Thread: Any thoughts on what this mushroom is?

Default Any thoughts on what this mushroom is?

Found some morels and oysters here in Illinois, but cant figure this one out by googling. Was growing by itself on a log. Based on what you folks say I'm hoping my own research might be more fruitful!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm not a mushroom guy. Hopefully somebody comes along that is.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I always figured that until I knew what NOT to touch, I don't handle any of them....

Alan

would be helpful to positively identify it if I got new your state, and where specifically you got it from, and if it was growing on something in particular.

At 1st glance it look like a Pluteus Cervinus, also known as Pluteus Atricapillus and also called Deer Mushroom, Deer Shield Mushroom, or Fawn Mushroom.

BUT

when it comes to mushrooms, it is the one thing I will never forage. Even the slightest feature could mean it is a different species, and although Deer Mushrooms are edible, others are extremely poisonous.

edit: that information would help, but I do not have the authority to 100% positively identify mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Eson View Post
    Found some morels and oysters here in Illinois, but cant figure this one out by googling. Was growing by itself on a log. Based on what you folks say I'm hoping my own research might be more fruitful!
    I forgot to quote you so that you got notification, scroll up Deer mushroom.