Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you make these

Thumbs up

This is one of the stone arrowheads I've made. I keep it hanging around my neck, I have it set up and ready to lash to a shaft. Once it is tied on I would seal it with a little pine pitch and deer dung glue. I keep a couple extra in my waist pouch.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Thats sweet. How do you make "pine pitch" I won't bother with deer s*** glue.

Lightbulb

You collect the pitch from from pine trees. Boil it in water until it floats on top of the water and gets soft. Then you take a stick and collect all the softened pitch on it (like the end of a Q-tip.) When you heat the pitch to use, you have to mix the deer dung with to make the glue set up properly.
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Native Dude said: "I have used a sling shot to shoot rabbits and squirrels with some willow arrows"

I say: Bullcrap!

Blog Entries

Don't use water for pine pitch, I just put it in this little pan and heat, and heat, and heat. It gets nasty, sticky, and black. Then I just roll it onto a broken arrow shaft and let dry.

I don't use no deer crap.

Question

Well MedicineWolf, it is true. I have been bow hunting since 8 years of age. I ONLY bow hunt. I shoot instinctively (no sights on my bow.) I have shot geese, pheasant, ptarmagin, ruffed grouse, squirrels, rabbits, raccoon, possum, russian boar, javelina, deer, elk, bear, moose, caribou, mulies, black tail, bison, and many other animals. Using my hickory sling shot, with willow arrow shafts, obsidian arrow heads, and crow feather fletching, all bound with whitetail sinew, I have shot quite a few rabbits and squirrels in survival situations. I would never try this method on any game larger than a snowshoe hare, but it is quite effective on small animals!

You don't even know me, yet you call me a liar?! That's Bullcrap!!

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineWolf View Post
    Native Dude said: "I have used a sling shot to shoot rabbits and squirrels with some willow arrows"

I say: Bullcrap!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Don't use water for pine pitch, I just put it in this little pan and heat, and heat, and heat. It gets nasty, sticky, and black. Then I just roll it onto a broken arrow shaft and let dry.

I don't use no deer crap.
    If you boil it in water, it softens faster and does not turn black. It turns a brownish color (like caramel.) It is the way I learned many years ago and it has always worked. Use deer dung, don't use deer dung. . .that's your choice.

I was asked how to make it and I posted the way I have always made and used it. The methods that I use and teach are the Native methods I was taught many years ago.

Default hey nativedude

where did you hunt caribou?
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Where you from Nativedude, not picking just asking bro.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Default O.K.

I too hunt only with longbow, and have taken many game animals, elk, moose, deer, and plenty of small game, but a slingshot that shoots arrows is hard for me to believe. The accuracy would be as limited as the distance, I was taught by my family (Nothern Cheyenne) and my tribe on the res. to hunt, fish, tan skins, trap, forage, and survive off the land as well as the U.S. Army Ranger school, but never in my forty years on this planet have I heard of a native (or anyone) using a slingshot with arrows. Maybe I'm not accustomed to your tribe as I assume you are Native American by your name.
    It was not my intention to offend you, sorry if I did, but I find that really hard to believe so as my good friend Beowulf65 says... it is only opinion take it or leave it.
    Last edited by MedicineWolf; 11-16-2007 at 03:30 PM.

Lightbulb

I have taken Caribou in Canada and Alaska (where I live.)

A slingshot w/arrows works at a range up to 50'. It is quite effective. When I (survival) hunt, I stalk and still hunt. Have done it that way all my life. The slingshot is not a native method, it is a method I tried on my own. I was curious to see if it would work and it did.

I am 1/8th Lakota (on my father's side.) I have studied the native way of life for many years, even before I found out about my heritage. Ever since I was a little boy I have hated what the white man has done to this country and the Native peoples of this land.

I have spent time in many countries, and just about every one I have been to, the people are very "tribal" by nature. . .not in the U.S. though. It is every man for himself.
    Last edited by Nativedude; 11-17-2007 at 06:19 PM.

