Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural glue

I'm an advocate of the pine tea and I enjoy chewing some of the needles. Just didn't know about the skeeter smoker. That's a must do on the list. I use DEET but don't particularly like adding the chemicals to the skin. I've also used pine cones as fire starters but had never considered them for insects. Thanks!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

How do you gather pine sap? do you cut trees or pick dripping sap from tree split or something like that? And what would be the most economic way for me and tree to gather sap?(I need to make as smallest hole or split as possible, but to gather sap quite quickly... I'm not talking about survival situation where's every hour counts, but I don't want to wait few weeks or so to gather a tin of sap... I don't want to harm trees without any reason...)
    Continue developing

Default Rokas

read michbowguy's response, it's on the money. Michbowguy....the inside bark can be made into a tea which prevents scurvy as well, pine trees are apparently a good source of vitamin C (?) I'm like you, I never got an "education" from anyone except my elders about these things so I don't have any sources to quote.

You can also, if you have a big pot, boil pine sticks on a slow boil and skim the sap as it rises, but that gets messy.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Trax, I heard that pine needles has more vitamin C than lemon... I think it's true because they are small, but has that sour taste... It's not very strong, because bitter overcome that taste...
    Continue developing

Blog Entries

Don't ya just love them pine trees?

Help with the fire and bugs, makes a good glue, makes a good cup of tea, scrape off the cambium and not only is it full of vit. c, but it makes your breath nice and fresh.

Pine needles make good bedding, and keeps the bugs out. Now, I find out you can use it for antiseptic on minor injuries.

I have a tree just a ooozing sap in the back yard. May have to just collect some and make some pitch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine

Scroll down to Food Uses.

Now it's official. Hey, if it's on the net it has to be true, right?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Not on April 1
    Continue developing

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rokas View Post
    Does anyone of you knows how to make glue in woods from natural materials? It would be good if those glue would be quite strong and water-resistant if it's possible.. I would be very grateful if someone could tell me this recipe..
    i have this saved - not been tested but looks good

How to Make Your Own Glue

Basic Flour Paste
    Blend whole wheat flour with cold water to make a liquid paste (about the consistency of pancake batter). Beat until the mixture is free of lumps, and then gently heat until boiling, while constantly stirring. Allow to cool before using. Store in an air-tight container. If the paste hardens, soften by mixing in small amounts of warm water as needed.

Wallpaper / Papier Mache Paste
    1 1/2 cups white flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tbsp alum
    1 cup cold water
    2 cups boiling water
    Combine flour and sugar. Slowly add cold water and beat/mix out any lumps. Put mixture in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the boiling water, and stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil. When stiff, remove from heat and add alum. Store in air-tight container. Should keep several weeks. If the paste hardens, soften by mixing in small amounts of warm water as needed.

Basic Waterproof Glue
    6 tbsp water
    2 packets unflavored gelatin (1/2 oz.)
    2 tbsp white vinegar
    2 tsp glycerine
    Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until it is dissolved. Add vinegar and glycerin and stir well. Let the mixture cool slightly and pour into a jar and seal tightly. To Use: This glue is best applied while warm. Apply to surfaces using a brush. Glue will gel after a few days. To re-use, warm by placing the jar in a pan of hot water. Good for binding leather to leather, fabrics to cardboard, paper to paper.

Waterproof Glass Glue
    2 tbsp cold water
    2 packets unflavored gelatin (1/2 oz.)
    3 tbsp skim milk
    Oil of cloves (optional preservative)
    Dissolve gelatin in cold water in a bowl. Bring milk to a boil and then stir into softened gelatin. Add a few drops of oil of cloves if glue is to be kept for more than a day. To Use: While the glue is still warm, brush a thin layer on the objects to be glued. Store in an air-tight container. This glue will also gel when cooled, soften to use by placing the jar in warm water. Good for adhering glass to glass, can be used for adhering glass to other objects when in it's gelled state.

Gum Arabic Glue/Cement
    Use these glues to mend broken china, dishes and crockery.
    Recipe 1: Mix 3 tbsp gum arabic with 1 tbsp glycerin and 1/2 tsp water. Store in air-tight container. Will keep about 1 year. To Use: Apply a thin coat of the glue to each surface and fit the pieces together. Hold firmly until the glue dries - this could take an hour or so. Let the piece dry thoroughly (24 hours) before washing or using.

Recipe 2: Mix just enough water to gum arabic to dissolve it, then add plaster of Paris, enough to produce a stiff paste. You can add pigment to this glue to match the color of your china if desired, or paint the surface when the cement has dried.

Extra Hardening Papier Mache Paste
    1/2 cup wheat flour
    1/4 cup powdered resin glue
    1/2 cup warm water
    1 1/2 cups hot water
    4 drops oil of cinnamon
    Mix flour and resin glue together in a saucepan. Add 1/2 cup warm water and mix to a paste. Add hot water, stirring vigorously to prevent lumps. Cook mixture over a low heat, stirring constantly, until it's thick, and clear. Add oil of cinnamon. Store in tightly covered jar. Will keep for a few days.
    Liquid Cement
    Mix 1 gallon of waterglass with 2 quarts of water. Heat and gradually add 1 pound of shellac, stirring until completely dissolved. Use on cardboard, wood, crocker, glass, etc.

Ok, so here's the question about paper mache. We all know that you mix four and water and you get glue.

When you add a little sugar you get cake batter.........what happened to the glue?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Um,crash,the glue is what makes it stick to your hips
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

So thaaaaaaat's my problem ----- glue.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Mine too
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Mine too
    dunno the answer but when we were kids we used to eat the elmers glue in kindergarden

what is the difference between pine pitch and resin?

Quote Originally Posted by warman87 View Post
    what is the difference between pine pitch and resin?
    In the discussion that we've been having, they are the same thing. The sap, or pitch is heated to the point where it starts to melt. The end product is what is being called pine resin. All three terms - sap, pitch, and resin are used interchangeably.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Michbowguy - I tried your pine cone trick on the fire this past week-end. Seemed to work pretty well. We had a problem with flies, mostly. I had a nice campfire going and dropped a couple of pine cones on the edge and let them smolder. The flies disappeared immediately, which was really cool. We were in a small pine forest so finding cones was pretty easy. I just kept the coals going with pine cones and didn't have a problem with bugs at all. Thanks!!

pitch,
    is made from hardwood coaldust,pine sap,and binding material,,dung,from herbivour , dry drass sinew pieces , sawdust.

resin,
    renderd down and filtered pine sap that has been through some sort of cleaning or filtering process,and end result will be hard-glassy-and brittle.

pine mastic,
    pine sap,sone sort of a thinner like hardwood ash and water pre mix (lye) and a heavy binder material,dry grass,animal hair,long thin pcs of bark shavings all mixed together into a thick tar like black sticky paste.
    used for waterproofing,making primitive torches, flaming arrows etc.
    cool stuff eh?

loves the pines i do!
    jamie

So that's where those flaming arrows have been coming from. Now I know.

hahaha.
    now,now guys.
    tar even in the middle ages was made from boiled down birch sap.
    good stuff.
    jamie

Quote Originally Posted by michbowguy View Post
    pine resin, pine pitch,fish skin glues,fish bladder glues, birch gum glue...what would you like to know??
    michbowguy:
    I know this is an old topic, but I just came across it today. Could you be so kind as to elaborate on how to make the fish skin glue? Thank you!