Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Catch and release or catch and eat?

Definitely catch and release. The two big lake systems above and below Charlotte are so polluted, I don't even like swimming in them, much less eat out of them!
    "Be prepared, not paranoid!"

the only really polluted waters here are lake winnipeg and the red deer river and i still catch healthy clean fish every time. but if it was really polluted i might just give up on fishing alltogether
    This member asked that their user name be changed. They acknowledged that most of what they have posted in the past was less than truthful. Hence the reason for the signature post.

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

I live where people from all over the US come to fish for Walleye. It is definately cath and eat. (Maumee River in Ohio)

However, it really depends on the type of fish
    Catfish, Perch, Walleye, Bullhead = Eat
    White Bass, White Perch, Sheephead = Crap
    Trout, Bass, Carp = Depends (On my mood of the day)

In Montana it really depends on the fishery. Many of the rivers here are wild fisheries. That means they are not stocked by fish hatcheries, and so the rule is predomnatly catch and release for Trout. In the lakes, if they are stocked, then its "hook 'em and cook 'em"...again this is for Trout.
    Other species are mainly keep and eat.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I usually fish out of the waterways surrounding the Gulf of mexico. Either way, if it's edible it ends up getting eaten. Although I rarely fish out of the Mississippi river because of the pollution levels, yet at times i do. I've seen 60 lb catfish pop out of those waters.

Normally I go for Garfish or Redfish depending on the area, but I almost never throw anything back. I dont even think there are catch and release streams anywhere around LA state.
    If our perception of reality is only touch, taste, smell, sight, and sound then kill me now. Although if our perception of how we FEEL about these senses is reality (the smell of the forest or the inspiration of the stars at night) then let me live forever in their midst.

qoute-CJF

Blog Entries

I usually only get to fish a couple of times in the summer. So I keep every salmon I catch. It helps to offset the cost of meat during the winter. I try to freeze about 50 lbs of salmon for the winter.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

I mostly fish for catfish around the house, but I do make a few trips a year for redfish and speckled trout. If I don't eat it, I don't wanna catch it. If it is legal size, I will try to fill my limit. I don't care to eat bass, so I do not fish for them. So for the most part, it's catch and release.......INTO THE GREASE!!!! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by catfish10101 View Post
    I mostly fish for catfish around the house, but I do make a few trips a year for redfish and speckled trout. If I don't eat it, I don't wanna catch it. If it is legal size, I will try to fill my limit. I don't care to eat bass, so I do not fish for them. So for the most part, it's catch and release.......INTO THE GREASE!!!! LOL.
    Now who would have thought tha you mostly fish for catfish
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

catch and release here because Ohio's waterways are in bad shape, that and I hate fish.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Catch & release unless caught in three local lakes, then I clean & give away to older folks that can use the food.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Catch and eat, either ourselves or give them away.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We catch and eat. I find catch and release disrespectful to the fish; guess the equivalent for humans would be when bears or alligators start catching and handling humans because they find it fine sport and then release them. Don't think anyone would find that fun.
    Actions speak louder than words

That's a perspective I hadn't considered, WW. I appreciate the post.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't bother dropping a hook in any water that I think might produce fish that I can't eat. Catch 'em and grill 'em as someone mentioned a couple of posts back.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    We catch and eat. I find catch and release disrespectful to the fish; guess the equivalent for humans would be when bears or alligators start catching and handling humans because they find it fine sport and then release them. Don't think anyone would find that fun.
    You say patatoe I say potatoe, and I'm on the top of the food chain for a reason, God gave man dominance over the beast of the field, foul of the air, and fish of the water.
    Last edited by Beo; 06-16-2008 at 12:43 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

i think her point was why torture it if one is not inclined eat it. i consider food need and fishing a fair means of aquiring it, and otherwise i'd never stick hook or point in the water.

on the otherhand, if a bear decided to eat my a@# i'd fight back like anybody, but i wouldn't hold a grudge.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I printed this thread and I'll just show the bear the post and tell him I agree. That should settle the score.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I was joking, I do very little fishing because I do not like fish, and man is not on the top of the food chain just the top of the list for killing everything in the food chain.

alone we march

There are men who spend a weeks wages on a rod, catch a fish, throw it back, then go and spend more on a fish from a shop,
    And there are others who make a rod from a sapling, catch a fish and eat.
    Which one do you think is the better man?

Pretty much catch and eat for me. I typically don't fish in waters that have warnings about eating anything at all (like lake hartwell). The places I do fish don't have populations which are really going to suffer by me having dinner and I don't have enough time to fish to be in the situation of catching more than I know what to do with. While I've never had a problem with eating fish I always felt a little weird about specifically planning on just catch and release fishing so I rarely do that.

-Dan