Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Foraging and pollution; how do?

Agreed, curious minds want to know...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Yes, and hurry please... we are getting riper all the time...

Alan
    My wife told me that earlier today.......had to go take a shower.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You see Crash, me and Rick do not have wives to make these observations for us!

By the time we realize we are "ripe" it is because people are throwing rocks at us and trying to make us wear bells around out necks and and shout "UNCLEAN" as we walk to the mail box!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Dang it! So that's why they do that. I've just been prayin' harder. Looks like I need to move up my annual bath.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Although the OP conclusion has some merit, in most cases it could take 30-40 years before signs of an illness from them. SO in short, I would be dead by old age before it caused any harm. The exception to this are like toxic waste leeching into the water supply and soil from Chemical Plants. This is not the normal 'pollution'. I have had friends get Leukemia and other forms of cancer from it

But being afraid to forage from pollution, I would like to know if you are like next door to a nuclear power plant or something to get that kind of fearful reaction

Just remember, if you light a match and the pond catches fire and then the plant you're foraging from burns down... don't eat it.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I have a couple of springs that flow year round. Their origins are out of rock where I can see it meaning no chance of a dead animal upstream.
    From the survivalist view, it's a good thing.

Unless it's flowing out of a cavern where it runs through a floor of 10,000 year old bat guano.....

Alan

Yeah, or, you know, hydrogen sulfite gas or bacteria or who knows. Cave diving. Good stuff. You could probably sell that Guano Water to woke folks for a premo price.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    ... You could probably sell that Guano Water to woke folks for a premo price.
    You know, I would stop whatever I was doing to go do that!

Alan

I know some folks that must have been drinking it. At least they act bat chit crazy.

Ever heard of civet coffee?
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Ever heard of civet coffee?
    I have now. I will politely pass.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I like my coffee when I am the first one to digest it.... I'm not sure what the first person to make Kopi Luwak was thinking... I'm not sure I want to know...

Alan

I've had some sh***y coffee over the years, but that is really going above and beyond to try and achieve that title.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have often pondered on how hungry or thirsty you have to be to be the first person to think...that looks tasty. Of course, there are probably Darwin Awards out there we don't know about too.

Or some disgruntled Filipino wife got up one morning and said to herself, "You know what, I'm making his coffee out of sh** this morning"...

He drank some and said, "This is pretty good Honey! You should sell some!"

And the rest is History...

Alan

Of course, no husband in his right mind would complain. That transcends all geo-political boundaries. If wife No 1 fixed you a steamy hot cup of bat poop coffee, you, too, my friend would give it a sip, a thumbs up, a wink to wife No. 1 and assure her it was the best cup-o-joe this side of Starbucks and she was the prettiest barista you had ever laid eyes on. That's how we stay married.

I like my morning coffe how I like my water. Plain.
    I don't use any cream, milk or sugar.
    But the coffe that I drink during the day, that's another story. I will drink anything that have caffeine. I will even drink Starbuck, maybe a can of monster or even chinese green tea and call It a nice serving of coffe.
    Of course, I won't drink anything stupid like $h|t coffe, 4 loko or coffe without caffeine.
    Last edited by Deimos; 12-11-2022 at 08:32 PM.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.