Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you make these

Default How would you make these

Ok in a worst case scenario how would you make a bow and arrow to hunt?

Out of a Willow tree branch, cause it would be pilable enough. Use another leaved branch and tie together. As for the flint, well, I will have to think on that. I suppose I would use a sling shot. Or maybe just the rocks. How about fishing? I think I could make a pole eaiser that a bow and arrow.

Today I found a large leg bone down by the creek. Cow? Horse? It was fresh. The bone was thick. I broke the bone with a large rock and it produced heavy, wide shards of bone that would make great arrowheads. You can abrade the bone pieces on rough stone to give them shape and a very sharp point. Much easier than flint knapping, too. The other splinters of bone will make great gorge hooks for fishing or small spear points for frog or small game spearing. I can make sewing needles from the even smaller pieces of bone.
    Last edited by Bowcatz; 02-20-2007 at 12:05 AM.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

The bone shards are a good idea ....the bow would be fairly easy, but the arrowheads themselves would take some looking around!

I'd probably lean toward making spears, first, because it would be faster. I'd take solid sticks and sharpen the edge. If a knife were available, I might try to notch the tip as well.

I've never even thought about how to make a bow and arrow. My husband does flintknapping, so the arrows wouldn't be the problem, if he were with me. I've watched, but never have actually done any knapping myself. I have a basic idea of how they're made, though.

I would think that you'd want to find some wood that was stable, yet somewhat limber so that you could attach the string. Now, I don't know where you'd get string, unless you pulled them from your shoes.

The best natural bow strings are made from sinew (animal muscles). So generally speaking if you want a bow of any strength you have to kill something first to make the bow string. (So make a spear first which was already mentioned). Also, I know a lot of folks think of using super limber woods to make bows. This is generally a bad idea. The best wood is Osage Orange, (also known as hedge apple), or Yew. Barring that, anything that can take 30 pounds of weight and spring back to its original shape after the load is taken off. Also, don't use vines and things to make a string, they just break unless you know how to braid the flax. If you can't get a draw weight of at least 10lbs don't expect to kill *anything* with it. I had a toy bow sold to me as a "hunting bow" with a draw weight of 10lbs and it could not penetrate at all. (Oh well it was $2 at a garage sale). You really should shoot for 25lbs or more.

I would make a spear. You can get much more accuracy from that than any bow (unless of course you put some time into it and are experienced with bow making). The arrows you produce may not fly straight, they will most likely break often and aren't worth the time. There are far far better ways to catch food in an emergency than making a bow.

I've read tons of archery books about taking deer with archery gear and the books suggest a draw weight of no less than 45 pounds for a small deer.

Personally, I would create as many traps, drop holes (pits), and nets as possible to capture game. I could use the spear to kill the game without touching it when I find it trapped. Traps are like hunters with their own particular skill waiting for the game to get snared, fall in, or get hung up in. The more you have out there, the more hunters you have aiding you in getting meat.

Snapping turtles, rabbits, and even deer can leave deep, open wounds with their defenses like teeth, claws, or sharp hooves. Snapping turtles have huge claws and a very sharp mouth. They are quick, too. Can take off a finger or nose like that. (Snaps fingers.) A large catfish can spine the heck out of your hand if you grab for them without any experience in doing it before. Noodlers can proudly show you some really good puncture scars from grabbing cats the wrong way. I guess most of us have seen the doofus get attacked by a large buck after pouring Doe-n-Heat on himself and going out among the deer herd armed with a compound bow and not much common sense. It's over at YouTube, in case you haven't. I hope this link for it works. Sometimes they don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJUvLInmo0U
    Last edited by Bowcatz; 02-22-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    With Christ, all things are possible.

my friend made one once using a small tree and 550 paracord, it didn't work so well.
    I would go with the spear idea also, horseshoe crab tails make good spear/arrow heads if you have those around. I would make more then one spear, nothing like missing the first shot an not havin anything to fall back on. I would also lash a chunk of something to a stick to use as a club along with the spear. The reality of it is that if i do manage to stick an animal i'm probably just going to slow it down unless i somehow manage to hit it in a vital spot, so i'd use the club to beat it to death after i speared the poor beast. I recomend hitting a critter in the head with your club, it ends it fast but make sure it's not just passed out before you try to clean it.

