Thread: A new job, no joke

Default A new job, no joke

In September of 2021 I was kinda forced to retire from my job as a dental tech. 40 years hunched over at a bench grinding 8 to 10 hours a day had taking it's toll and I got to the point where I could not go for more 30-45 mins. without intense pain in my arms and especially my neck. Ended up having 3 bulging disk, arthritis, stenosis and extreme facet wear in my neck. Docs wanted to do fusions but I said no. If I had the fusions and returned to my previous job it would be just a matter of time before I would be back to have the adjoining disk fused. Too old for that so I "retired''.

I took off the whole of 2022 and self rehabed doing stretching and using a neck decompressing device. I believe it has been fairly successful as I don't have constant pain and can do light repetitive work like running the weedeater as long I stop when I start to get burning in my arms. But sitting at home was getting pretty boring. So I found a part time job.

Today was my first day working at Monte Sano State Park. I am working in the campground office/store 3 days a week running cash register and learning the campground and cabin reservation system. We have 82 improved sites, 20 primitive sites and 14 cabins that were built in the 1930s by the CCC. Also have an event lodge, several pavilions, fresbee golf course, observatory and several hiking and mountain biking trails. I think I am going to like it as it is a completely different vibe than working in the meatgrinder of a high production dental lab. Its only a 9 month deal right now (March through November) but if it works out I could come back next year full time with full state employee benefits. And it's only 3.5 miles up the mountain from the house so no rush hour traffic to fight.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Sounds like one of those “Bird nest in the ground” things. A little inside work, a little outside work, benefits, close to home, …. Sounds great!

Alan

Sounds great. Good luck.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sounds like a winner. I’ve applied in the past to work part time at state parks in hopes to get my foot in the door to no avail. Glad it’s working out for you.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Congratulations.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

There are JOBS and then there are jobs. Some can be a real joy. I wish you luck in turning it into a full time job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Monte Santo! Cool site! Do you get any discounts?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Ranger X: I would just go and talk to as many staff as possible and let them get to know you. 120 people applied for the position I got and they said I was the only one who came and talked with them before they started calling people in for interviews.

Wolf: none that I know of now other than free admission.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

Don't let any of thos ticket people talk you into anything sketchy.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Congratulations and best of luck!!