Thread: Christmas Storm

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Christmas Storm

Right now it is 7:45 eastern time and I am on the rain side of a storm front and Rick is on the snow side.

It is 44 degrees F(7c) at the moment and by morning it is supposed to be -7F (-15c) with 50 mph (80kph) winds and a wind chill of -30F which is close to where the two systems meet. 4-6 inches of snow expected. That is not really an issue, it's the brutal temps that are concerning.

At these temps boiling water will freeze when thrown into the air. Frostbite with exposure is a certainty and being stuck on the highway is life threatening, for any of you not acquainted with these situations.

Now we get to see how good we did getting winterized!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I sent a text to my kids at 6:45 and it was 19 then. We touched 40 today then the front passed through. A couple of years ago I made winter bags for my kids and grandkids so they would have the necessities with them if they got caught out in bad weather. Everyone needs to remember if you lose water in this storm you still have 40-50 gallons in your hot water heater. Just remember to turn off the power or the gas if you draw the water out of your water heater. You don't want to burn it up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just south of crash and 50 degrees already and sunny.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

What?! Why that's...that's braggin' is what that is. A balmy 28 here which is a LOT warmer than what it has been.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well, I really have it easy when we are talking about cold.
    A "rough and strong winter" here is when some small ponds freeze and we got some really ligth snow - just enough to see it, not enough to form a snowball.
    Of course, it's different at great heigths. There we sometimes need salt and a shovel. But never once in my life I needed to really worry about frostbite when I'm using proper clothes.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Woke up to 80 this morning... Front blew in. No rain... Mid to low 60s the rest of the week... No rain.... We could use some rain... I guess I'll have to wash my truck...

Alan

It's raining. We actually saw the sun yesterday for a bit. I think it was the sun. It's been so long since we've seen it, I'm not sure what it looks like anymore. I'm sure Kyrat is going to get some of this too.

Huh, I just shoveled in 8 to 10 inches of snow. Someone had already got the walkway. I'm gonna have to find that'en and tell them......thanks.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Kyrat, that's why people need to know their limits. The kind of weather that comes through here occasionally in the winter would kill a lot of people if they were stranded in it. I'm a pedestrian and hiker and, given adequate clothing, hydration, and a milk shake, I'm fine with it. People are built differently, that's what makes them individuals. But if I have to pick up some groceries in the summer and collapse in the heat under a 40 pound backpack full of groceries, I hope there's a summertime person around to get me to shade or home. If I see someone with a broken down car in the middle of a blizzard, we'll get through it together.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    It's raining. We actually saw the sun yesterday for a bit. I think it was the sun. It's been so long since we've seen it, I'm not sure what it looks like anymore. I'm sure Kyrat is going to get some of this too.
    Generally I get what you get but about 3 hours latter! I am actually about 40 miles south of you but 100 miles west.

Our weather has been so chaotic that the computer can not keep up with what is going on. The computer weather and reality are often not aligned.

60 and sunshine today, 35 for a high tomorrow with snow.

I survived the December freeze and that was enough for me to last the year.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That's something that makes travel in the US so interesting. The country is do huge, it's like traveling over different countries.

Our big freeze is in February and the snow might stay around until May. Usually, April is the last snows.