Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: machete vs. tomahawk

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You guys finally wore me down and I bought an Eastwing camp axe today. We'll see if I like it better than my Kurki.

I've got one of those. It's one of the few pieces of gear that I can say was worth every cent. It performs it's intended task superbly.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-26-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: fixed quote

Quote Originally Posted by Runs With Beer View Post
    Pict, where con I see a pic of that machete by Ontario?
    The 12 inch Ontario is the one in my machete video

Machete Modifications for the Bush

Here's two shots of this machete before I had made any modifications.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

I bought it at Ace Hardware and yes it is an Estwing. Picky, picky, picky!
    Good place that Ace... Especially with my 15% discount! lol

I've been trying to get our store manager to order those in. We constantly sell out of their hammers.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior
    Facta non verba

Lethality of the 22LR - Actual test
    Honor dies where interest lies

Pict,Is that one more sturdy than the norm?

What Does The Sheath Look Like, I Think I Left The Cap On ?

WHAT IS THE small knife?

Blog Entries

RwB, That small knife is a well used U.S. military pilots survival knife. They are heavy bladed with fairly soft steel. If you try to pry with them they will bend. I've wore out quite a few of them.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

You guys finally wore me down and I bought an Eastwing camp axe today. We'll see if I like it better than my Kurki.

i really like the sheath on that estwing, very nice design on it.

It's called a Sportsman's axe. My local Ace ordered it for me. They didn't have it in stock either. The thing that ticked me off is I had received a $5 dollars off coupon in the mail. I thought, what timing, since I was going to purchase the axe anyway. I went to Ace and ordered the axe and by the time I got home had lost the coupon. @#$#$@##^. $5 bucks out the window!

Anywhoooo. I have several Estwing hammers and have used them all my life. I have 2 Estwing hammers that must be 30 years old and still...uh...hammering. Good quality stuff so I'm looking forward to the axe. Just 13 inches long. I'm hoping it will slip in one of the loops on the back of my Alice pack. Would make carrying it pretty easy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't know if all of them carry Estwings, but the Home Depot's around here carry the one that you bought plus a bit larger one.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

There is one called a campers axe that is 21" (I think). It was just a little big for my needs. I have a felling axe and a double bit axe here at the house as well as a splitter but I wanted something to carry on my pack. I'll try this guy and see how it works.
    Last edited by Rick; 11-27-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

RWB,

Ontario makes an economy model that is lighter weight. This is their standard model with the thicker/heavier blade. I don't know the product code. They also make them with a saw back, which I don't recommend.

The knife is the Air Force Survival Knife by Ontario. For general wilderness tasks it can be made into a decent knife with some work but as it comes from the factory it is a poor performer once clear of the wreckage. According to its original purpose it is more of a pilots egress tool than a wilderness survival blade, hammer, puncture/cut fuselage, pry metal.

I've kept mine in its original configuration, only reprofiled the edge to a much sharper angle. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Yep - campers axe - that's the other one they carry.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Did the American pioneers favor a tomahawk over a short sword or large bowie type knife? That is the perception I am lead to believe.

If the tomahawk was favored, why?

I ask because some on the forum seem to favor a machete. Both have a place but, if you have to choose between them which would you choose and why.
    My thoughts on the above would be - American pioneers favored the tomahawk over short swords or bowie type knives for three reasons:

1. Economic: An iron tomahawk with a steel bit would be much cheaper than a large steel knife or sword.

2. Availability: As tomahawks were used for trade goods, they were much more available on the frontier. While some might state that knives were also used for trade goods - these knives were not in the "bowie" category and were more like our current day kitchen knives (the cheap ones).

3. Utility: A tomahawk can be used as a weapon or as a tool - in a much more versatile way than a bowie or a short sword (or machete).
    Raised By Bears
    Bear Clan

Sarge - Move to General Survival
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

retired American

Like was said before, depends where you are. In America I always carried tomahawk in woods. My mother is native American and I was given one at a young age and learned to throw it very well, not that there is really much call for that anymore except in contests. In Thailand I carry parang which is like a machete but with a more pointed blade. it is very useful in the jungle. malaysians by the way in the martial art of silat learn a very advanced form of fighting with parangs and machetes and have used them in war as well as work for centuries, as have the Filipinos. Thais throughout history in warfare used hatchets and axes as well as swords.

Pict I really enjoyed the video, it was very informative and I think I will include the Ontario 12" machete in my BOB layout. I will feel well prepared knowing we will have a 'Hawk and machete. Also in keeping with the "debate" between the two. From what Little I know the mountain Men carried something along the lines of both, at least what they could get at that time. They learned from both societies and used the best of both worlds.... which is what I plan to do as well. I don't think it is really a "debate" over which is better, but how to be better prepared. Everyone has valid points and after reading this whole thread, I have decided that the best way is to carry both. There really is not a single "best" tool for all the different needs/uses. Just ask your auto mechanic,and see what he has in his toolbox. Having said that - let me better prepare my toolbox. Thanks all.
    Last edited by pocomoonskyeyes; 08-25-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: reducing redundant wording