Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Living in the wild

Default Living in the wild

I'm just wondering how many people here are actually trying to live in the wild away from society eventually and isnt just a hobby? Right now im Going on training runs to put my book smarts to practice so i can actually live in the wild evetually once i feel confident enough to do so. Am i the only one whos crazy?

Blog Entries

No, you have some company here. For starters, there's Rick, 2dumb, Sarge, wareagle........... Not necessarily living in the wild - just crazy.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Don't mind Ken. He's off his meds again. There are a lot of members on here that live off grid. Some are so remote that they seldom see another person. Stick around. There are a lot here you can learn from.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Solanum View Post
    I'm just wondering how many people here are actually trying to live in the wild away from society eventually and isnt just a hobby? Right now im Going on training runs to put my book smarts to practice so i can actually live in the wild evetually once i feel confident enough to do so. Am i the only one whos crazy?
    Solanum..... if you look back there are probibily several dozen people who have expressed a desire to go native in the short time I have been a member here. With the pace of life today and all the crazy things that are happening on a daily basis, I think there are probibily hundreds if not thousands of people who would love to tell society to take a hike and head for the mountians. And it ain't to get a busch beer either! I am working on purchasing the land for a "bug out" retreat, to get outta most of society, But am gettin just to darn old to play mountian man and go live in the woods completely unless TSHTF then ???? Unlike some others you at least are planning on taking "baby steps" to start and go for several shakedown trips to see if you can do it, instead of packing your buck knife and headin for the woods. As for beein' crazy?? Have you read some of the posts scattered through the entire forum??? All I can say is welcome to the ASYLUM meds are passed out right after dinner!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    No, you have some company here. For starters, there's Rick, 2dumb, Sarge, wareagle........... Not necessarily living in the wild - just crazy.
    Ken I thought we were friends??? you left the biggest nut out of the asylum!

Well i already have former Survival training Because i was in the military and ive been reading up on for more than a year in intervals but most my actually Training which i have practiced is ocean survival and i want to go for the forest area like yellowstone or something but i would like to find a mentor to teach me some of the lessons of the wild and give me some first hand experiance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    Ken I thought we were friends??? you left the biggest nut out of the asylum!

And OLDSOLDIER! Dang, how could I have forgotten him? Maybe it has something to do with an overdue danish (the desert, not the people) delivery.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Blog Entries

Well ......... but most my actually Training which i have practiced is ocean survival
    Fun, wasn't it?
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

some parts but mostly i didnt want to be outside in the gulfs 100+ degree temps

Blog Entries

some parts but mostly i didnt want to be outside in the gulfs 100+ degree temps
    Try it in New England. In March. It's a little bit cooler, I'll tell ya'.
    W. Edwards Deming

General John Stark

Have you considered working for a survival instructor? If you have someone in the field that you respect, you might consider working for them in exchange for their teaching you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

well i was in the persian gulf... in the middle east. i'm planning to go to Ouachita National Forest first though.

i wouldnt know where to find anyone like that rick but yea id be intrested in doing that for sure

i wouldnt know where to find anyone like that rick but yea id be intrested in doing that for sure
    Here's a suggestion if there are any outfitters or guide services in your area contact them and maybe "volunteer" to work for them on week-end trips in exchange for them teaching you some of their knowledge.

i live in dallas man theres not alot of people like that here that i know of in the big city lol

well solanum, you sound like you are prepping for this the right way, finally someone worth talking to about this.
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Go to your local book store. There are tons of books out there and each one has an author. If there's one you like then go for it.

Here's a list of survival schools in Texas - Scroll down...

http://www.hollowtop.com/Schools_North_America.htm

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We "live in the wild" and it doesn't incorporate living in a shrub shelter, making our daily fire by rubbing sticks, or drinking out of mud puddles.

My humble opinion is that the dream to "live simply in the woods" for extended periods of time (=years and decades) by just "survival methods" is destined to remain just that - a dream. If the people who were seriously wanting to live that way would REALLY want to do it, they'd be either living already in a no electricity shack, a 5-hour hike to the next road, or out there doing it.
    Actions speak louder than words

yea right now im reading survival wisdom and know-how from stackpole books. its not evry good though lol i dont reconmend it. i need to get a copy of the sas survival manuel

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    We "live in the wild" and it doesn't incorporate living in a shrub shelter, making our daily fire by rubbing sticks, or drinking out of mud puddles.

My humble opinion is that the dream to "live simply in the woods" for extended periods of time (=years and decades) by just "survival methods" is destined to remain just that - a dream. If the people who were seriously wanting to live that way would REALLY want to do it, they'd be either living already in a no electricity shack, a 5-hour hike to the next road, or out there doing it.
    its not about where you live its about the way society is now and not wanting to be apart of it anymore