Thread: Treating a dog's open wound

Post Treating a dog's open wound

Good evening, everyone.
    It's me again, your old pal Deimos.
    I have a female dog that has cancer, and she developed an big, unpleasant abcess in her belly.
    Yesterday, it turned into an enormous, gaping, open wound.
    The vet said that she can't be operated since she is way too old and it's very, very risky to put her into the anesthesia (he did a test and we are sure that anesthesia would 100% kill her) and even offered to perform euthanasia free of charge.
    Then I took it upon myself to extent her life without putting her into any suffering.
    The first thing that I did was to check for signs of pain, and she looked fine somehow.
    After that, using gloves, I cleaned the wound of any excess debris and pus. It's now a clear wound that looks almost like her normal skin.
    After that, I put applied a topical cream, that contains antibiotics, a healing agent to close the wound (silver-zinc something), then I gave her some oral antibiotics and a small dose of painkillers, jut to be sure, then I bandaged the wound. Oh, and the cream is also supposed to repel flies.
    Today, I cleaned the wounds (there wasn't any more pus or debris), then I changed the dressing and reaplied the topical cream, she is looking fine, it's playing and eating well. I gave her antibiotics again and I didn't gave her any painkillers.
    The wound seems to be closing, I won't sew it or force it to close, since it has to drain, as far as I know.
    Sorry for the big text, it's just that I refuse to let my dog die without at lelast giving it a try.
    If I can't save her, and she starts to look like a being that is suffering, of course that I would kill her with an well-placed shot.
    But she's recovering, as far as I can see.
    Of course, closing her wound won't cure her cancer, but it will grant her a longer and healthier life.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

That's a pretty good job. She's not fooled ng with the bandages, right. Topical creams aren't usually good to use internally. But if she isn't lucking it off...

I usually use peroxide and let them lick. Despite common belief that dogs' mouths are filthy, their saliva contains an effective antibiotic called "lysozyme".

I ripped holes in both my knees last year and my dog got to them before I could stop them. I attribute some of the fast healing to him (I'm pretty fast without help.) Frankly, I didn't want him licking ng me because I didn't want him getting germs from me.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

If the vet is willing to euthanize your dog free of charge, I would think that would be much more humane than a well placed shot. There is always the chance that you might miss the first time and unintentionally cause the dog pain. When I was a kid I found a turtle some guys had thrown down and cracked the shell. A neighbor put a .22 round through it and gave it back to me to bury it. Sadly, the turtle was still alive and he had to shoot it again. We can often be well meaning and still wind up doing the wrong thing. I wish the best for your dog.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If the vet is willing to euthanize your dog free of charge, I would think that would be much more humane than a well placed shot. There is always the chance that you might miss the first time and unintentionally cause the dog pain. When I was a kid I found a turtle some guys had thrown down and cracked the shell. A neighbor put a .22 round through it and gave it back to me to bury it. Sadly, the turtle was still alive and he had to shoot it again. We can often be well meaning and still wind up doing the wrong thing. I wish the best for your dog.
    If I have to kill my dog, I won't use my .22LR, I will borrow my dad's old but reliable shotgun.
    But I don't think that my doggo reached the end of her life just yet. She's playful and she is eating well.
    My only concern are infections or septic shock, that's why I'm tending her wound with extreme care. As for now, she's confined to her dog kennel, she doesn't have acess to grounf or dirt. When the wound finally heals, I will let her play in the dirt again LOL

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    That's a pretty good job. She's not fooled ng with the bandages, right. Topical creams aren't usually good to use internally. But if she isn't lucking it off...

I usually use peroxide and let them lick. Despite common belief that dogs' mouths are filthy, their saliva contains an effective antibiotic called "lysozyme".

I ripped holes in both my knees last year and my dog got to them before I could stop them. I attribute some of the fast healing to him (I'm pretty fast without help.) Frankly, I didn't want him licking ng me because I didn't want him getting germs from me.
    She's not licking it, I think that it doesn't taste that great LOL. I know that topical creams aren't that good for internal use, but I was in a hurry yesterday and I needed to "seal" the wound so that nothing would enter it, and then a little migth ended up entering the wound.

UPDATE: Looks like she's healing. The wound isn't bleeding and isn't even smelling bad, probably because of the antibiotics and the cream. I will continue to treat her until the wound close.

Don't underestimate all the personal attention you're giving her. That's healing all by itself!

Also, you must have a healer (get it? "healer"?)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Deimos,
    You did well.
    My oldest Pitt is 14 and at 85#, the Vet said it's unique for a Pitt of her size to live that long. She has cysts where her legs meet her body. She has dedicated her life to us as a family member. It is our turn now to take care of her. To make her remaining time as enjoyable and comfortable as possible.
    Same as all dogs, she is territorial. OTOH, when friends visit she is obnoxiously friendly and usually gets confined to the bedroom.

If she needs to be put down, hold her in your arms, talk to her and pet her; she earned it with a life of dedication.

She is still alive and well. I'm not using an all-purpose topical cream, I' treating her with a spray that's intented for use on open wounds. She is healing, but the process is slow. I also made a little "vest" for her, she can't reach the wound and It keeps everything nice and clean. I change the vest daily.

That is great news!

Is there a way to close the wound?

I hope she recovers.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    That is great news!

Is there a way to close the wound?

I hope she recovers.
    Nevermind, pal...
    I managed to fully heal the wound, without any infection, but the cancer reached her lungs. She agonized in the middle of the nigth, and I FaceTimed my vet (he was, no pun intented, in a farm upstate, talking care of some cattle). He told me to give her something for the paind and for the lungs, because she was 100% going to die, but we could make It be in the most humane and painless way possible. I petted her, have her some albutherol and some painkiller, and even after It tales effect, she continued to suffer, cry and shiver. I seen that out vet was rigth. She would not live for long, the wound was only a small symptom of her cancer.
    I gave her some hot compress and she started to breathe better, and then she died soon after. I petted her one last time and then I buried her. This was 3 days ago. Only now my wife is starting to get over it. On my side, I'm sad for her suffering and death, but I'm grateful for the time she was with us. She would always let us know when someone arrived at our house, and she also was GREAT hunting small game with me.
    But at least she is at peace now.
    Last edited by Deimos; 11-13-2022 at 08:35 PM.

Losing our furry kids is tough. Take comfort in knowing that you did what you could for her.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You were with her and that comforted her..

The only bad thing about a good dog is when they die a little of us dies with them.

I can't help but think that y'all's life was better because you were together while you were.

I can't help but think that y'all's life was better because you were together while you were.

Well said, Sir.

I grew up with dogs. My family bred and sold Weimaraners, Vizslas and German Shorthairs. The ones no one wanted to buy, we trained to hunt peasant and quail.
    I'm in my mid 70s and the only time I haven't owned a dog was less than 6 years.

It's been awhile for me, but Vincent's a great friend and companion. I can't imagine me without him...and therein lies the rub...

It's been awhile for me, but Vincent's a great friend and companion. I can't imagine me without him...and therein lies the rub...

Dogs do have a habit of worming their way in our hearts.

I have 2 dogs. The female is friendly to the point of being obnoxious. She's very good at making "I love you" eyes at people. Usually, they buy it and she gets banished to the bedroom. The male lays on the floor in the dining room.