Thread: What's 'Bombed' on ya?

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Default What's 'Bombed' on ya?

I've tried a lot of things from books, some have worked out great, and others were just horrible experiences.

I read where one guy (McCann?) stated to take a Reynold's Bake in Bag to use in place of a condom for an emergecy water carrier. He said he could swing the full bag over his head, it was so strong.

I bought the bags, filled it with about a quart of water, and didn't even get it lifted out of the sink before it burst on me. Wet dog, wet wife, wet feet, and laughter all around - but Im glad I tried it first. Had I depended on it untested, I'd be a thirsty guy!

I could also never seem to light a fire with steel wool, even though I can get it ignited by itself.

So what have YOU tried that didn't seem to work, or just didn't work for you?
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

For carrying water there are flexible plastic jugs that can be folded up pretty small. They even have nozzles and handles.

Those stupid wire saws don't work, and I've never seen one that looks any better than the one I've got. I still like the idea though so if someone knows of a good one let me in on the secret.

I have never been able to actually spear a fish, it's easier to club them from my experience, you just have to catch them as they float away.

Spiritman's right about most saws... they are just too cheaply made. I don't use them only tried a few times... even then I probably used a hatchet. Spearing a fish? I've done it before, but it was in shallow water and big fish... I only got a few...
    Strider
    I take paths untrodden...

i used to carry the wire saw kind of like a garotte, what a piece of crap broke first time i tried to use it

San Francisco, CA (Or San Freak-Skid Row, if you prefer)

Not to get off track, but here's a good saw:

http://www.equipped.com/pp/pic85.htm

Personally, I've never found myself needing a saw in survival practice, but they're great when camping.

Any other bombs?
    Let freedom ring
    Let the white dove sing
    Let the whole world know that today is the day of reckoning
    Let the weak be strong
    Let the right be wrong
    Roll the stone away
    It's Independence Day

-Martina McBride

Blog Entries

Wire saw that I tried this past Sunday, piece of crap. I do think it will make a good snare.

I onetime picked up one of those magnesium bars and striker in one. The ones you get at Wally world. Thing was a piece of crap, could not get a fire started to save my life. I'll stick with rock and steel.

Default Really?

Quote Originally Posted by FVR View Post
    Wire saw that I tried this past Sunday, piece of crap. I do think it will make a good snare.

I onetime picked up one of those magnesium bars and striker in one. The ones you get at Wally world. Thing was a piece of crap, could not get a fire started to save my life. I'll stick with rock and steel.
    I have one too, but I never use the magnesium that you scrape into a pile, too much work when you don't need it unless everything is wet. It's what I almost always use for lighting fires because it's fun. I want one of the big ones that are just the striker part for my kit.

I haven't gotten the 'light bulb gun' to work. I hear it works good on bears though.

Blog Entries

Cool Magnesium block & flint.

Quote Originally Posted by spiritman View Post
    I have one too, but I never use the magnesium that you scrape into a pile, too much work when you don't need it unless everything is wet. It's what I almost always use for lighting fires because it's fun. I want one of the big ones that are just the striker part for my kit.

I haven't gotten the 'light bulb gun' to work. I hear it works good on bears though.
    The Mag block n' flint is really good when trying to start a fire with wet wood. The US Air Force includes it in their Pilot's Survival gear. I tried one yesterday by scraping a bit off of the block onto some dryer lint & the whole thing went up on the 3rd strike! Took all of 30 seconds!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

If nobody understands the bulb gun joke...

those freeze dried or dehydrated store bought meals that say portioned for two ,they aren't that tasty and the amount is not enough for one and did I mention expensive. I started useing the dehydrator and vacum sealer .
    KNOWLEDGE the ulitmate survival tool

I AM HURT BUT NOT SLAIN, I WILL LIE DOWN AND BLEED A WHILE THEN I WILL RISE UP AND FIGHT AGAIN.

Please! Has anybody seen The Great Outdoors?

spiritman - Please! Has anybody seen The Great Outdoors?
    John Candy Classic...hilarious movie.

Btw, i tried making pine needle tea that i had read about...which didnt work. I crushed the needles to bring the flavor out then sprinkled into boiling water then strained to cup. Tasted pretty horrible, i would just stick with hot water i believe.

Mine was the wally world snake bite kit. The stupid suction cup thingy wouldn,t seal around my shin and I ended up in the hospital for two weeks with a timber rattler bite. My dad bought me a pair of snakebite boots as a get well present and they are all I wear outdoors now. By the way I wasn't even in the wilderness I was in my backyard.

Beware the bald headed bear!!!!
    Last edited by DEET; 08-08-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: sausage fingers

I was carrying some petrol around in a suposidly airtight container so i went to light a fire and as i made a spark the whole thing went on fire
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

lol I bet that was exciting!

and I'm glad ppl understand the bulb gun now!