Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was shocked!

Default I was shocked!

Not really, but ....

#1 wife and I went on a hike to Sam's Club this evening (we call afternoon evening because 7:00 PM is getting close to bedtime..) and as I was walking down the aisles I saw the SPAM... It was called Spam Classic and it was $21 and some change for a 12oz package....

At $28/lb I'm buying some kind of fancy beef T-bones from a steer that's been fed bamboo shoots and avocados or sumthin....

At those prices nobody is going to say it tastes bad...

How do you guys afford that stuff?

Alan

Still about $3.20 at the Navy Commissary.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I paid $21 for a ten pack flat at at Aldi about a month ago.

Walmart has the store brand fake Spam, which I like as well as the real thing, for $2.50 12oz can.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I don't know what was up with that price sign. I even got #1 wife to look at it to make sure I was reading it right...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I paid $21 for a ten pack flat at at Aldi about a month ago.

Walmart has the store brand fake Spam, which I like as well as the real thing, for $2.50 12oz can.
    The Walmart lower sodium brand is $1.98 here. The Armor brand is $1.95 at the Navy Commissary. They both taste just like Spam to me. I have stocked up on quite a bit.

Just be careful to get the ones that say pork. The Walmart brand has one variety with "deconstructed chicken" as the first ingredient.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-21-2022 at 06:29 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What could a "deconstructed chicken" be?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Don't confuse me VNVET, I'm still trying to figure out which part is the "nuggets" and "strips".

Deconstructed just means you tore it up!

The thought of chicken spam sends chills up and down me. Don't know why.

Anyone ever bough one of those chickens cooked whole in a can? That was plumb scary!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Don't confuse me VNVET, I'm still trying to figure out which part is the "nuggets" and "strips".

Anyone ever bough one of those chickens cooked whole in a can? That was plumb scary!
    Probably not much different than chicken nuggets at most fast food places. Just another reason that I don't eat at fast food places.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, you confused me, too. :lool:

Deconstructed means they tore it up and not me. OTOH, an Alaskan Ulu does a fine job deconstructing apples or onions

I found red and pink slime scared me so badly I've avoided Mickey Ds etc. ever since.

Once in the late 70s I was working on a ranch in South Texas. The older couple that lived out at the ranch invited me for lunch and I accepted, expecting something along the lines of homemade TexMex and tortillas. They brought out some canned turkey and something else which I can't remember because I was focused on the canned turkey. After eating a small portion I thanked them and excused myself to get back to work.... After rounding the first bend in the road I dumped everything I'd eaten in there, and then some, in the brush on the side of the road. Up to that point in my life I didn't even know that anyone made canned turkey... I haven't had any since either...

Faced with starvation, I will use it to attract buzzards and eat them...

Alan

Canned meat all tastes the same. I think, and this is just me, it all comes from the same factory. They gather up all the road kill from everywhere, cook the crap out of it (maybe not literally) then can it and call it whatever they want. Canned turkey, canned beef, canned pork, canned (fill in the blank) all tastes the same to me. Somewhere in this country is one giant meat canning factory where state workers deliver road kill. I'm not sure how Hawaii gets it there. I'm still working on that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We aren't too keen on canned meat either. It's good as an addition for emergency food.

Once I read a book King Rat that was about what POWs did to survive in a Japanese POW camp. In WWII, the Japanese preferred suicide to surrender; so they treated POWs with unbelievable cruelty where starvation and brutality were commonplace.
    King decides he and his friends should breed rats to sell for food. His comrades, though nearly starving themselves, are repulsed at the idea of eating rat meat, so King comes up with the plan of only selling the meat to officers without telling them the true source. A group of officers who stole money from their underlings are later seen greedily enjoying a meal of what they are told is mouse deer (rusa tikus in Malay), not knowing they are actually eating rat meat. When the camp is ultimately liberated, most of the soldiers have trouble adjusting to freedom. King loses his power and is shunned by the others. Grey ironically thanks King on the grounds that his hatred of King was the only thing keeping him alive. At the end the rats are abandoned in their cages when the camp is abandoned. The final scene has the rats consuming each other one by one, with the final survivor becoming "king of the rats".
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Rat_(Clavell_novel)

In a pure survival situation eating anything to live is doable, I guess..

So, I’ll use the canned Turkey to attract rats and I’ll eat them.

Roaches caught in the lattine by scraping buckets against the sides were also a source of protein in the book.

Alan

SPAM and SPAM-like products are not expensive here. And if you don't like it, there is always sardines and vienna sausages.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

I love sardines. Perfect for a day on the water fishing. One tin around ten and I don’t want anything else to eat for the rest of the day.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    So, I’ll use the canned Turkey to attract rats and I’ll eat them.

Roaches caught in the lattine by scraping buckets against the sides were also a source of protein in the book.

Alan
    You surprised me as you the first other person I've met who read the book.

I can’t send the link. So, never mind. It was gross.
    Last edited by rebel; 09-25-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    SPAM and SPAM-like products are not expensive here. And if you don't like it, there is always sardines and vienna sausages.
    Only with double A (real) maple syrup.

Anyone that has eaten balut can't complain about canned anything. You know who you are.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    You surprised me as you the first other person I've met who read the book.
    Never read the book but have watched the movie a half dozen times over the years.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.