Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are MRE any good?

Plus the prices for their MRE's include FREE SHIPPING!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

That's $6.25 a meal. APack's Ready Meals are $5.00 a meal and they are "about" the same thing as MREs. It's the civilian version of their MREs.

http://www.readymeal.com/store/home.php
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    That's $6.25 a meal. APack's Ready Meals are $5.00 a meal and they are "about" the same thing as MREs. It's the civilian version of their MREs.
    A big difference is that APack's MRE's are only good for up to 3 years, Long Life's MRE's are good for over 6 years kept at the same storage conditions as APack's, and up to 10 years if kept @ 60 degrees.

and some of use just like the meatloaf.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't think I'll be storing anything edible for 3 or 6 years. Six months, maybe.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't think I'll be storing anything edible for 3 or 6 years. Six months, maybe.
    Personally I like the mental comfort in knowing that I have my family BOB, guns, ammo, camp axe, a wooden reinforced box with food (MRE's), next to another one that has 6 - 2 1/2 gal jugs of water (that I rotate out every month) and a pallet of dry logs, tent etc. So if something happens I know I can get us to the mountains or hold up for a couple of weeks without outside food or water.

It's just the Boy Scout in me - BE PREPARED

Oh, I have the same kind of stuff. I just rotate my food and water so nothing sits around that long. Being in a bad situation is not a good time to find out they were a little off on just how long stuff will last.

Mountain House Foods or any of the other backpacking foods are good as well and in the same price range.

Something is better than nothing, just be prepared. Because when the handwriting is on the wall that something bad is about to happen, the prices will go through the roof and the stock will disappear. I should have noted besides for rotating the water, I do the same with the MRE's and dehydrated foods when I go hunting, fishing or camping (FIFO). Everything is labeled with a date, and we keep a stock chart.

et. al - I would suggest trying different brands and buy what you know you will eat. Look for the lowest price foods that taste good. I think folks get too hung up on MREs. If you like them and they are a good price then fine. Just keep your options open.