Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catch and release or catch and eat?

you don't always need the posted warning to know if a body of water is too sick to eat from. i suppose i'm picky.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Several states had issued fish consumption advisories a few years back. From what I recall, they were mainly a caution to women under the age of 45 (child bearing years). Very similar to this but more strongly worded. I know the State of Florida has issued warnings about specific fish and specific locales from time to time. The big scare for me is from Ciguatera. I know two people who have been affected by it and it isn't pretty.
    "Squirrels are just rats with better PR." -- Anonymous

the reason it's a risk to women of child bearing years is that many pollutant toxins such as PCBs are boiaccumulative, and high levels can cause serious harm to a fetus even years after consumption. such pollutants are still highly toxic to the first hand consumer, and will build up over years untill they cause problems like cancer, organ damage, etc. i just try to stay away from them, i'm exposed to enough toxic and carcinogenic substances on a day to day basis that i will certainly limit the exposure i can avoid, such as dietary intake, improper handling/storage, etc. i'd rather have cancer or chronic renal failure at 80 than at 30-40.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

fargus: yep. I think most states publish something. The fish in GA tend to be fairly good but there are notable exceptions. Lake Hartwell for example has had enough industrial pollution that the recommendation is no one should eat hybrid bass period.

canid: and that's why I don't mind cleaning 25 bluegill so the whole family can enjoy a fish dinner that's at the high end of the "clean" list. Besides thats about the best tasting anyway.

The frustrating and disturbing thing is some of the lakes that should be the most pristine and isolated from industrial pollution fall victim to mercury in the rain. By all outward appearances they look wonderfully clean.

yeah, young bluegil are prime, and i never minded cleaning a grip of them either, when you can pull 25 out in an hour on a good day and a good lake/pond.

i always go with the goal of catch and eat but if its something not so tasty its usually thrown back although i'm pretty open to anything

I catch to eat. But I'm picky about what I keep. Larger fish are going to be older thus having more toxins. With the exception of salmon that only live 5 years anyway. I release all my large walleye because they just taste fishy.

Large lake run trout are also very toxin rich and poor tasting. Large stream run trout are going to be thinner fish and taste fine typically. Panfish of any variety are excellent eating and typically do not live long enough for the toxins to build to an unhealthy level.

There are some bodies of water that I totally avoid and some species of fish I totally avoid. In general selective harvest is a good tool to use if you want a good tasty meal.

You can also minimize the toxins by removing the belly meat and excess fatty tissue from the filets that typically are found on larger game fish. This is the area that holds the toxins.

I love my Brook Trout... Breakfast of champions, yummy! When I'm up in northern Vermont, I catch and eat it "every" morning with my eggs. I have a stream that runs by my cabin, that's just full of Brook Trout. I guess part of the reason is my nearest neighbor is about 5 miles away, and he doesn't have access to it. I've offered but he hates fish. For those that aren't familiar with Brook Trout, their small, have no scales and when you fry them in a pan, the bones just lift out in one piece, some of the sweetest fish you'll taste.
    Last edited by Gray Wolf; 08-20-2008 at 03:03 PM.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    I love my Brook Trout... Breakfast of champions, yummy! When I'm up in northern Vermont, I catch and eat it "every" morning with my eggs. I have a stream that runs by my cabin, that's just full of Brook Trout. I guess part of the reason is my nearest neighbor is about 5 miles away, and he doesn't have access to it. I've offered but he hates fish. For those that aren't familiar with Brook Trout, their small, have no scales and when you fry them in a pan, the bones just lift out in one piece, some of the sweetest fish you'll taste.
    I agree 150% awesome fish!

catch em, eat em, though I will pass on carp...they look like big goldfish...oh, yeah, they are aren't they?

It depends, if the small mouth are biting steady I get tired of eating them after awhile. I don't get tired of catching them though. My MIL and I are about the only two that can eat a lot of fish in the family. Everyone else will eat some of it, but it does not agree with them much of the time.
    Salmon and Steelhead though, they do not get thrown back (unless the law says that have to). Same goes for Sturgeon.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

depends.. panfish we usually bring home and eat. If i'm wading for bass they all get released except for the whites and hybrids (smallmouth bass).. they are just too darn tasty. bluegills, crappie, sunbream, etc, they are usually still wiggling when they hit the grease.. yum!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

there are regulations here on how much fish you can eat per week and some per month because of mercury poisoning
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. Helen Keller

My Plants
    My skills
    Eye Candy
    Plant terminology reference!
    Moving pictures

Most of the inland fishing I do is catch and release. Except for maybe a trout here and there.

Surfcasting is all catch and eat, if legal sized and edible.

Quote Originally Posted by YCC
    there are regulations here on how much fish you can eat per week and some per month because of mercury poisoning
    That depends on where you live. The lake I live on has no restrictions. The DNR takes flesh samples for testing and, so far, the lake is clean.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I catch and release, cant stand eating fish, stinks to high heavens and makes me wanna projectile vomit.... hurrrrp, see I might have done it a bit in my mouth just thinking about it.
    Trooper on the other hand would eat anything placed on his plate. Loves catfish, and salmon, and white fish.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

catch an release is just shameful Beo.

you should just take me fishing with you. that way when you have all the luck, i can just take them off your hands for you.

In case anyone doesn't know by now, Canid is a cheap date.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    catch an release is just shameful Beo.
    Why is that shameful? If it hurts to get hooked the stupid fish shouldn't try stealing my bait!!!
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

oh sure; in an ideal world.

in an ideal world they should all just hop into my skillet.