Thread: "Bushcraft/Fieldcraft/survival" belt kits.

Default "Bushcraft/Fieldcraft/survival" belt kits.

Recently, after seeing some videos, I decided to set up an outdoor belt kit. I figured that since I carried a belt kit with suspenders in the Infantry, that it would also be handy for outdoor adventures.

First off, I'd like to say my findings will not be everyone's findings, and secondly, that what I like and do may not be what's good for you where you are. This is just my observations based on my version of this particular technique.

005.jpg006.jpg

From left to right, this kit is comprised of- Spec Ops multi use molle pouch. 12" bladed modified machete. Kelty Boulder fanny pack with stainless bottle and a Holster for my Security Six .357.

All this is attached to USGI pistol belt and suspenders with my old 1994 Eagle Industries pistol belt pad. The Kelty pouch was useless with it's flimsy webbing "belt" so I cut off the belt and riveted the pouch to the USGI belt through the holes in the belt. It's very stout. It moved a great deal less when traveling than it did before being added to a stiffer belt.

The kit has all the normal "survival kit" gear. L-R-Auger mortise and tenon tool (more on that in another post after more experience), short machete, fire starters on waxed cotton, cord managers, paracord, two mylar blankets, a first aid kit bag. duct tape, Bulgarian(?) canteen cup, little survival kit filled with the stuff people put in little tiny kits, fire kit is waterproof tin, water bottle, pistola and a reload.
    006 (2).jpg

The harness was very comfortable, at 12-15 lbs, and you could carry it all day.
    The Specops molle pouch is a great bit of kit and was on here as a foraging bag.
    The machete, which I modded recently, works as they do.
    The kelty pouch is a quality pouch and a great size for most of what you'd need on a dayer or accidental 2 dayer. It's biggest drawback was the flimsy belt and the fact I lack the gluteous maximus to wear a fanny pack.
    My holster works great because the maker is a genius and very handsome. Rides well, didn't lose gun.

So off I went, without a camera. My memory isn't great.

I'm hiking along with my trusty hound Ungrim the Red, AKA The Begger King, and a couple friends.280323109_701535447837664_4190462492792548348_n.jpg

We get to a dilapidated old cabin that my friend owns and I go about building a fire. Well, you have to take the belt pack off to access it. I'm starting to see the flaw in the system right away. I build the fire, we make some taters and ribeyes, and all this is done with the rig hanging from the tree exactly as if it was a backpack.

Did it work? Yes. Was it comfortable? Yes.

Was it better than a backpack? Not for me. It lacked flexibility in load carrying and the sizes of the pouches restricted where i could put things. Having more things handy on your belt is great for the Infantry, but, for me, it didn't do anything a small pack wouldn't, and with more flexability.

I just do not see when I'd need to grab anything other than the handgun in a hurry in the woods.
    Last edited by Winter; 01-31-2023 at 06:49 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

I like that machete pouch. Simple and straight forward. Very nice. I can't tell if your cordage is in a figure eight or not. If it isn't, here's a pretty good tutorial. You can skip to 3:30 if you want. Nice post.

Why Figure 8 Cord Wrap - How To Make a Jig at Home - In Field - YouTube

You can use you thumb and little finger for small amounts of cordage.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, It is a figure 8 using that same technique.

On the machete pouch, I have inch markings on it for fish and game harvesting regulations. I need to hammer them in instead of just being marked with a marker.
    Last edited by Winter; 01-31-2023 at 07:29 PM.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Oh, I see that now that you pointed it out. Smart. I do like it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, I see that now that you pointed it out. Smart. I do like it.
    I have 4 more machete's lying around, we can work something out if you want.

I have many a sharp including several machetes but thanks.

I like it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I like it.
    I liked it too. Then I had to take it off to use it. LOL May be good in your jungle where the weather is more, err, stable as far as temperature goes. I need flexibility of volume here.

I have used (and liked) an ALICE rig. I liked it better than just the belt, as the "suspenders" made it more stable. But as you say, works well in warmer climates without the changing of bulky outer wear.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am there with Crash on this one, I prefer the ALICE rigs. I have 4 different ALICE rig setups, that vary in storage capacity & weight. All of them have Canteens, & Ammo bags (pouch sizes & number of pockets vary per rig) that I use for my camping gear, and a few have singular ammo pouches on the shoulder harness portion.

I find that having the rig with shoulder harness just aids my back lugging this gear around. Also, handy having all those pouch combinations, so I can forgo using a rucksack for short adventures.

All of these I got at Army Surplus stores. I also have a tactical Vest that is loaded with pockets.

So, my rigs are typically the following: ENO Hammock 400lb. capacity, paracord, carabiners, SAK Swiss Champ, Fixed blade drop point knife, Fire Kit (Ferro rod, Magnesium fire starter, Stormproof matches, Matchless lighter), Compass, Whistle, compact "Hockey Puck" camp towel, metal GI Canteen w/(cup, cup lid, canteen stove, canteen bag with MOLLE), Hand chainsaw, commando saw, Headlamp, flashlight, 2 Mylar Solar blankets, & a LifeStraw.
    Last edited by Michael aka Mac; 02-12-2023 at 12:46 PM. Reason: typo

I can not tell you how many LC1 Butt Packs I have seen with a slit cut in the top so you could access the contents without having to take your canteen belt off and open the flap. I still have and occasionally use that rig. a 1970's issue canteen belt with metal fittings, a butt pack and suspenders, two opposing metal canteens w/cups, two "M-14" Mag pouches and a belt knife on my left-hand side suspender. It works well for day hikes and short field trips.I can and have carried all I need for a three day trip in the woods with that rig and a medium LC1 pack. That did include 120 rounds and 6 mags for my M1A. (About 99 pounds of mags and ammo) Personally I still prefer Alice gear to the current issue stuff, with the exception of the new sleeping bag system. It is amazing, in my humble opinion.