Thread: Glock Knife

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Glock Knife

I just bought a Glock Knife after having one of those "why have I not seen this knife for the past 40 years?" moment.

Before there was a Glock Pistol Mr. Glock was already making knives for NATO forces. It was a simple process of adopting the blade from the old 1970s era M16 rifle bayonet, squirting a near indestructible polymer handle onto the tang and saying "good enough".

No kidding, it looks identical to the old M1 Carbine/M14/M16 bayonet blade except for the saw back edge.

According to the research it is steel equal to 1095, just like the KaBar. That puts it part way between a Mora Companion and a KaBar on the usability scale.

It is half inch shorter than a KaBar and 3/8" narrower spine to edge of the blade. It also has the saw back. They call it a "root saw" which can be used to ease the fighting hole digging process. This thing and a Glock Entrenching Tool will get you underground in no time I'm sure.

The whole thing is coated with a thick substance that looks to me like black enamel paint, though I am sure it has a fancy name.

It sharpens up easy enough, and being a field knife I have not put a razor edge on it. This one gets raked through the V shape carbide thingy and called "sharp".

The really neat part of the rig is the sheath! It is made from good tough polymer and injected into the wildest knife holder thermoforming mass production could imagine. It has a blade lock feature as well as a clip on the belt and lock feature, along with a tie down loop and drain hole. I forgot about the knife right after I sharpened it but I have been playing games with the sheath for two days. It's neat.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Ive thought about getting one in the past but decided I really didn’t have a use for it. A couple of military’s in the world use it in their armed forces. I’ve also read it was made to be thrown as well. Throwing would be the only use I’d have really but I don’t do that anymore.

For digging, I have a military issue e-tool and the cold steel shovel or if I wanted to go lighter, a hori hori.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa