive is alot of hard work. If you are not getting food, you're getting firewood.

Cut a cord of wood, pile it and use it for cooking and heating. Won't last you long. I can burn a cord of wood in the fireplace in about two weeks just having comfy home fires in the winter.

You ever cut a cord of wood? without a chainsaw? take of the wedding rings boys as you will get blisters. Then you need to lift, stack, and if you don't stack right, cover.

There are problems with the community idea also. Most conflict will come with those that want to lead, then there are those that don't want to work, there are personality conflicts, and power struggles. Then what happens if someone breaks the rules?

I've never minded bringing up the rear, because as stated that is where most attacks start. Always put your two strongest in the rear, your best pointman up front and keep that radio operator and corpsman in the middle and safe.

Gonna be a good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

The bug out mentallity is great, for one or two persons, but when you are talking of families, it's just not feasable.

People don't realize that living primitive is alot of hard work. If you are not getting food, you're getting firewood.

Cut a cord of wood, pile it and use it for cooking and heating. Won't last you long. I can burn a cord of wood in the fireplace in about two weeks just having comfy home fires in the winter.

You ever cut a cord of wood? without a chainsaw? take of the wedding rings boys as you will get blisters. Then you need to lift, stack, and if you don't stack right, cover.

There are problems with the community idea also. Most conflict will come with those that want to lead, then there are those that don't want to work, there are personality conflicts, and power struggles. Then what happens if someone breaks the rules?

I've never minded bringing up the rear, because as stated that is where most attacks start. Always put your two strongest in the rear, your best pointman up front and keep that radio operator and corpsman in the middle and safe.

Gonna be a good thread.
    Your in the south. don't talk to me about firewood. I can burn a cord in week just to keep the ****ter from frezing. the famaliy idea works. I have 5 brothers and brothers in law that all grew up this way along with me. I welcome the problem
    Last edited by ryaninmichigan; 08-07-2007 at 10:26 PM.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the original link's "404 Error" is kind of funny. Let it run for a minute...
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Blog Entries

ryaninmichigan,

You have an extended family, good for you. Betcha that crapper fills up fast, watch out with open flame.

As far as cutting wood, been around my friend and have cut my share. I've only been in Georgia since 90.

The idea I was trying to get across is that, most do not realize how fast a cord of wood goes. Most don't even know what a cord of wood looks like.

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

I never really copped to the 'bug-out' thing, for the simple reason that it IS a bit complex to plan for the unthinkable, or unknowable. I live in earthquake country (although not as bad as Alaska), so that's what I plan for. I will never know its coming, I may die while it's happening, but there's a better chance I'll get through it.

I think in the end, mitigation is the key, but be prepared to leave if it comes to that. Case in point, if the 'big one' were to hit, what would be the point in staying here? I'd be out of a job AND a home.

I guess we just can't worry about everything - it kind of takes the fun out of life.

As far as community is concerned, volwest is right, there will always be people's personalities and dispositions to deal with. I do think that people who share a traumatic experience tend to bond at a deeper level than most of us can understand, but in the end, the personalities that were brought to the table would prevail.

My father used to say that if you redistributed the wealth, and everyone had an equal share of money, by the end of the month, the rich would still be rich, and the poor would still be poor. (I'll grant you, he's a bit of a snob) What I derived from that is that, like I said above, people bring their baggage with them, and they will eventually open it for all to see.
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Blog Entries

Yeh, bugging out just never did it for me. Now if I need to go to the woods to survive, that's one thing. But to run to the woods with my tail between my legs, just not my thing.

I do envy the large familys like yaninmichigan has. Yeh, there would be conflict, but the main goal is the survival of the unit. They just have a larger unit than most.

The community thing could work depending on who is in the community.

Blog Entries

Question Cutting Firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post

Gonna be a good thread.
    Now I gotta ask this question...what kind of wood are we talkin' about? Hickory? Oak?? Pine? Some will burn long & even, others fast & furious, and before you know it you're out lookin' an' cuttin' more wood. Yeah, it ain't like in the comic books or the movies.

Who's gonna lead? This group is definately a bunch of "hard-headed independent cusses", that's why I dig you all! When taking inventory you have to take into account what each person has to offer. Some people are natural leaders, others are good at other things. I'm a good cook so I know my place in the order of things. A person with an education in medicine would be the medic. The guy(s) with the muscles can do heavy lifting, but others could help as needed. Women folk always need protecting as anyone can be a sexual preditor.(sp?) Finally the big question; how do you get a bunch of independent thinkers to operate as a team?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Who's gonna lead? This group is definately a bunch of "hard-headed independent cusses", that's why I dig you all! When taking inventory you have to take into account what each person has to offer. Some people are natural leaders, others are good at other things. I'm a good cook so I know my place in the order of things. A person with an education in medicine would be the medic. The guy(s) with the muscles can do heavy lifting, but others could help as needed. Women folk always need protecting as anyone can be a sexual preditor.(sp?) Finally the big question; how do you get a bunch of independent thinkers to operate as a team?
    That’s an interesting thought, where do each of you think your main place would be in a team? Where would your skills best be put into play?

Me I’d probably be most helpful in the medicine category since I’ve been researching herbs and how to use plants as medicine. Plus I’m pretty accommodating, my friends always come to my house because they know I’ll pamper them, treat them when there sick give them back rubs etc. so I’d be pretty happy with that position or at least being an assistant of someone with that position. Along with doing basic things that I can do like gather firewood etc.

I guess i would fit in as the "worker". I always have, and I always will. I like to lose myself in a task. I'm also a problem solver, I look for the easiest way to do things and have perfected the art! Mostly so I don't have to work as long... (I like the FINISHING part of a job the most)

So based on all that where do you think your main place would be in a team volwest?

Blog Entries

Wink Camp Massuse?

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    That’s an interesting thought, where do each of you think your main place would be in a team? Where would your skills best be put into play?

Me I’d probably be most helpful in the medicine category since I’ve been researching herbs and how to use plants as medicine. Plus I’m pretty accommodating, my friends always come to my house because they know I’ll pamper them, treat them when there sick give them back rubs etc. so I’d be pretty happy with that position or at least being an assistant of someone with that position. Along with doing basic things that I can do like gather firewood etc.
    Okay Owl Girl is both the Camp Massuse and Medicine woman , anybody else?
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Okay Owl Girl is both the Camp Massuse and Medicine woman , anybody else?
    masseuse? Na ah that’s massage therapist buddy. There’s a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by owl_girl View Post
    Hunting. Oh yeah, firewood cutting too. I kept my house supplied in firewood when I lived in northern Manitoba every winter for 12 years.

Oh, and cuddling, definitely good at that,
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"