Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fit a leather holster to your pistol.

Default How to fit a leather holster to your pistol.

We do a lot of driving our side by side UTV on fire and power line access trails. As there are a lot of 4 legged critters here, I carry a firearm. As OWB or IWB holsters are not easily accessed quickly in the UTV, I purchased a leather chest holster.
    Everyone is familiar with the term "holster wear" or areas of a firearm's finish show wear due to rubbing the holster.
    The holster came with isopropyl alcohol and instructions. Basically, put the pistol in a plastic bag and spray the area(s) of contact with the isopropyl alcohol. Both where the pistol rubbed and the thumb break now fit perfectly.

Hopefully, this will be of help to those who carry with a leather holster.

That's good to know. Since I got my pistol, I'm using a cheap hoslter made from the same material that a diving suit is made, something called "neoprene", it's a mix of nylon and rubber. I can only carry my weapon in a concealed way so that's ok, but when I see my friends at the range with their leather holsters, I can't deny that there's nothing like leather. It has a "classic" feeling.
    Maybe when I buy a revolver I will also buy a leather holster.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Over time, revolvers usually show holster wear near the barrel close to the muzzle and the cylinder. For varmints and pests, my father carried a Ruger Single 22RF/22Mag for many years and it shows holster wear.

My CZ's pistol guard was rubbing and the security strap was a bit too short. When they said to use isopropyl alcohol, I had never heard of that before. Per their instructions, I put the pistol in a plastic bag and wet the areas with isopropyl alcohol and inserted the pistol. I can't testify to the trigger guard; however, the strap stretched.

I have made a few holsters over the years.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is beautiful.

Excellent stitching and the pattern is perfect. I figured you made more than a few holsters.

Tim, who was the sexton at our church has cancer according to the doctors he has a few years to live. I drop off magazines for him to read and I printed pictures of your knives. Tim isn't formally educated; however, he has more common sense and is an excellent farmer.
    He thought your machete was one of those fancy knives in Blade magazine.

Thank you for the kind words.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thank you for sharing your work!!

why is there no bevel on the edges at the top of the mag pouches? Also, they cover a lot more of the magazine than necessary to hold the mags in place. That will slow down your reload (a lot).

didnot,
    If the was a bevel, it would be on the inside for loading and would contribute nothing to its extraction.

You kind of lost me.
    As a belt secures the magazine so it doesn't move as it is pulled and the magazines are easy to grab what is the problem?

If you want to see difficult and slow; search for WWII or Vietnam 45 ACP magazine pouches. Or the Chicom AK or US M16 carriers.

How fortunate you don't have to carry them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    didnot,
    If the was a bevel, it would be on the inside for loading and would contribute nothing to its extraction.

You kind of lost me.
    As a belt secures the magazine so it doesn't move as it is pulled and the magazines are easy to grab what is the problem?

If you want to see difficult and slow; search for WWII or Vietnam 45 ACP magazine pouches. Or the Chicom AK or US M16 carriers.

very funny. If you knew what a fast mag swap WAS, you'd not ask me such a question. You need to get three fingers around the exposed part of the mag, or you'll take twice as long to get it into the gun. 1 second is a fast mag swap, not 2 seconds. EACH enemy can fire at you 4-5x per second. So just handing each of them 4 "free" shots at you, by having such mag pouches is pretty ridiculous. The bevel n the outside of the mag pouch "mouth" is to show that you know and care about the looks of your leatherwork.

Don't worry didnot. I didnot make these for you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

How refreshing that we once again have someone that knows everything about everything. I've got my popcorn and soda. I'm ready to learn.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you are engaging an "enemy" who is firing at you at 4-5x per second, and you are down to your pistol and three mags, there have been some serious logistical errors prior to that or you're just SOL no matter how fast you dump mags and reload... Shooting back doesn't mean they are not...

Alan

A Holiday Toss is brewing? tick tock...
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

And we are all weathered in and incredibly bored!

We have seen this level of arrogance before. Similar attitude too. Remember that guy with the specially trained attack chihuahua he had "debarked" that advocated use of the attack wheelbarrow and intended to float in a raft down the Mississippi with a silenced Ruger 10/22 and rule the world? Good old Gunkid.

Then we had Blade a few years back. We played with him for more than a month before Crash got bored and banned him.

Now we have a guy telling us we were fools for carrying the only things the U.S. government provided for us in a situation where we could get nothing else!

I carried those cumbersome transport devices in times past. Lined myself around the middle with as many as I could get my hands on.

In the process of those endeavors I learned several real life things about reloading under pressure. First was that when attacked you generally do not return fire and dump a magazine empty first. You take cover.

Second was that you never shot a magazine dry. You shot while trying to reach cover and when you had cover you changed mags. That makes your carrier irrelevant.

My DI referred to it as standing there with an empty gun in one hand and your D!*k in the other. You got to do pushups for that.

It takes one second for a fast mag change, it takes three seconds to realize your slide is locked back on an empty mag, then another second for the change.

And no, you can not keep count on a 14-17 shot mag under threat of life pressure.

All this modern speed shooting at contests and video gaming have clouded reality.

That said I believe that ones mag carrier should match his belt, holster and wallet and enhance his clothing. Sloppy attire is not acceptable for serious social interactions.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-24-2022 at 06:49 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by didnot View Post
    very funny. If you knew what a fast mag swap WAS, you'd not ask me such a question. You need to get three fingers around the exposed part of the mag, or you'll take twice as long to get it into the gun. 1 second is a fast mag swap, not 2 seconds. EACH enemy can fire at you 4-5x per second. So just handing each of them 4 "free" shots at you, by having such mag pouches is pretty ridiculous. The bevel n the outside of the mag pouch "mouth" is to show that you know and care about the looks of your leatherwork.
    I'm tickled silly you found it funny.

I used to compete so I know how to execute a fast mag swap..
    However, that was with highly tactical civilian gear, but not with the gear issued to soldier..

I must admit, you're quite amusing.

kyratshooter, Well said. OTOH, it fell on dead ears.

Last time, I ran into Gunkid, he was using Registror as his screen name..

Last edited by VnVet; 12-24-2022 at 07:44 PM.

I wonder if a bevel on my underwear band would help. I'm getting older and find that a few extra seconds making it to the bathroom would be a huge benefit. I can see where three fingers achieving "the grip" on the band would be down right handy. The bevel on the outside of the underwear is to show that you know and care about the looks of your tidy whities.

That Rick, quite the fashionista influencer!

Alan

OH, no pictures please....

Alan