Thread: Foxy lady

Default Foxy lady

I went out to the back yard today to try a new bullet I got. Was hearing some steps and behold, I spotted this foxy lady. First time I’ve seen a grey fox. Usually, it’s just the red ones.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

P.S. Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman in .357 mag is a powerful round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Beautiful pic! I carried that same cartridge when I hiked Yellowstone and Idaho. I carried bear spray as well but that was my cartridge of choice. I agree, it is a powerful cartridge.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Where does that heavy slug hit in relation to the standard loadings? I have one .357 with fixed sights and I am prone to taking long shots, 50-100 yards, with .357 on occasion.

In my area it is the red foxes that are rare. The gray ones are scarce too with all the coyotes we have around here.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Here are some ballistic charts for you Krat.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We have a grey fox that lives under my wood pile. I toss squirrels and fish heads over by the entrance and she cleans them up. When the wild persimmons start falling she brings her kits in the yard to eat them. When she sees me out by the shop she "barks" at me (if you want to call it that)... Fun to watch.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Here are some ballistic charts for you Krat.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=100
    Thanks Crash, most of the time these heavy bullets strike a bit high due to the recoil affecting the gun before the bullet leaves the barrel. Inversely, the light 110-125 grain bullets often strike low.

At the prices for those cartridges you don't want to waste too many of them experimenting!

Those were specific purpose cartridges for me. I don't own anything larger than .357 in a handgun (I don't want anything bigger) so, after much research, that was the round of choice for bear. I never met one and they are safely tucked away in inventory. And, yes, they were pricey but less than a new weapon.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Those were specific purpose cartridges for me. I don't own anything larger than .357 in a handgun (I don't want anything bigger) so, after much research, that was the round of choice for bear. I never met one and they are safely tucked away in inventory. And, yes, they were pricey but less than a new weapon.
    Yep. Same reason I got mine. Though by the time you put 100 BB rounds through one, you could afford the hi-point 10mm and have a few more rounds available. Is 6-8 rounds to 10+1 worth it and still having an expensive ammo issue? For me, it would just be another caliber to play with, which I don’t need.
    ~Rocky Balboa

A 10mm HiPoint requires its own dedicated trailer hitch and a set of wheels! The mass and recoil spring weight it takes for a blow back 10mm creates an adventure in itself.

I would think that you would be better off using the heavy loads in the .357, which allows you familiarity practice with the cheaper .38 target loads. The great endearing quality of the .357 is its versatility. It is truly one gun that will cover all the bases.

I have been reloading .357 since Nixon was President, alongside .38spl, and rather than buy such high priced fodder I would probably just make some "critical use reloads". That is another good quality of the caliber, it is easy to reload.

Back in the '70s I found a recipe for a .357 hunting load in one of the old journals posted by Skeeter Skelton or Ross Sifred or someone of world renown. It was a 150gn half jacket hollow point sitting on top of a hefty dose of 2400 powder and if memory serves me it came out of the barrel at a ripping 1400fps. I did "scientific" testing of that load, shooting a single round into a stack of 5 one gallon milk jugs filled with water from 50 feet. It turned the first two jugs inside out, punched a .75 ragged hole through the other three and smeared itself into the bark of the tree stump I was using as a backstop. That was a "holy crap!" moment I am sure, but it being 50 years ago I don't actually remember.

I do know that I have never felt "under-gunned" when carrying a 357 even with less potent loads than that one.

At one time I had a 200gn mold for casting a flat point round nose slug in .357. It was to duplicate the British 38/200 revolver load and I often boosted it up a little for use in my .38 and .357 guns. I used it so rarely, usually to finish off deer, that I traded it off to Hunter63 10 or so years back, so I suppose one of his nephews has it now.

Apparently I am the "black sheep" of the forum since I do own handguns larger than .357 and any need for "big game protection" would fall to one of those devices.

I value all ten fingers the good Lord gave me and setting off the powder in anything larger than .357 is akin to having my hand smashed with a hammer. I just do not enjoy the experience. I'm afraid if I were to pull the trigger on a .44 Magnum, .475 Linebaugh, 454 Casull or the like and the poor bear would be rendering first aid to me while I cry apologies to it. I don't like them, they are no fun to shoot so I don't own them. Now, if I could affix one on some crew mounted platform with tracks, that might be a different story.

Friend of mine has a PF9. I would rather shoot 100 rounds from my single action .44 mag than one mag from his KelTec!

That thing hurts me!

I have one of those. It was my EDC for a while. I didn't mind it. But small frames can be hard on the hands too even in small calibers. I carry a Sig 365 now. 9s and 38s seem to be my favorites. I like 45, it's just a bit heavy to carry. The nice part for us is we can carry open or concealed so you can accommodate a much wider range in the woods.

I can shoot my 44 mag Ruger Super Red Hawk all day long. A friend asked if I wanted to shoot his new gun. I loaded one round in the lightweight revolver. He said I should load five. Told him one was enough. One was enough. Hit the bullseye, but shooting a 500 nitro from a lightweight revolver was not my idea of a good time.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Never handled the pf9 but I have the lc9 and it’s very similar in size. Adding the extended magazine on it really helps the grip. Still not very accurate with it. I carry my bodyguard 380 a lot more and am actually more accurate with it even though it kicks more and is smaller. I keep 90 grain Lehigh defense extreme penetrator in it, though I should probably run them and get the Underwood now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Rocky Balboa

Along with a contingency of 357/38/9mm handguns, I have a S&W Mod 58 41 mag. It is not much more unpleasant than a full pill 357. I have a S&W Mod 29 44 mag (The most powerful handgun in the world at the time) and it rarely gets shot. I had a Ruger Vaquero in 44 Mag, I gave it to my nephew. It was decidedly unpleasant to shoot. Nephew says it doesn't bother him, but he's.... well never mind.... I have a S&W 696 in 44 Spl. Not to bad... Several Uberti Cattlemen in 45 Colt and a number of 1911s in 45 ACP... I probably have more handguns bigger than 357 than I do 357s... Oh, I left out the 44-40s and the BP stuff.

But what I shoot the most is a Ruger 22/45 or a Colt Woodsman 22 lr....

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 07-09-2023 at 11:11 PM.