Thread: It’s a BAB

Default It’s a BAB

D90CDFB7-B555-4FC4-8611-2263B8BD68D3.jpg

The wife has been out of town and I ran out of bread. Soooo, I thought I’d make my own. Now I have a 5 pound biscuit and a kitchen to clean.

Same scenario with me once. I made some starter and baked a loaf. It was perfect! I ate it all. I got another loaf going and baked it so it would be hot out of the oven when she got home. If I'd had a 1000 of them I could have put a rock veneer on the house. I've tried several other times with no success.

about 25 years ago we had one of those bread makers that you toss everything into and turn it on... it worked great for about 6-7 years and then one day it didn't. I bought another one and it never worked right. I used to love to make cinnamon/raisin bread in it.

Alan

I used to love to make bread when I had my wife and my kiddos were little. Not so much now. I had a fool proof recipe (I made it so that proves it). It just takes a lot of time but boy there is nothing like a hot piece of home made bread and butter. Mmmm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have become a master at this recipe. https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/no-knead-bread/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My big biscuit didn’t go to waste. I gave it to the fish.
    Crash, I saved the link and will try again one day.
    The bread pictures reel me in. Then I make it and it doesn’t look anything like the picture.

Both baking mix and flat bread recipes takes a lot of the chaos out of baking bread. Jiffy Mix is also good for those that like a sweet cornbread. You can mix stuff in the batter with impunity to get things like hush puppies, fritters, Mexican cornbread, crackling cornbread, cornbread muffins...am I begining to sound like Bubba Blue?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Just remember that yeast is a living thing. If the water is too hot or too cold it effects the yeast. I have had good luck with water that is warm to the touch. I doubt grandma used a thermometer and I don't either. I just make certain the water isn't too warm.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I smoked a ham yesterday and this morning cooked some canned biscuits. Dang that was tasty!