Thread: Some recent work

Default Some recent work

Well I made my 1st straight razor out of ball bearing steel (52100) its a 7/8 straight razor made from .26 inch thick 52100 carbon steel. I got up enough nerve to shave with it, it worked, I do not have anything to compare with so not sure how well it worked. Handle is burlap micarta.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

this one is 9.5 inches, blade is cpm s35vn stainless steel these are what I guess I would call belt finished knives, very little hand sanding as evident by the sanding lines.

I have recently made several of these little knives in stainless, 52100 and Alabama Damascus, for some reason people love these mostly hunters. small and easy to carry and control and does the job. This one was etched in instant coffee for a night. gives it some extra black contrast on the blade.

this one is also 9.5 ish s35v stainless with ironwood handle it has a belt finish, on both these the only hand sanding was a quick 300g rub on blade to get that one way line look.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

s.pottscustomknives@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/s.pottscustomknives
    http://s1248.beta.photobucket.com/us...llss7/library/

Yumpin Yimminy. Those are some pretty sharps!!!! That first one made my face hurt just looking at it. I'd hate to think what I'd look like after I used a straight razor. Still, you did a nice job. I like the britches on those rascals as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Nice work. I love the variety of materials.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

thanks for the kind words, I also do full forged knives not a lot because I get to busy. But really I love to make them moving steel with fire and hammer seems well more fulfilling. here are a couple of forged knives.

this one is what I call fully forged, forged to shape, forged primary bevel, just cleaned up on belt sander. The unusually over sized guard is forged to shape mild steel, handle is black walnut. This one is 80crv2

This one forged to shape bevels are completely flat ground on grinder also 80crv2, this one will be my field test knife for 80crv2, just starting to play with it, it is super easy to work, and seems to be a really good carbon forging steel. this knife will get ran through the mill and I will soon know for sure. sorry don't have a better pic of it.
    Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellers they are established.

Nice work. The giant guard one is like a mini cutlass for canoe pirates.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Nice work. The giant guard one is like a mini cutlass for canoe pirates.
    I know... I have no idea what I was thinking, just had a little piece, started hammering on it and that's what came out...lol. It sits on the shelf of shame.

It wasn't an insult at all. be a great EDC for a flamboyant person, like a biker.

I actually like that one. Guards are on a knife for a reason. It's bold and makes a statement. It seems to fit that knife just fine to my eye. Very nice!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My favorite one is the 4th knife going (not 4th photo) down, just my style...

I like both in post #4.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.