Thread: Has anyone worked with Sandvik 19C27 Stainless

Default Has anyone worked with Sandvik 19C27 Stainless

Has anyone worked with Sandvik 19C27 Stainless?
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

my father in-law works for sandvik, but i haven't worked with any of their materials myself. if you have a specific question, i could certainly pass it along.

i think he works with the titanium tubing, but i could be wrong. we don't really discuss his work..

I was given a piece, looks like it was a sample, on it is a sticker that has printed:

Sandvik 19C27 Stainless
    Chemistry: C .95 Mn .65 Si .40 Cr 13.50
    Stock Gauge .187

I was pondering using this for a side mounted Tomahawk project.

I haven't used that particular alloy. But most of the Sandvik steels are very "clean" steels. They have less junk mixed in with them. It should be about like the steel in a VIC. SAK.
    Most of them are a bit softer than we would harden say 440c or something like that. I think most around 55-57 rc. But not positive. I have a chart from them somewhere if I can find it, it tells all the mixes of their different alloys. Hope this helps, sorry not much info.

Sandvik 12c27 steel is what i used to use on my knifes, which is very similar to 440c with special heat treatment it is possible to get the edge harder than 57rc, i have a knife (not heat treated by me) that has a edge hardness of 61+-1 rc. but i Don't know if it is similar to 19c27.

If you intend making a cutting object i'd suggest that you look for a Sandvik website and ask about heat treatment. Or you could find a heat treat shop and question them. I my (limited) experience it is not the steel used that ruins a knife' rather it is improper heat treatment of that particular steel that reduces the blade effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by a2tool View Post
    Sandvik 12c27 steel is what i used to use on my knifes, which is very similar to 440c with special heat treatment it is possible to get the edge harder than 57rc, i have a knife (not heat treated by me) that has a edge hardness of 61+-1 rc. but i Don't know if it is similar to 19c27.
    Did you make the blade then send it out to be heat treated?

Quote Originally Posted by a2tool View Post
    I my (limited) experience it is not the steel used that ruins a knife' rather it is improper heat treatment of that particular steel that reduces the blade effectiveness.
    That's what separates a good blade from a bad one (steels used being the same).

Did you make the blade then send it out to be heat treated?
    Actually i was doing a one week knife course and the teacher did the heat treatment, i was 13 at the time and terrified of the electric furnace.