View Poll Results: Primitive or Modern which is best.

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Primitive

15 55.56%
  • Modern

13 48.15%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How primitive do you go?

Blog Entries

Default How primitive do you go?

So when you go out trekking, hiking, camping, getting away from the dredges of life, do you go primitive? And if so how prim do you go?
    Just curious to find out.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Sorry I'm not a purist... our thing is backpacking and we use modern gear.

The only primitive thing I bring along is myself.

much of my gear is modern. I like the primitive or rather pre 1800s waay of doing things just have not gone full buckskinner.
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

Banned
    Blog Entries

We strip naked, put extra large loin'cloth on. And that is it. Just the loin'cloth. In the rainy season we wear a rubberized loin'cloth......

Blog Entries

DragonJimm you would like the group I go trekking with then, we do historical trakking from the 1750s to 1770s, My gear for all this consists of:
    Hat: French Cap (TUQUE, blue) for winter, and a head scarf or felt blank for summer.
    Shirt: Cotton Hunting Shirt 3each
    Leggings: Wool (Dark blue trimmed in yellow), long Canvas gaiters (Brown)
    Garters: Hand Woven & Leather Strap Type
    Sash: Hand Woven
    Breechclout: Wool, Dark blue trimmed in yellow & deer hide
    Breeches: French Button Fly 2 pair
    Moccasins: Dark Brown Ligonier Moc by Arrow Moccasin's
    Haversack or Snapsack: Canvas with 36-inch tumpline with the following items inside:extra leather thongs (36in. long 10 each), Tin Cup (2) Castile Soap (2) Candle (3) Sewing & fishing kit, Whetstone, Bag of parched corn & jerky, Tea Block, Pouch of tobacco and pipe, Patch knife, Forged fork & Spoon, Tin Boiler, salt and herb horn.
    Possibles Bag: Leather, holding the following items inside: Frizzen Stall,1-Bullet Bag holding 20 .62 cal. round ball, 1-Cow’s Knee, 1-Priming Horn, Leather Flint Packet (5 pieces of flint), 1-Tin of bees wax & tallow, 1-Hand Forged Screwdriver, Bag of tow, Loading block (tied to strap of possibles bag), Vent Pick & Brush, Pouch with different ramrod tips, tow strips, & paper cartridges (10 each), and extra springs.
    Belt Pouch: Holding the following items: Flint striker & char cloth, cattail fluff, dried moss, and bark tinder in tin, Candle (2)
    Powder Horn tied to hunting pouch strap
    Long Knife (8 to 10 inch blade)
    Hatchet/Tomahawk w/cover
    Flintlock: French Fusil de Chasse (Tulle) with flashguard
    Bedroll: Canvas diamond shelter (waterproofed 10x10)
    Wool blanket (4x6) not used in summer months
    Canvas ground cloth (waterproofed 4x5)
    The diamond shelter is laid out flat with ends folded in, ground cloth is folded to fit next, then the wool blanket (if needed) and rolled tightly and tied with two leather straps, the leather shoulder strap is used as a tumpline (shoulder strap as we call it).
    Canteen: Round Gourd Canteen w/ leather strap
    This is what I carry for up to month, my son the same but the cups are split between us. We always go primitive so this may not seem like much to most but I have used this set up for years and am very comfortable with it. Every once in a while I throw in a hunk of salted meat or bacon.
    Waterproofing Canvas: Nail it to the backside of a woodshed, paint it with an oil-based deck stain and be sure to look at ingredients: label-linseed oil and color pigment, after it dries, turn it over and paint the other side. Very Waterproof. Find a round smooth rock and rub it over entire cloth to soften up. The color of deck stain used should be dark or rusty in color, as it will come out lighter... No Smell No Stickiness as some have found with turpentine mixture, or beeswax mixture.

Modern gear for A modern world. Though going oldschool sounds fun.

The diamond shelter
    What do you do about bugs when using this type of shelter?

