Thread: Another solo overnighter

Default Another solo overnighter

Did a solo overnighter on Saturday night. I got there later than I wanted and so I took the first suitable spot I came across. I used a tarp, Tyrek sheet for a ground cloth, two sleeping pads, a canvas drop cloth as a blanket, and an alpaca wool poncho. The temps got down to about 40 that night. The next morning while I was making breakfast, I happened to notice yellow jackets flying around. Took a look and right behind my tarp was an underground nest! Luckily, I didn’t get stung. I cooked my usual caveman steak and also made a fruit cobbler. The top of the cobbler got a little burnt but it was fine. There’s trout in the creek but I didn’t fish any. Every time I try to fish, the only thing I catch is a sunburn. I pictured my two most used tools. The sak for cutting bank line, and the axe for a fire poke and tongs.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    The nest is between the tree and the rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Looks like a nice place to camp.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's always nice to get away. Nice pics.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Looks like you found a little oasis. Note to self, check for underground nests before setting camp
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Please tell me more about your cobbler? method of cooking, recipe, stuff like that. I am a big fan of the canteen cup but I have never attempted a cobbler in one

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Please tell me more about your cobbler? method of cooking, recipe, stuff like that. I am a big fan of the canteen cup but I have never attempted a cobbler in one
    So I’m not a good cook and didn’t measure anything, but I just opened up some packs of fruit, dumped in some yellow cake mix, and placed a couple plats of butter on top. To cook, I balanced it on top of two rocks with some coals underneath to get the juices flow up through the batter. And I had foil covering the top to place coals on. Every so often I would turn the cup and place new coals on top. After several minutes I peek for done-ness.

~Rocky Balboa

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    So I’m not a good cook and didn’t measure anything, but I just opened up some packs of fruit, dumped in some yellow cake mix, and placed a couple plats of butter on top. To cook, I balanced it on top of two rocks with some coals underneath to get the juices flow up through the batter. And I had foil covering the top to place coals on. Every so often I would turn the cup and place new coals on top. After several minutes I peek for done-ness.

Thank you. I was very curious about if and how you covered it. I have used aluminum foil before too. Thank you for taking the time to respond! Merry Christmas!

Thank you. I was very curious about if and how you covered it. I have used aluminum foil before too. Thank you for taking the time to respond! Merry Christmas!
    It’s just like making one in a Dutch oven, just on a smaller scale. This one would’ve been plenty for two people. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

~Rocky Balboa