Hate now there is a dangerious survival tool, everyman for hiself is just live and let live , let people make their mistakes so hopefully they wil learn from them and not blame the tribe just because it is not their own tribal means sticking together when some do it it is racisim and when others do it it is tribal, for a person to say I am responciable is good enough for me.
    I would take the best avaliable wood and form a bow with a knife napped or steel make cordage and then arrows would use stone or bone for arrow heads and cane or reds for shaft wouldn't sweat fletchings but would use feather if avaliable or strong leaves.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Blog Entries

I remember when I was 8 years old, up in the Pennsy mountains, I had a wrist rocket and an old arrow that I found. Spent two day shooting that arrow. Never thought of using it to kill rabbits, never really though of using a slingshot to kill anything. I just used an old red fiberglass Fred Bear bow.

Traded that little old bow to my uncle for a 40lb lemonwood longbow. Killed many a rabbit with that bow.

To me, slingshots are just toys. Yes, they can hurt you and maybe, just maybe take a squirrel or rabbit, but I'll stick with the bow and arrow.

This is just my opinion, take it or leave it.

I have spent time in many countries, and just about every one I have been to, the people are very "tribal" by nature. . .not in the U.S. though. It is every man for himself.
    I disagree. How do you explain the popularity of subdivisions. The U.S. has a very large "group ideology," sometimes it's too large.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    I disagree. How do you explain the popularity of subdivisions. The U.S. has a very large "group ideology," sometimes it's too large.
    Subdivision are a group of houses that random people from all different areas move in to. Never have I seen a family, other than the Kennedy family that occupies an entire block of houses.

Native tribes of the U.S. (Native Americans), Australia (Aborigines), for example lives in tribes (there family only) units.

Subdivisions are the Europeans brain-child. Designed and allocated to force random people to live together.

In most tribal settings you do not have stealing, vandalism, etc., except from those outside of the tribe. In subdivisions you don't know your neighbor and loyalty, well that is very low on the list.

Europeans (white man,) are not tribal by nature. Although Scottish and Irish families (clans) are generally very tight-knit, but not always.

Blog Entries

First of all a tribe is not
    Native tribes of the U.S. (Native Americans), Australia (Aborigines), for example lives in tribes (there family only) units.
    Maybe I'm reading this wrong, you indicate that a tribe is a family.

A tribe is:

A unit of sociopolitical organization consisting of a number of families, clans, or other groups who share a common ancestry and culture and among whom leadership is typically neither formalized nor permanent.

There are many of us on the board, not just you, who have lived and experienced living around the world. Yes, there are formalized tribes in many parts of the world. Your statement
    I have spent time in many countries, and just about every one I have been to, the people are very "tribal" by nature. . .not in the U.S. though. It is
    every man for himself
    is kind of devoid of intelligence or as sinine.

Maybe in "your" ideology and your actions
    every man for himself
    . Many, no I will say most Americans do not feel this way. If we did, the U.S. would not be the number one country in the world that spends billions and billions of dollars on foreign aid, not to mention the aid that we, the U.S. Government give to those in need in this country.

Maybe you have some kind of weird agenda with your statements, or maybe, I just read too much into your words.
    Last edited by FVR; 11-17-2007 at 09:50 PM.

Thumbs up

No FVR, I have no "weird" agenda.

The U.S. and the people in it are $$$ driven. The old saying goes "What's the bottom line ($)"

The U.S. is so busy giving foreign aid (so that they "the politicians") look good that we forget about our own (American citizens.) Take a look at the aftermath of hurricane Katrina. The illustrious gov't wants the private sector to pay to rebuild it. Where's all that foreign aid money now?? Oh yeah, that only for foreign countries.

Everybody, with the exception of the Native Americans, is a foreigner. So in essence helping out people in this country is "foreign aid!!"