That dude on man vs wild used a stick, he took the bark off so it would fly faster an he was chuckin it at this stump for practice and then he popped a rabit in the head with the thing.

I think I would try a deadfall to take a deer, as deer like people tend not to look up thus the tree stand.pit traps would require far to much digging and in a worst case situation would take to much time.If there were more than 1 person driving off cliff,into water,onto ice ,etc

if your in a survival situation make traps and snares , they work alot beter and are easier to make

The Chances of making a good bow with your bare hands is very low, unless your a master fletcher
    sanity is for the weak

Blog Entries

I've made many, many primitive bows. If I was in a survival situation, I'd make a spear.

Making a bow would take up more time than it's worth. Yesterday, while doing an MME event, (boring sit on your arse job for 16 hours watching an air compressor and a vacuum unit) I noticed some nice dried rivercane. Found two nice stout straight pieces, cut down with my Gerber to 29 inches and sat down and knapped two arrowheads. (Always take a knapping kit) Did not attach feathers as the only ones I could find were from a turkey processor and they were just nasty. It took about 4 hours to create next years hunting arrows.

If I was to make a good killing bow, it would take a day if'n I could find a good piece of hickory. I make all my bows without power tools so I know what I would be in for. As long as I had a sharp little ax, I'm in business.

Rather.

Sit down, knapp a spear head, attach to a nice straight piece of bamboo or a large shoot. Then find a hardwood stick with a stought branch, break off about 1/4 inch from base. Wala, you have a atlatl.

Then it's time to practice.

Good survival pieces, make up some trade points from an old sawblade you have laying in the garage. They are flat and you can stack as many as you want in a small area. You may even want to file down a dull edge on them, to sharpen in the field just run a smooth rock down the blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowcatz View Post
    I've read tons of archery books about taking deer with archery gear and the books suggest a draw weight of no less than 45 pounds for a small deer.

Personally, I would create as many traps, drop holes (pits), and nets as possible to capture game. I could use the spear to kill the game without touching it when I find it trapped. Traps are like hunters with their own particular skill waiting for the game to get snared, fall in, or get hung up in. The more you have out there, the more hunters you have aiding you in getting meat.

Snapping turtles, rabbits, and even deer can leave deep, open wounds with their defenses like teeth, claws, or sharp hooves. Snapping turtles have huge claws and a very sharp mouth. They are quick, too. Can take off a finger or nose like that. (Snaps fingers.) A large catfish can spine the heck out of your hand if you grab for them without any experience in doing it before. Noodlers can proudly show you some really good puncture scars from grabbing cats the wrong way. I guess most of us have seen the doofus get attacked by a large buck after pouring Doe-n-Heat on himself and going out among the deer herd armed with a compound bow and not much common sense. It's over at YouTube, in case you haven't. I hope this link for it works. Sometimes they don't.

I know this isnt funny,this could happen without the doe scent addition,but I laugh until I cried..but it does show one of the dangers of being in nature that some people dont even think about.

earthskills.com has a course on bow making and other stuff outdoors

Balneário Camboriú, Santa Catarina Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Bowcatz View Post
    I guess most of us have seen the doofus get attacked by a large buck after pouring Doe-n-Heat on himself and going out among the deer herd armed with a compound bow and not much common sense. It's over at YouTube, in case you haven't. I hope this link for it works. Sometimes they don't.

I hadn't seen that video. WOW. You know that has to be embarrassing.

One of our guides, Arrildo, is a Borôro indian and he makes bows by hand. They are long bows and really beautiful and unbelievably strong. He lets the wood soak in water for about a year before he makes them. He's killed deer, crocs and jaguars with them, plus a whole bunch of other animals.

Blog Entries

When I lived in S.Cal. we use to go spearfishing. Had alot of success with a Hawiian sling. Basically it was a spear with surgical tubing at the back. You would wrap the surcial tubing around your wrist and stretch the tubing back and hold. When you saw a fish, just get close, withing 6 to 8 feet and let go.

Prob. would work great for fish in streams.