Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are MRE any good?

Default Are MRE any good?

Howdy,

when checking out eBay I found an enormous amount of military-issue Meals ready to eat (MRE). Are they any good? Any stories to tell? What about the self-heating cans - that sounds great for a field day.

Regards!
    *** Walk tall and stand strong! ***

MRE's are good in that the store for a long time, are convenient, don't need to be heated. There's a thread or two on here that goes into some deatails about the pro's and some of the con's. I have a few cases on hand as part of my food/emergency ration supplies.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Regrets! I'm new to the board. Didn't find the related threads. Anyone help me out here?

Thanks, yer a trooper!

Default mre

Quote Originally Posted by steiger589 View Post
    Howdy,

when checking out eBay I found an enormous amount of military-issue Meals ready to eat (MRE). Are they any good? Any stories to tell? What about the self-heating cans - that sounds great for a field day.

Regards!
    yes mre are great i ate them for almost three months in afghanistan we would get them off the yanks.

While they do have a long shelf life, you might want to make certain those being sold are not at the end of it. Ask the seller for date packed/inspection dates/menu types if that information is not already listed. Here's a web site that will help you understand the date system and which color packaging to look for.

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-date-codes.html

By the way, the selling of genuine MREs is illegal although I doubt the MRE police (yea, they exist. They're called The Office of Operational Rations Security) will be knocking down your door. MREs, after all, are technically the property of the U.S. Government.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

yup and rick is the thought police( scary) any who there are allot better ways and less expensive ways and even better tasting ways to go than mre's
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Expiration dates are extremely important as Rick stated. One thing that I have found is that somebody selling surplus military MRE's are usually selling OOOOOOLD ones. Best bet IMO is to get the commercially available ones from a supplier that you trust.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just find out if the commercial ones have a "Flameless Ration Heater" (FRH). Many don't come with one or you have to buy them separately.

I'm with WE. There are better, more economical ways to carry food.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

supposedly the distributer of the heat pack mre's will not ship them to canada thats when i discovered walton feeds about a year ago, way better imho
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Cool A tip!

While it's true that "SELLING" genuine Govt. MRE's is illeagal, you might do what I did & befriend your local National Guard Supply Sargent who then just might turn loose of a couple cases for you! That way he's not breaking the law...I guess.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-11-2008 at 08:12 AM. Reason: oops
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

My dads in the Navy and he once sent me a MRE and it came with powdered milk drink, cookies, crackers, beef stew, and a instant cooking device. They are pretty good, I think they're better than canned food because thier lightweight and make good for camping or hiking trips.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

i think that mres are the best they are convenient and easy to make

So are any of the hundreds of other freeze dried and dehydrated foods. Add hot water, wait a few minutes and instant dinner.

when the we were younger in a apartment that had its power off nearly every day.
    MREs were the main stay. Hot or cold they held up in the heat of the summer without any after taste. My hubby who is stomach sensitive had no problem with them just apply a little tobasco. so glad to see they are becoming availible again.i will be looking at Ebay
    for a box again thanks for the tip.

Prizm63 - be very careful with MRE's that you purchase from ebay. I'm sure there are some good deals to be had, but there have also been cases of MRE's that have long ago seen their "good" days.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Here are a couple of places that I have purchased MRE’s and have been very happy with what I received.

http://www.longlifefood.com/

http://www.nitro-pak.com/index.php?o...d3bf93b35ab1d3
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

And much of what sells on eBay as MREs are not. Look for wording that says, "Just like", "Similar to", etc. tucked away in the verbiage. The title may say MRE but the wording may say something different. If there is any doubt, contact the seller and see my earlier post above about dates.

longlifefood is selling these items to the government.
    Welcome to our GSA (General Services Administration) Product Page.
    Our GSA contracted products are:
    (1) MRE Full Meals
    (2) MRE Full Meals with Heater Pouches
    (3) Emergency Water Pouches
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."