Big companies too, use this land and its people for all they can get out of them and then leave, dumping their workers and caring less what happens to them. As long as they (the big co.) can make their money!! "EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF!!"

America is so busy trying to look good for the other countries that we have lost sight of what truly matters. . . ."The people of the Americas!!

I'm not saying that I am the only one who has been around the world. I am simply saying that the tribes I have had the pleasure of visiting and observing are like a well-oiled machine working in harmony together, yes I am aware that they have their difficulties, but the white man of the U.S. are all for "themselves," be-damned anyone who stands in his way! I have seen it too many times, in everyday life.

Blog Entries

I can not and will not think like that. The US gives alot of money to it's own citizens in need. Are there screw ups and mistakes, of course. From what I've seen around the world, the only reason they are not like the US, is that they just have not evolved to it yet.

To me, it sounds like you are speaking of one specific political party. Yes, I do agree with you that we send too much money abroad, also that the politicians do it to further their careers in politics.

Of course money plays a big part of the US economy, duh. The US has and many companies have gotten the idea of selling debt, so of course all the debtors main interest is money. It has to be.

You want to look at Katrina, well let's. The Bush admin. is getting slammed for decisions that Dem. leaders made. It's a no win situation. How about all the freebies that many American citizens donated to those that lost it all in La.? You don't speak of that. You like many others fall victim to the propoganda of the media, and expect the US government to pick up the full tab. How about the homeowners that were warned and chose to stay? I know, personally a few that lived through Katrina, living in La. They lost it all, they almost lost their lives, yet when I talk to them they say, "they" should have takend responsibility and listened to the warnings.

You forget to mention how the good ol private sector raised their construction hourly rates to rebuild Katrina's victims homes, oh, but that would not give you ammo to disgrace the US Government.

You can alway find fault, that's the easy part.

Nativedude I would say it is amazing that you can remain oblective in fact I would say it is impossable. You obveisiously have your side in this argument and regardless of our side is human nature . I have also been all over the world and been a student of history and human behavior. Everyone at one time or another migrated to this continent and all the native tribes as well people argue, fight , become jelious and even evil tribes have wared against each other taken slaves stole where is the harmony in this. It sounds like you want to blame someone for something. You say you are 1/8 native in a lot of tribes that won't get you in the door . I think you see technology as the enemy and even you say your home is a primitave log cabin you still embrace technology by getting on line. I am an earthling my self and think someone who doesn't embrace al the people of the world as equals and deserving understanding and compassion is a biggot, racist and has poison in his heart I call them anti social criters.and they wil probably never be happy until they understand they are Earthling like everyone else.
    I also think there is hope for al.
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

The last thing I want tis to get into a pissing match over politics, world events, and world history!! But, I do not like how the gov't (be it the dems. or repubs.) is trying to force this world into a global economy. PERIOD!! Nuff said.

Hop. . .I accept and respect that others have their own opinions. I was simply expressing mine, and no I am not a fan of technology. This computer is one I borrow while I am visiting family. I do not own any electronics, except for a handmade hand crank generator, and 1 video camera w/3 batteries. I record my adventures in the woods to show my family when I come to visit.

My last statement on this topic is:
    WE THE SHEEPLE. . .BAA! BAA!!

F.Y.I.; I get online because I would rather spend my time, while amongst the herd, talking to people of the same ilk as I. I am here to talk about the outdoors and all the fun we (the people on this forum) have in the woods, fields, lakes, streams, oceans, etc.

Blog Entries

Nativedude,

Maybe you're a sheep, but many here are not. We have put our lives on the forefront at one time or another, we accept that the US may not be perfect, but it's a he ll of alot better than most other places in the world.

We support our government even though we do not always agree with out government. If you want to build a cabin and hide yourself away, that's fine, to each his own. But to make a statement like your sheep statement, defacing the US Constitution just shows me that you are a POS scum.

This is my last statement to YOU, Nativedude on this subject.