Thread: “Hatchet” by Gary Paulson series

Default “Hatchet” by Gary Paulson series

When I was a child, we read “Hatchet” by Gary Paulson back in 5th grade. At the time, I knew there was a sequel call “The River.” I read it along the same time as I was reading “Hatchet.” Today, we were in Barnes and Noble and I spied “Hatchet.” I got to looking and there is a series of books featuring the protagonist, all dealing with the wilderness (the whole series was there, minus “The River”). I picked up a copy of “Hatchet” and “Brian’s Winter.” “Brian’s Winter” is based along the idea as of the protagonist was never rescued at the end of “Hatchet” and must survive through the winter.

The series comprises of:
    Hatchet
    The River
    Brian’s Winter
    Brian’s Return
    Brian’s Hunt

I’m hoping that my boys will take an interest in the series and we can all read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

5th grade. Hokey smokes. I'm not even certain I went to 5th grade. I can't remember that far back. I've never heard of the series. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've never heard of it either. Thanks for the heads up.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

The books are meant for readers in around the 4, 5, and 6th grades. We watched “A cry in the wild” which is the movie version and my boys loved it. It can be found on youtube. My middle child asked if “The River” was a movie too so he could watch it. My oldest said he wants to watch the movie every night. I told them we can do better, we have the books and the books are always better than the movies.

Besides, these books, the only other children’s books dealing with outdoor survival I know of is “My Side of the Mountain.” I’d love to find more for them to read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

4,5 and 6. If they have pictures that's perfect for me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post

Besides, these books, the only other children’s books dealing with outdoor survival I know of is “My Side of the Mountain.” I’d love to find more for them to read.

k
    Jack London stuff is great for that age. "To build a Fire" is pretty amazing.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.