Thread: Another ????????????

Default Another ????????????

Hi Everyone--Happy Canada Day to all my Canuck pals!
    I arrived home yesterday from a few days away visiting a friend who lives in the bush of northern Ontario completely off grid. What a blast!!! I envy him for his way of life, while at the same time realizing just how much work living the "simple" life can be!!! "Simple" does not necessarily mean "easy", but it is much more satisfying which I'm sure most of you would agree!!!
    Since I am still considered a newbie--would you do me the favour of refreshing my memory as to how many of you guys and gals here are off grid and your experiences? Don't require a novel of course, but just a few thoughts as to how you do it and/or what you've learned.
    Thanks guys (and gals)
    Donna
    Love, Live, Learn, then pass them on.

Donna - the only complication with asking a question of the off-gridders about off-grid living is that....well....they're off-gridand don't get on the forum as much.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

HI Donna,
    I don't live off grid,yet. But am gearing up to some day live that way if I need to.My husband and I have built a small house on land we bought that joins the National Forrest, the land is way back of the road through the woods. We have electric, but are planning to add solar panels some day. We had one well dug and it has an electric motor in it. Last year we decided to hand dig another well. This one is way down on the back of our land at the forrest line. We just put a hand pump on it. Since then we are now digging a hand dug well up close to our cabin, we are down 46 feet but are having problems getting the wet sand out because that is to deep for us to use the water pump to pump the sand out. We plan to else put a deep well hand pump in that one, or we have a well bucket and rope for drawing water from it. We want to be prepared.
    We built our cabin our self. It is not really that big, but we built it to look rustic, like something that would have seen built back in the 40's. It was alot of hard work. I have posted things about this before if you would like to go back and read the post.
    We have bought live traps, for animals in case we need them for food. to be honest, I would have to be really hungry to kill an animal, they are just so cute. We have deer, and wild truckeys, we have been told that there are also wild hogs there but haven't seen one yet. Hope i never do, i hear they can be mean.
    We have dug a small pond and stocked it, and have planted all kinds of fruit trees, blueberries, and blackberries, so we will have food when we do move there some day.We are now building up a spot for a veg. garden, and I have canners and jars, and no how to can my on food because I grew up on a farm, and back then if we didn't rasie, pick and can the food, then we didn't eat. I think knowing all these things will help when we are living there.
    cabingirl
    Last edited by cabingirl; 07-04-2008 at 08:53 PM.