I go both ways. It depends what I'm doing. I have a full buckskin get-up and all the rendevous stuff. I used to be pretty into black powder, and archery so I have lots of traditional gear. But, these days I seem to be more modern than anything.
    I actually camped out last night- and I had nothing but a sleeping bag on the ground. that was pretty primitive- didn't build a fire, or even eat. I just went out with a water bottle and sleeping bag and crashed along the river. I just needed to get out for a night. Feel recharged today. It actually is snowing here right now. It seems spring is never going to get here. we had a couple of nice days in May- but not many. wet and cold
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

I'm just getting started into backpacking and I'm definitely all for the most modern, lightest gear I can afford. I want to have enough energy to enjoy the hike and the scenario and the ummmm...nightlife...without being too sore to move.

However, I love starting fires with a flint rock and steel striker or by other not-so-modern methods. And the thought of building my own bough shelter appeals to me too. I may start ditching some of my gear and relying on the things I find along the way to make my stay more comfortable.
    "Be prepared, not paranoid!"

There are times in the winter I go months without shaving my back...How‘s that for stone age.
    I do have the sense though to not go out in the woods shirtless during hunting season.

Other than my Neanderthal genetics its mod for me.

Hunter-Fisher-Trapper Ameriborn's Avatar

When I go out in southern Ohio bowhunting for deer I use an old bow that my Grandpa made for me. I have to be within about 20 yards for a shot, but it is worth it. Other than that I use modern gear. When bowhunting in my backyard I use a Compound bow bought from the store.

I use modern gear - well a couple of the canteens and cups are older than I am ---- does that count as primative?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

depends- well those are not exactly primitve but heck i try
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Depends? Nope, don't need em.....yet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thumbs up

theres a difference in modern backpacking and trekking
    trekking is the path you took not how many miles you got today

@beo...nice kit .....if the cubscouts weren't taking over all of my free time and money I'd be right there with you.
    i have gone two- three days with a
    tin boiler
    plate w/ utensils
    dried corn and jerky
    waterproofed canvas tarp 8x10
    fleece sleeping bag
    wool blanket for winter use
    tomahawk
    belt knife
    single shot .410, considering a small bore muzzleloader
    possibles bag containing
    fire kit
    extra shells
    tin cup /modern canteen
    8 ft hemp rope small roll of masons twine
    fishing kit.
    personal hygiene kit

keep in mind i was dressed in modern clothes
    anything not in the possibles bag or on my belt was rolled into the tarp which was tied at both ends and worn across the shoulders
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

Blog Entries

The gear sounds like a lot but when packed its really not much at all and the weight is pretty low, I'll weigh my kit this weekend as I prep it to get an idea. The muzzleloader comes and goes dependng on where I'm going but is taken most of the time.
    Grundle, never had much of a problem with bugs in this shelter, at night the fire helps a little but the front point of the diamond shelter keeps most bugs away.
    Last edited by Beo; 06-11-2008 at 10:05 AM.

hunter-gatherer Canadian-guerilla's Avatar

for myself, going primitive means enduring hardships
    that were endured hundreds of years ago
    if i know a long weekend is coming up with a nice forecast
    i'll head out with no tent/sleeping bag
    shelter would consist of a 9x6 tarp
    minimal meals ( 1-2 small meals per day )
    and if the night gets a little cold,
    pack up whatever i had and start walking to stay warm
    some people think they're going primitive
    if they start a fire with only matches and no lighter fluid
    the only modern allowances i give myself
    during a primitive weekend is water purification tablets
    and one of my camping knives
    fire striker for when/if i decide to make one
    slingshot with 30 ball bearings
    all inside a homemade pouch/carryall
    made from a leg from a pair of levis
    slung crossways over the back
    the stitching isn't pretty, but it holds
    Knowledge without experience is just information

there are two types of wild food enthusiasts,
    one picks for enjoyment of adding something to a meal,
    and the second is the person who lives mostly on ( wild ) edibles

Lydia

I go modern, as long as there is no TV or phones thats good enough for me.

Blog Entries

Canadian-guerilla, dude you gotta show me how to make ball bearings in the wilderness? 200 years ago they had Levis? Wow didn't know that. JK lol...