Thread: How to stop a Nose bleed in under a minute

Default How to stop a Nose bleed in under a minute

I had a surgery years ago that left me with a scab in my sinus that just has never healed properly and every now and then it gets dislodged, and I get a nose bleed. There is a nose bleed stopper strip, kind of looks like a flat ladies tampon vacuum sealed in a mylar looking wrapper. Sadly, no where I have been has these in stock, but only for shipping or pre-ordering.

Having a nose bleed is not something that one can wait for a couple of days to stop it, so I tested over the years other means to stop it.

The top two methods both work in under a minute to stop the bleeding. Vaseline, or ChapStick being applied directly to where it is bleeding from. It forms a barrier, just like Liquid Skin Band-Aid does for external lacerations.

Just apply an amount the size of a quarter to a tissue and rub inside nostril over the area that is bleeding. Usually when my nose bleeds, it can go one for 30 minutes to an hour, but with these 2 methods, usually in under 30 seconds (not even a minute) my nose stops bleeding.

Warning with ChapStick: It is important to extend the ChapStick out of the tube, break it at bottom, and smear the bottom portion of the ChapStick on the tissue or handkerchief so that bacteria from the tip of the ChapStick that has been used on your lips, does not get applied to an open wound in your nose.

Why not visit an ENT doc. I'm sure he/she can put a stop to the nosebleeds. There are so many causes. Wintertime nose bleeds are usually attributed to dry air. That is the single most common cause. You might try a humidifier.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Why not visit an ENT doc. I'm sure he/she can put a stop to the nosebleeds. There are so many causes. Wintertime nose bleeds are usually attributed to dry air. That is the single most common cause. You might try a humidifier.
    It was the ENT Surgeon that cause the issue in the 1st place lol. Actually in all honesty, when my spouse left me 2 years ago, the nosebleeds practically stopped completely. So it was my higher blood pressure that was the trigger, and the surgeon's screwd up procedure that allowed the blood to burst like a volcano to release pressure.

I should note, if the cause of a nosebleed is deep in the sinus, this method will not work, and could actually cause the blood to build up in sinus which is a no no

That's some quick thinking with the Vaseline and ChapStick! Sorry to hear you've had to deal with that issue, but it's cool you've found a workaround. Just wondering, have you thought about what you'd do if a nosebleed started while you were out in the wilderness with no supplies on hand? Got any back-to-nature tips or tricks? Always good to know more survival hacks.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 10-15-2023 at 01:39 PM. Reason: removed link

Tried your Vaseline on the source of the bleeding technique, but he didn't like it much. Seriously .......

A long time ago, an old Army SF medic told me that you pinch off the nose with one hand and tilt your head back as far as you can.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880