Thread: Preferred Earth Pad

Default Preferred Earth Pad

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to ask! Do any of you DIY your ground pads, or do you have preferred brands? When camping, I usually put a tarp between the tent and the ground, but I can still feel the uneven surface through my sleeping bag. Any suggestions for improving comfort?

You need a sleeping pad. Closed cell foam (ccf) or an inflatable pad. Both have their own pros and cons. Ccf are more durable and usually cheaper but take up more space and usually heavier. Inflatables are typically more comfortable and take up less room and weigh less but prone to leaks. I have both and prefer the inflatable when I hike in. If my car is close by, I take both with the inflatables below the ccf if it is cold. In case the inflatable leaks its air out, the ccf will still have been warmed up by my body instead of having to try and warm it up before feeling comfortable. If it is warm, the inflatable is on top for comfort. With both, I keep a barrier of a tarp or tyvek between the pads and ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Oh, and it won’t matter what kind or brand you use, it will never be as comfortable as your bed at home. I personally use the ccf pad from Walmart, Paarl trail i believe and the Klymit insulated v ‘something’ inflatable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

DIY ground pads can work, but investing in a quality sleeping pad might be a better option for comfort. Brands like Therm-a-Rest, Sea to Summit, and Exped offer great options with excellent insulation and cushioning. As already said above, adding a self-inflating or foam pad on top of your tarp can make a big difference. If you prefer DIY, consider using materials like closed-cell foam or reflective emergency blankets for added insulation and comfort.